Thread: Makita 2708 8'' Table Saw

Default Makita 2708 8'' Table Saw

So I've been looking for a table saw for a long time and the advice I'd gotten regarding saws in the $500 range was pretty discouraging. I waited and waited perousing craigslist, but nothing great came around. Finally, I decided to bite the bullet on a saw because though I've gotten pretty good results with my worm drive saw and a cutting jig, I just didn't think I wanted to struggle with it for ripping long, narrow stock for ribbands and the like. Also, the jig method is pretty slow. Anyway, I went to the dreaded HD and picked up their Ridgid $500 stationary saw as I'd heard good things, all the while saying, "I'm going to find a saw on craigslist tonight." I was wrong. I found it the next morning. Timing right for one of the few times in my life, I saw the ad five minutes after its posting, had my son at preschool, so I was there 15 minutes later. It's a Makita 2708 8'' saw on a stand. They were running it with a 7 1/4'' blade which is just fine by me, cheap as they are. The saw seems good, but the fence seems tough to move around, though it feels good and firm once locked in place. Any suggestions on after market fence systems or other accessories I might consider to improve this saw? Mostly I think I'll be ripping 1x stock, (Douglas Fir, SYP, maybe oak?) into thinner strips for longitudinal members and eventually, if the saw proves itself sufficient, ripping strips for a strip build. Thanks all- Aaron

PS- $50 for the saw, by the way.
    "A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

Default Re: Makita 2708 8'' Table Saw

Check out the Rosseau folding stand. There is a fence on the stand so you don't have to deal with Makita's and it's suprisingly accurate. They no longer make a model specifically for the 8" saw, but the present one for the 10" easily adapts to the 8". The best thing you can do for the saw is use a high quality 8" blade and keep it sharp.

I've had good luck with Freud blades and figured I'd give them a try. I'll check out the stand. Thanks for the suggestion. It's a small saw and I know she'll be limited in use, but figured at the price, it was worth a try.
    "A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

Ten inch saw is a lot more useful, no harder to store. The Ridgid is actually a decent tool.

I've heard that, Lew. And I haven't returned the Ridgid yet. It's heavy enough that inertia, (physical as well as my own), may cause it to just stay. I just wanted to see what i could do with the Makita and figured fifty bucks wasn't too bad a risk.

A while back, some woodworking magazine published (ShopNotes?) plans for a workstation centered around a benchtop table saw. I've got the issue stowed somewhere for future reference as it seemed like a good idea. I'll see if I can dig it up. At any rate, is was something like this one, available from Plans Now at http://plansnow.com/dn3090.html ...Hmmm...come to think of it, this might be the very one — it was originally published in ShopNotes #89. The nice thing was that you could use a mondo Biesemeyer fence with the benchtop saw.

The one improvement I thought of was to build a platform on jackscrews that the saw would be bolted to so it could readily be levelled WRT the working surface of the thing.

Here's a similar setup from WoodCentral: http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot921.shtml

And another concept: http://www.woodstore.net/mosaroce.html

Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 05-18-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I was going to post that a 10" saw is a lot more versatile for the same footprint, but Lew beat me to it.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

While I agree the 10'' saw will be more useful, it might be worth noting that that it was one tenth the price. For many people that may not mean much. Sadly, for me it does. Do you think this saw would struggle ripping 1x soft wood stock? It certainly didn't seem to struggle with the 3/4 ply put through it. I'll get a new blade for it and see how it does. It may be that I keep the bigger saw and hold on to the little guy for some dedicated work or for easier moving around. In some ways, I think the fence adjustments will pose a bigger problem than the blade size- though either machine should be easier than my present skilsaw/ cutting jig setup. I'm not sure how adjustable this little saw is just yet- I need a bit more tinkering time.

It will be fine for ripping one inch stock. The fence adjustment shouldnt be too much of an issue as you will be doing a 'production run' when ripping strips and wont be frequently changing it.

Good luck with both of them!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I'm liking that cab on lockable casters...
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Il colore del cielo, la forza del mare.

I bought the same saw earlier this year after looking for one for about 5 years now. I borrowed one from a friend and have wanted one since. I absolutely love 'em.

Around here they bring $100-$150, so I'd say you stole it. I think every part is still available for them so it will last you forever. Yeah, you could spend a lot more but other than getting a 10" blade I don't think you're getting a whole lot better saw.

It's not a cabinet saw by a long shot, and if you're doing a lot of cabinet work you'd be better off buying one. But for a all-around workhorse that will build almost any boat, (or house) the Makita can't be beat.
    John
    ----
    To err is human. To arr is pirate.

120 volt saws,skilsaws table saws and chopsaws, are limited by the amperage available in the circuit. 13-15A in most cases.
    Blade size is irrelevant.
    10" will allow you a deeper cut,but 8" will give you more torque and trip the reset less often.
    R
    "Now Ron,don't you do anything stupid!" - Grandma B.

That 8" Makita is a great saw.....much better quality than the later 10" w/ the plastic table. I had one years ago....bought it for $200...sold it for $200 to make room a Powermatic 66.

I don't think I'd bother with a fancy cabinet stand..if you've got room for that, then you've got room for a real cabinet saw. With many pro shops going to the Sawstop, you should be able to find a decent 3hp Unisaw or Powermatic 66 for under a grand.

I know you're also looking at another saw, but a thin-kerf blade of whatever size can give you a bit more before she trips the breaker.

Update: So the heads of the screws holding the blade insert were fairly corroded but I was able to get them loose with a flat head and fair bit of pressure into the degraded metal. I headed over to HD and picked up several Freud 7 1/4'' rip blades which can be had two-for-one right now working out to $5 a piece. I picked up two replacement screws for the insert as well and headed home. She did great. 1x and 2x stock ripped without any fuss. We are talking about kiln dried soft wood here, but still, not bad. The fence gets good and tight but shifts some as you tighten so that will take some finesse. This would not be the saw for lots of rips of varying widths, but that's not my purpose. And I have a healthy respect for a saw that doesn't shut off on its own or have a blade cover so that will take some getting used to. Then again, a healthy dose of respect goes a long way towards keeping you healthy, especially where power tools are concerned.

I concure with everyone here about what a great saw that is. But if you really want to use it to it's full potential, you'll need to do two things: put on a thin kerf blade, and ditch the factory stand for a Rosseau folding table. It has a Biesmeyer type fence that is nearly as accurate as any cabinet saw that I have used. The table will allow you to rip up to about 29/ 30 inches.

A thin kerf blade only cuts half as much material as a regular blade so there is less stress on the motor, i.e. more power. Someone on here mentioned that a ten inch blade
    would be more useful, and that's true if you'll be cutting some beefy stock, but a 7 1/4' blade will be all you need for about 95% of the work you're likely to do on this saw.
    If you need to cut thick stock, raise the blade and flip your piece end over end. You'll have no problems.

If you fab up a wooden throat plate, the saw will accept up to a 1/2" dado head. At the other end of the table, bore a hole and bottom mount a router. Add an outfeed table, and you'll be able to handle just about anything. I have used this combo as my workhorse for nearly twenty years. The quality and accuracy are not quite the same as a stationary cabinet saw, but MILES from what you have now. It is so good in fact, that I regularly site build kitchen cabinets with this setup - boxes, doors and drawers.

I am in no way connected with Rosseau, but that table will send your woodworking into another league. And, as a bonus, it folds flat for storage...... You should check it out.
    Last edited by bettyd; 06-05-2012 at 05:00 PM.