Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11202122 LastLast

Thread: Welsford Sundowner build

Default Re: Welsford Sundowner build

Other than that I have cut all the cushions inside which have now been covered by my mother, who said it was a nightmare due to angles for the hull, joins between pieces and notches in the foam for frames.

Forward berth:

Main cabin:

Painted the engine box/table/step out to the cockpit:

And made a support for the anchor roller that clamps onto the bowsprit forward and aft of the stem fitting. The piece at the front is the mount for the stainless roller to take the 16kg anchor. It slopes slightly down, but the bowsprit goes up at 12 degrees so interesting job. Has been lined with sections of cheap kitchen polyurethane cutting board for wear and all painted. Photos didn't come out because of sunlight but will follow shortly.

Engine connection waiting, electrical system gauge going in, quotes for sails obtained and chasing riggers. Nearly time to pull it out of the shed I think.

Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Allright Mal! Ship is getting power. Looking forward to see more progress.

Oh so close. Great progress chasing all the little details Mal.

Looks fantastic Mal - great work!!

When you have a bit of spare time .... Back the chainplate fastenings out a bit and put some Tefgel or Duralac between the plates and bolts/screws before tightening them right up. Frequently the 316 plates and 316 fastenings are not quite the same and you get a little bit of harmless but annoying 'corrosion' that can put brown streaks on your topsides. Tefgel or Duralac will help to reduce that.

Rick

Thanks to all for the support, and Rick for the tip. Still working towards this year end hopefully.

Mal
    Quest

Another update after only a month, what has come over me???????????

My father and I have modified the building cradle, bracing the two halves back together after it was cut many moons ago to get the lead keel in. Below is a photo of how it was in Nov13

And after cutting to fit the keel in April15

We have no jacked up the boat and put pieces across the gap (bolted each side with 10mm gal bolts) with extra hardwood also bolted into the gap to strengthen it. The side supports were removed because the will not fit out the door, and hardwood pieces parallel to the keel each side to roll it on added:

The extra height has allowed me to fill the remaining rear keel bolt holes underneath with epoxy/sanding filler, and start painting the underside aft which was previously too close to the ground to get to. Below is looking aft from the rear of the lead keel towards the rudder.

CONT:
    Quest

I have managed to secure a Queensland boat registration number. I was told you can now pick your own, and reserve one for free for six months prior to paying. My boat will be Welsford Sundowner sail number 18, so my boat rego is SUN18Q.

I have also picked a name. After a few comments during building I was thinking of one which was also one of my favourite "Men at Work" songs. I googled to confirm spelling and saw the below on Dictionary.com:

overkill [oh-ver-kil]

noun
    - the capacity of a nation to destroy, by nuclear weapons, more of an enemy than would be necessary for a military victory.
    - an instance of such destruction.
    - an excess of what is required or suitable, as because of zeal or misjudgment.

With some online checking I found an Australia site for boat registration and name stickers (Boat Names Australia - no connection to me but so far so good with service, quality, delivery and ease of application).

Mounting the rego and home port:

Mounting the name:

And a final shot from the side across the transom of the final result:

Short term to do:
    - finish painting under the keel (need more paint)
    - put the final piece of hardwood under the cradle directly under the keel
    - drag it out of the shed.

Medium term:
    - mount mast tabernacle
    - get engine connected.

Mal
    Quest

That's great Mal! And the font is really nice!!

Wet soon!!

Rick

Looks really good Mal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Very nicely done. Colin Hay is one of my all-time favorite singers.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Very nice Mal.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Excellent! Getting her out of the shed and viewing her from a distance and different angles is going to be a whole new perspective/experience

--Mike
    “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go -- so long as you do not stop.”
    -Confucius

so close now i bet you can smell the sea

Thanks all for the thoughts. It is getting closer all the time, and exciting. Looking forward to seeing it from a distance outside soon.

Mal
    Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post

Short term to do:
    - finish painting under the keel (need more paint)
    - put the final piece of hardwood under the cradle directly under the keel
    - drag it out of the shed.

Medium term:
    - mount mast tabernacle
    - get engine connected.

Mal
    The end is in sight, but those damn lists just seem to keep growing, albeit the tasks get smaller and smaller - they breed like mice!
    Curious about the cockpit? drains in the transom, with what looks like a flappy cover - I guess there is a reason they are mounted that way up, but it seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Hi Pete,

I thought the same thing when I was putting them on, I actually started putting the first one on the way I thought they should go (and the same as all the ones I had seen and the way the exhaust one is) with the hinge for the flap at the top. But, when I positioned it I could see a problem.

Below shows how it currently looks from the side, the square against the transom is to give you a horizontal reference point. Note how the cover and also the surface the flap contacts slope down:

drain side.jpg

The one below has a steel rule held against the slope on the inside of the plastic fitting.

drain right.jpg

Below is the same image flipped. You can see when I started to put it on the other way that the slope of the plastic inside would have meant that water coming out of the drains would be held against the transom inside the fitting. I didn't like that idea.

drain upside down.jpg

So I flipped them the way they are currently mounted, meaning the water comes out of the drain which finishes flush with the transom and runs onto the sloped plastic and down/out away from the hull. I don't know if I bought the wrong ones somehow, but I figure the flap will still close upwards with the force of a wave to seal and prevent water going back into the cockpit?

Happy to take advice!

Mal
    Quest

Why does it sit crooked Mal, inside on an angle?

how come you didn’t go out the bottom of hull?

Andrew,
    It sits flat at the back on the vertical transom, the outside cover fitting (I think it is a Vetus brand but cannot remember) design has a slope on it which only really works when it is mounted with the flap at the bottom otherwise it will hold water against the hull.

The boat design has large drains from the rear of the cockpit floor, under the aft cockpit seat which run out through the transom in case the cockpit gets pooped. I just followed John Welsford's plan, but like the minimal holes through the hull under the waterline. I will have only one in the main cabin for engine cooling water (a suggestion has been made to run salt water to the sink as well from the same fitting).

Mal
    Last edited by Quest; 08-17-2019 at 06:09 AM.
    Quest

I would take the flaps off the outlets as I can't see them doing anything. I'd also put a little drip point on the outlet so you don't get a stain line.

Rick

Really good having only one hole below the waterline.

Rick

It looks more like a wet exhaust fitting rather than a drain fitting Mal, in which case the flap would usually hang from the top. (I fitted one that looked somewhat similar on Pau Hana years ago to stop birds nesting in there when I was away from the boat for a few days....they didn’t need more than a few days to start nesting in there.)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

It is weird Greg.

Just found it on BLA

Scupper.JPG

Flush mount scupper manufactured from a combination of white acetyl and delrin for long life. Simply attach over existing hole or through hull fitting. Gravity closing hinged lid.

Says gravity closing hinged lid which would indicate mounting as per the photo, but I still cannot understand why you would have an angle back on the inside which would hold water???

I have to admit they have been annoying me, still time to change them.

Mal
    Quest

I'm guessing they're intended to mount on a angled transom, hinge to the top. But you'd sort of expect there would be at least a vertical transom version available too.

Eta manufactured by Marine East. You can have them in white or black, no other options. They don't even say what the angle actually is.

Pete
    Last edited by epoxyboy; 08-19-2019 at 01:58 AM.

The pressure of the water flowing out is supposed to be enough to open them enough so the water can run out. If you mount them upside down, the flap will just hang open, won't it? I'd mount them the right way up or just leave the flaps off if you don't think there'll be enough outward pressure to open them. Upside down, I just can't see any point in having them.

Rick

Do you have a disc or belt sander Mal? A better alternative, rather than chuck it away, may be to grind the angle down on the hull face a bit so that it suits the angle of your transom while sitting the right way up
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

So, they don't have a tube that runs back into the hull? If they don't, then Greg's suggestion looks good to me. If they do, you could make up a spacer that's angled to give you some fall.

Rick

Having said that .... is the bottom of the scupper actually less than 90 degrees to the back? Similar fittings used for exhaust outlets often have the outer face angled so that the flap stays shut and water drips off the edge ( which rarely works without a drip tip or ring anyway).

Rick

Yeah,
    I think I'll pull them off and "adjust" them if possible with the belt sander. If not, then I can justify replacing them because they'll be stuffed!

Looks like launch is off to first half of next year, house renos have done a number on the boat fund and time available. Also makes it pointless rushing to put it in the water at the end of the year before Christmas and then leaving it for a month. Was a goal, not beating myself up over it. Ordered "Hand, Reef and Steer" as I start looking towards rigging and running lines.

Mal

Mal
    Quest

Yeah,
    I think I'll pull them off and "adjust" them if possible with the belt sander. If not, then I can justify replacing them because they'll be stuffed!

Looks like launch is off to first half of next year, house renos have done a number on the boat fund and time available. Also makes it pointless rushing to put it in the water at the end of the year before Christmas and then leaving it for a month. Was a goal, not beating myself up over it. Ordered "Hand, Reef and Steer" as I start looking towards rigging and running lines.

Mal

Mal
    I’ve learnt that in the boat building world goals are there to be shifted Mal, (though I’m hoping mine has shifted for the last time....)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Indeed Greg. I am still going to keep working as though it was this year so it is launch ready ASAP. But life goes on, it will be done when it is done. I originally said 10 years!

Mal
    Quest

Your boat is looking awesome! Regarding the plastic drain thingamajigs, mount with the hinge at the top and drill a small hole through the bottom to allow that final spoonful of water to drain away... or don't drill a hole and at sea the motion of the boat will probably cause any pooling water to spill out anyway. They don't look right mounted with the hinge at the bottom.

Indeed Greg. I am still going to keep working as though it was this year so it is launch ready ASAP. But life goes on, it will be done when it is done. I originally said 10 years!

Mal
    I like Leo’s (Tally Ho) approach for a deadline. The answer is always, “finished in 2 years” that way when it is finished he will be 2 years ahead of schedule.

Nice build you have here!
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Our local builder always just says it'll be ready for a Christmas.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Your boat is looking awesome! Regarding the plastic drain thingamajigs, mount with the hinge at the top and drill a small hole through the bottom to allow that final spoonful of water to drain away... or don't drill a hole and at sea the motion of the boat will probably cause any pooling water to spill out anyway. They don't look right mounted with the hinge at the bottom.
    Drill a hole! That's a FOTBO - a flash of the blindingly obvious.

Pete

Hadn't come across 'Fotbo' before. If you hadn't explained I would have thought it was the NZ version of Aussie Rules.