Thread: Makita 6952 1/4 Inch Hex Drive Impact Driver 120 V AC

Default Makita 6952 1/4 Inch Hex Drive Impact Driver 120 V AC

I am not a carpenter or expert boat builder! I am building a boat and had a lot of screws to drive and some of them required reaching to the center of the boat and my drill was a pain! So I bought this Makita corded impact driver and am very happy with it. It is expensive at about $200.00 It seems well made and was easy for me to control. If it lasts a while it will be one of my better tool buys!

The picture below is a 3" # 10 auger point screw driven through two 2X4 scraps.

Default Re: Makita 6952 1/4 Inch Hex Drive Impact Driver 120 V AC

If you treat it right it will probably last a very long time until the brushes are worn out which are very easy to replace on a Makita. Makita is one of the most enduring tools on the market.
    basil

The only Makita tools that I've been able to kill are the 1/4 sheet palm sanders. I've used the Makita impact drivers, and they work well. I don't like them at all, because of the noise and vibration involved, but they do work.

i've been on job sites where they are in use..and have to say i'm impressed! they seem to screw into wood and never jump out of the slot.. i say "seem" because i've never gotten anyone to yeild the damn thing for long enought for me to try.

I have the cordless set of Makita hammer drill and impact driver. Very good tools.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Just realize that an impact driver doesn't have a clutch setting. These are powerful tools and will shear and strip a screw, especially soft bronze and SS.

The Makita has a electric brake which helps make it controllable as far as depth to set the screw. Yes it will shear screws. The impact feature which only starts as the screw meets resistance reduces stripping to an amazing degree. So you can over drive and break screws, but stripping is reduced. You can also remove stripped screws better as long as you apply enough pressure to engage the impact feature. So my pro con view is Cons Loud, Vibration and will push screws right through the work. Pros Easy, controllable, reduced stripping. it really shines when you have to drive a screw at arm's length. There is also almost no recoil the tool doesn't seem to jump out of the screw. I have only used it on SS screws.