Thread: Resorcinol and Prefere 4094

Default Resorcinol and Prefere 4094

I'm watching all of the discussions about boatbuilding adhesives and the plusses and minuses of resorcinol in particular. A gap-filling resorcinol would seem to be the ideal. While googling around, came across this flyer from Dynea which discussed both Aerodux 185 and Prefere 4094:

http://www.dynea.com/files/dynea/dow...tures_2011.pdf

Prefere 4094
    Prefere 4094 is a special phenol resorcinol adhesive which is used under conditions where a thick glue line cannot be avoided, for example because the surfaces of the adherends are uneven or because the pressure available is insufficient to ensure thin glue lines.

Potential fields of use of Prefere 4094 include nail gluing and two-step gluing of laminated timber.

Prefere 4094 gives absolutely weather resistant bonds conforming to Type I according to EN 301.

The Norwegian Institute of Wood Technology recommends that Prefere 4094 is allowed for bonding untreated structures of coniferous woods provided the glue line thickness does not exceed 2 mm.

Prefere 4094 has been tested according to the German Standard DIN 68 141 by the Otto-Graf-Institut (MPA) in Germany and
    found to suited for gluing load-bearing wooden structures for indoor and exterior use in accordance with DIN 1052.
    Anyone use the stuff? I googled but could not find a tech data sheet. Probably for mass industrial use.

What is "glue nailing"? I googled it and think I know, but would rather be sure. Same question wrt to two step gluing of laminated timbers.
    It will all be OK in the end...so if it's not OK, you're not at the end.

Default Re: Resorcinol and Prefere 4094

Haven't used the new Prefere glue, and probably neither will anyone else without a factory set up to use phenols to bond gluelams and plywood.

Aerodux 185 resorcinol originally formulated for one-off aircraft specifically features it's cold-setting and gap-filling properties.

http://www.reaa.ru/yabbfiles/Attachm...Aerodux185.pdf

It is available from C&P here:

http://www.cpadhesives.com/woodworking-adhesives
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 05-02-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Very familiar with the Aerodux 185 TDS. What caught my eye was the listing of an actual gap distance of 2mm in the description of the Prefere 4094 glue, which had me thinking maybe it is like the Aerodux 185, but more so. I haven't seen a max gap listing for the 185 or 500 resorcinol. Without the TDS for the 4094, it is all just guessing.

The news about Aerodux is that is used to be hard to find in the US. Now that CP produces it, that's ended.

I've got / used Dynea Prefere 5750 Hardener/ 4050F Resin Resorcinol (phenol type) here in the UK on my laminated Yellow Cedar dinghy stems. I think the name changed from Aerodux 500/501 to Prefere with Dynea ownership/ marketing. There's summer, winter or normal grade. Its chocolate brown, doesn't smell, 1:1 mixing and wipes of with a wet rag before it goes off. I bought 2.5kg of each. Its cheaper than epoxy if I remember, but I think they don't sell it in America. I bought mine from Alansons in the UK and they posted it within UK, but I doubt it's something that can be put on a plane? Maybe someone could import it?

I did have a big data sheet for it, but can't find it at the minute. I'm pretty sure it could manage small gaps (a few mm) but best clamped. Something like a laminated centreboard can be put through the thicknesser no sweat to take off the excess squeeze out when planing down to thickness after. Leaves a hair line black pinstripe glue line which looks smart.

http://www.alansonsuk.com/downloads/...e-4050-tis.pdf

For small quantities in the UK you can buy it called Polyproof. Its a product used for the building industry. I don't think its quite the same as Dynea Prefere but it is a Resorcinol for glu lam buildings.

http://www.polyvine.com/uploads/Poly...ta%20Sheet.pdf

Might be something similar in US?

Ed
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 05-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Just keeping the thread alive, here's another resorcinol that actually calls out a specific maximum gap (1.25 mm).

http://www.hallmarkfraulo.co.uk/asse...nformation.pdf

BORDEN RESORCINOL ADHESIVESResorcinol adhesives have undoubtedly become established as reliable construction adhesives
    since they combine ease of use with the advantages of high strength, durability and long storage
    life. Borden Resorcinol adhesives are liquid resins in alcohol-water solution, and are used in
    conjunction with powder or liquid hardeners which must be thoroughly mixed into the resin
    before use. Technical Information on individual products is available in and should be read in
    conjunction with this bulletin.

DURABLE
    Because of their outstanding durability under conditions of severe exposure these glues should
    be used for all work where the maximum resistance to weathering is required; they are
    particularly recommended for constructional laminating, for marine craft (stems, keels, frames,
    knees, masts etc), for laminated roof members (such as sports halls etc), for arches for bridgework,
    and for concrete formers. In the marine field they are also used as a bonding medium in the multi-skin method of construction (ie double or treble skin) and for edge-glued planking and
    decking which avoids the need for caulking and a seam filler. Being naturally gap-filling these
    glues are also ideal for use in the cold-moulded method of boat construction.

USE OF ADDITIONAL FILLERSWhilst Borden Resorcinol adhesives are gap filling it may, in certain circumstances, be
    beneficial and necessary to add a percentage of extra filler in order to thicken the glue mix and
    so prevent a `starved joint'. For example when testing to the gap-filling section of BS1204, a
    10% addition helps to retain the glue in the 1.25 mm gap (under no circumstances should extra
    filler be used in an endeavour to fill gaps larger than 1.25 mm
    . The filler recommended for the
    purpose is a coconut shell flour available from BORDEN CHEMICAL UK LTD, which can be
    used in proportions from 10% to 12% by weight depending on the work being carried out. The
    addition of the filler has no adverse affect on the strength and durability of the glue line.

Sounds like the old Koppers Panacolite G1260 gap filling resorcinol adhesive. Borden purchased the former Koppers adhesive business in 1997.

Andreas