Thread: Back in the saddle again...(first sail of the year)

Default Back in the saddle again...(first sail of the year)

Yippy-kay-yay

15 knots of wind and the whole playground to myself...

Default Re: Back in the saddle again...(first sail of the year)

Why did you embed your video in the post only to have the embed function disabled on your youtube account?

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Why did you embed your video in the post only to have the embed function disabled on your youtube account?
    I'll bet there's an answer in that question. Didn't realize I'd done that.

I can see it. Reefed down to just the fwd sail, were you? Hooray! Doesn't it feel good to be afloat again?
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    I can see it. Reefed down to just the fwd sail, were you? Hooray! Doesn't it feel good to be afloat again?
    Nothing quite like it. This past Saturday was just the opposite, though - I rowed across English Bay and back with not a puff of wind the entire time, not even a hint. I'd rather be sailing, as they say.

Awesome... looks like fun.

What do you call that sail rig? A variation on a Lug of some kind?
    Member of the Loyal, Mostly-Noble, Elite and Most Ancient order of the Laughing Polar Bear Cap Society.

I ask out of Ignorance, not Criticism.

Standing lug. Here's another vid without the sprit.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

still too cold!

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    still too cold!
    Rather chill here, too, and water temps around 40F/5C. I need to do the wheel bearings on the trailer so I'm ready when we do get a warm day.

Darroch, it looks like you were flying along at a good clip. The water looks sort of flat for 15 knots. At that speed, I usually see lots of whitecaps and a bit more wave action, and it can be pretty wet going to windward.

Hmm... I'm jealous (again). Mine's still in the shop, thought we're close to gluing temps again.

I notice you put your yard and sail to the right of the mast--are you left-handed or have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release June 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Rather chill here, too, and water temps around 40F/5C. I need to do the wheel bearings on the trailer so I'm ready when we do get a warm day.

Darroch, it looks like you were flying along at a good clip. The water looks sort of flat for 15 knots. At that speed, I usually see lots of whitecaps and a bit more wave action, and it can be pretty wet going to windward.
    Well, the GPS read 5.5 knots, which is just about the max going to windward, especially without the mizzen, but I got the reading of 15 kts from a handheld anemometer held to windward 45 degrees off the bow. I call that apparent wind, but in truth it may not be close to the wind aloft. One thing I've discovered is that you can't really determine wind speed from the state of the sea, unless you know the area intimately. In these vids I'm on a protected arm, basically sailing in the mountains. The wind comes from all directions and at times it seems the sea does as well. On this day I had wind in my face going up the arm and then in my face coming back. It's very interesting sailing.

But you're right, of course, usually 15 knots out in the open means lots of whitecaps and some spray but this particular area is only getting the wind blowing east/west up Burrard Inlet and then curling around Roche Point up the arm so there's very little fetch.

As a point of interest to small boat sailors, in the first vid I needed to pass the marker (barely visible in the middle of the frame) to the right. It doesn't look like I should make it but did, at speed, and startled a couple of grebes off the top as the yard brushed past. It was one of those memorable tacks. Sounds silly, but it's very satisfying when you make very little leeway and are able to sail around things with some confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Hmm... I'm jealous (again). Mine's still in the shop, thought we're close to gluing temps again.

I notice you put your yard and sail to the right of the mast--are you left-handed or have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Tom
    I didn't know there was a right and wrong, Tom. I've probably fouled every nautical tradition a small boat can have if that's the case. You can have the yard on either side unless you use the sprit, in which case the sprit and yard are on opposite sides. The thumb cleat determines which side the yard and sprit are set. In the second video the sprit for the main is removed. The telltales (and the sail shape) tell me I should leave the sprit off when sailing to windward but I like it when running - it seems to stop the rolling somewhat. I learn something new every time I go out.

And I hope you're not jealous - I like to think I'm giving you some inspiration to keep going. But I'll stop if it's upsetting you.

Quote Originally Posted by darroch View Post
    I didn't know there was a right and wrong, Tom.
    My yard and boom are also to the right of the mast. Seems like I looked at several photos of lug rigs where that was the case. What practical difference does it make?

The only difference I can think of is that you have to pull the halyard from the opposite side of the mast. Ergo, it seems much more natural to me for right-handed people to put the yard on the left of the mast so you can cleat off the halyard with your dominant hand. I suppose you can still use your right hand on the left side of the mast but it feels awkward to me to even think about.

But "wrong" in my last message was a bit tongue in cheek--I can't see it making a lot of difference. But I'll stick to my way for now all the same.

And if you have a mizzen, of course, putting the yards of the two sails on opposite sides seems advantageus for wing-and-wing sailing, I suppose.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release June 2014.

My yard and boom are also to the right of the mast. Seems like I looked at several photos of lug rigs where that was the case. What practical difference does it make?
    Seems like it's just really a case of where you want that pile of sail and spars to be stowed when you're not sailing, plus it's helpful to have them to the opposite side of your dominant hand so the halyard is easy to deal with.

I have my push/pull steering stick to starboard, so I''d probably prefer that the boom and yard are to port. That way, they don't foul each other while raising or lowering the sails. (Though it still happens now and again.)
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Yeah, I do it with yard to port for the same reasons that Tom and Yeadon suggest, but I don't think it ultimately matters as long as you like how it is in your own boat.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    The only difference I can think of is that you have to pull the halyard from the opposite side of the mast. Ergo, it seems much more natural to me for right-handed people to put the yard on the left of the mast so you can cleat off the halyard with your dominant hand. I suppose you can still use your right hand on the left side of the mast but it feels awkward to me to even think about.
    Yes, it would be. Why wouldn't you use your left hand in that case?

Yard to port on the main allows you to raise and lower the sail on the starboard tack more easily. Not that anyone seems to respect that these days, but it does give you a measure of "right of way" when you are distracted with the task at hand.

Looking good darroch. Did you get your sailmaker to check out the main? I see a new row of tell tails (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kurylko View Post
    Yard to port on the main allows you to raise and lower the sail on the starboard tack more easily. Not that anyone seems to respect that these days, but it does give you a measure of "right of way" when you are distracted with the task at hand.

Looking good darroch. Did you get your sailmaker to check out the main? I see a new row of tell tails (I think).
    Hi Don - no, I haven't spoken to the sailmaker but I did spend some time re-reading the Sailmaker's Apprentice over the winter. This was my first sail with the tells so I can't say definitively what's up, but I have a sneaking suspicion the main was backwinding the mizzen and the main sprit might be the culprit, but I don't know for sure. In any event, I think it's best to sail to windward without the sprit on the main (although she's moving right along at top speed in the vid despite the sprit).

How about relaxing the snotter (outhaul) a bit so that the sprit is just kind of hanging out there without putting any tension on the leach or the luff when sailing closehauled. Though, I must say that I think the sail looks like it is setting much better than it was in the video you posted a few months back.

By the way, I have been taking a close look at charts and photos of the Fraser River again and it looks like there are quite a few little nooks and crannies where a small boat could tie up or anchor overnight. I mean in the lower, urban parts - especially the North Arm. We should do some exploring when I get down there this summer. I'm bringing my Whitehall.

Oooh, ooh, ooh! Can I come?

Absoflaminlutely!

Sounds good, Don. Really looking forward to your "relocation".

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kurylko View Post
    I had to laugh at this. In the two years I've been sailing my skiff hereabouts, I've encountered one (1) other sailing craft. Right-of-way with powerboats is usually a matter of dodging the buggers.

I had to laugh at this. In the two years I've been sailing my skiff hereabouts, I've encountered one (1) other sailing craft. Right-of-way with powerboats is usually a matter of dodging the buggers.
    I agree; most powerboaters don't have the slightest understanding of the wind strength or direction (it's always in their face at 20-50 mph) or the limitations sailboats have to work under to deal with the wind. So as you say, rigging a lugsail on the port side of the mast makes little practical difference. But at least with your yard rigged to port so you're on the starboard tack as Don suggested, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you were right as the boat sinks beneath you after being run down...

Tom

Assuming you survive a collision with a power boat, it's what happens in court that matters. Due diligence and all that.