Thread: Build time in hours for me to do a Tango Skiff, Also how long would it take you ??

Default Build time in hours for me to do a Tango Skiff, Also how long would it take you ??

I am wanting to do a first boat project and I have went as far as purchasing the plans for the Tango Skiff 15' and it is clearly my choice for a wood boat project to use with my favorite 15 hp engine. How long in terms of hours would it take. I am good with my hands but somewhat minimal experience with wood, I have built decks small barns and a set of dock steps that rise up 42" to board my boat, also have helped a friend change out soft boards in the bottom and sides of his 38 Chris Craft Corinthian the last three seasons on the hard and found it fun work. I am an avid weekend live aboard summer boater for all of my 47 years.

That gives a little background about my current capabilities. I would like to hear guesses of the amout of time to do the Tango build.

ALSO !!!

It would be especially helpful to hear how long it would take some ofof you more experienced boat builders here and I can guess how much to add to my estimated build time. I have a couple of very small projects to finish in the shop now and I could be started in about 30 days having some of the marine ply in stock already.

Thanks, Doug.......

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Build time in hours for me to do a Tango Skiff, Also how long would it take you

Invest some time in a scale model. It may save time and money, plus be a really cool thing in itself!

Default Re: Build time in hours for me to do a Tango Skiff, Also how long would it take you

I was actually giving that some thought, I saw a fella elseware say he often builds 2" to the foot versions first

2" = 1'-0" is a bit of an odd scale. 1", 1.5" and 3" are more common. But, yes, I'd make the model. Do you have a link to your design?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I am unfamiliar with the Tango and wouldn't hazard a guess. But it might be good to include a little information about your tools and shop. Stringers of similar or same width can be ripped with a handsaw and a jig and a lot of care (time), but a good table saw will make short work of such a task. It sounds like you have more experience with building than a lot of first time builders.
    "A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by potomac View Post
    I am unfamiliar with the Tango and wouldn't hazard a guess. But it might be good to include a little information about your tools and shop. Stringers of similar or same width can be ripped with a handsaw and a jig and a lot of care (time), but a good table saw will make short work of such a task. It sounds like you have more experience with building than a lot of first time builders.
    Fair enough, I have a good shop to work in with plenty of room, I have a table saw, router, band saw, and all needed hand tools other than a hand plane, I have built model airplanes extensively in the past and also R/C wood boat kits. My hobbies have for the last several years revolved around drag racing and I have built 3 outlaw type cars and am a fairly competant welder. My biggest downfall with the boat deal is sawdust drives my sinus and allergies crazy, going to have to get serious about face mask wearing.

I guess the 2" to 1 foot size intrigued me because of R/C boats in the past.

Thanks, for the picture, I really like the way this boat has additional flotation chambers made to the back of the transom, It would be tempting to make them as seperate entities and hinge them more like trim tabs so i could experiment with trim and left and right for balance when I am solo. Just a thought, It is much prettier as is..

I build 2" to 1'. It does not convert to eighths , but I do not build from numbers.
    therefor, If you have a bonafide plan, it may be best to use a proportion to the numbers in the plan. but bigger is generally better.

Trying to guess how long it will take someone else to build a boat is a bit of a sweep stake. Im 130 hours into building a 15ft Michalak family skiff,but that time includes making a mast,yard,boom,laminating both a daggerboard and rudder,which are now complete.Its upside down,the bottom has been glassed and almost ready for paint. Seeing you dont need to make spars, i would say 100 hours give or take,or 2 weeks if your a committed builder. How long it will take you i have no idea,but it doesnt pay to rush these things. Wizzbang could probably origami a few sheets of ply into a similar shape and bog the thing together in 48 hours. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Doty View Post
    ...My biggest downfall with the boat deal is sawdust drives my sinus and allergies crazy, going to have to get serious about face mask wearing...
    From what I see in the news media, I suspect that there's a 'silent epidemic' of debilitating illness and death caused by inadequate lung protection among woodworkers.
    Many species of wood produce sawdust (especially from power tools) which is toxic/carcinogenic/allergy-promoting when inhaled. (Power tools produce finer dust, which can be inhaled deep into the lungs).
    WB #220 contains an article about shop safety, by Daniel Erwin. Definitely worth reading; it might save your life.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Invest some time in a scale model. It may save time and money, plus be a really cool thing in itself!
    Two hours and 15 minutes !!! I see the issue with scaling and not being able to use even 1/8" increments now, I converted to 1000ths. and used verniers for the fine measurments but still went too fast for precision but it did show that with proper care the parts fit perfectly when done according to plan.

That is a pretty little boat, kind of a cross between traditional and modern lines. The last plywood skiff, 15'4", had about 200 pleasurable hours in it. Building the model is a good learning process as well as a nice piece of inspiration, good luck on the build.

Don

"Two hours and 15 minutes !!!"
    We got a ringer here.

You seem motivated. Have a back scratch, a diet coke, and then get on it. Another thing to consider is level of finish. My experience, (more with furniture than boats), is that the finish work takes a lot longer than the other, often more satisfying build elements. The Tango doesn't appear to have too many fussy bits and she doesn't strike me a bright finished glamor queen. I would think the hull would go together quite quickly and fitting her out would take much longer depending on what you were doing with thwarts, decks, water-tight compartments, and level of finish.
    "A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

Here is the design of the back