Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration of MINDE, a 1903 Pilot Cutter

Default Re: Restoration of MINDE, a 1903 Pilot Cutter

Yesterday I started shaping the rudder after gluing a couple of cheeks to avoid sapwood.

When the outer profile was finished, I marked out the centreline to be able to measure out the taper in thickness aft on the rudder.
    The part of the rudder that is above the waterline will be of full thickness, gradually reducing towards the waterline to aprox. 2" thick at the aft edge all the way down to the keel.
    Marking this out was easy by using a wide bandsaw-blade cut to lenght.

A lot of power-planing later....

Again, to avoid splitting of the wood, I liberally coated it with oil and later paint.

I installed a few nails into the new wood for extra strength.

l

The old rudder was hung up on the "Minde wall of fame"

The smaller rudder is the old rudder from my 25 feet "Koster" that was replaced a couple of years ago, together with the lower sternpost.

Cheers,
    Ole

This is pure art!

Beautiful work Ole and a bloody nice bit of timber !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Very impressive work. Looking forward to seeing more...

It is hard to believe that this picture:

....and that one:

...are of the same boat: one looks like a toy, the other one like a ship! What a beauty!!!

Your old man also looks like a tough one: Minde and him (and you, then!) are obviously of the same blood!
    Last edited by Lucky Luke; 05-21-2013 at 11:04 PM.
    "Homme libre, toujours tu cheriras la mer" (Charles Baudelaire)

Ole,

Fantastic piece of stock for the rudder! Wish I could have found one like that for Jette.

Matt

Luke:
    Yes, Minde is a small ship and I love her lines!

Matt:
    The plank for the rudder is really nice. I am also pleased to see that there is no cracking of the wood as it dries.

This weekend was dedicated to removing paint from her topsides. At places the paint was really thick and intact, other areas thinner and easy to remove.
    I used a hot-air gun and several scrapes and time, time, time..... I think it took about 15 hrs to do remove it all, and my arms are aching!

I coated the dry planks with a mixture of turpentine, raw linseed oil, antiparasite and read lead powder.

The old plank on the picture below will be replaced, as there was rot in it and a temporary repair was done to it.

....cont....

Same routine for the starboard side, only there I found two planks that need to be replaced...

The seams on starboard side had not opened as on the port side, and actually were mostly tight.

I got help with removing a stuck bolt in the sternpost. It was removed by welding on a long rod with a large nut on the end, and a 15 kilo sliding weight on the bar.
    Almost a metre of sliding-action generate a massive pull on the bolt, and it had to give in - although it took about 40 repetitions. My arms was tired already, and this took the last juice in them.....

Satisfied with the progress!

/Cheers,

Ole

That's an interesting method Ole, I have pile of bolts to remove and they aren't coming easily !
    Grateful Dead

The guy helping me knew how to make a strong weld.

Here is a picture of the arrangement in action

My bolts are copper !

That won't work for me but I'm glad it worked for you !
    Grateful Dead

Great stuff Ole. Only 4 planks to go then?

A gigantic work like that deserves the utmost respect!!!
    ''The work is teaching you the work'' : Bernard Moitessier.

Single-handed Sailor, 1968-1969 Golden Globe Challenge, 1st around the world sailing race.

Chasing to close the planking on the boat, but still planks that needs to be replaced are found...

Here is a general update:

When I removed the starboard planks above the waterline (the two mentioned on my last post), I found that the stanchions and some frames were rotted - especially the stanchions. Repair started on the frames and a couple of stanchions was renewed before I got time to remove the sheerstrake. Of course, more trouble ahead... The first issue was to get the plank off the boat (!).
    3" thick oak with lots of hard wood, was cut into shorter lenghts with a electric chainsaw, and split with a bib crowbar. Took some time, but it got off. The coveringboard was on my "consern-list" and I found that it too had suffered from rot here and there.
    -Some thinking was neccessary!

Originally, Minde had her stanchions and rub-rail set on the inside of the beamshelf, to prevent the construction to be the first point of implact when boarding a vessel at sea to get the pilot onboard.
    The neccessary repairs that I have to undergo at this point, gives me the chance to re-design this part of the boat back to what was originally when she was new.
    Of course, this is not what I had planned - and certainly not what my budget allows, but still it feels good to get the chance to do this the right way.

Our plan:
    The stanchions will be removed
    On the inside of the excisting covering-board, we will cut out a groove following the inside curve of the covering-board, with the depth set at 1/2" deeper than the deck-planking.
    A thicker outer deck-plank will be installed, and this will lock the forces from the caulking of the deck planks, and prevent the boat from being "overchaulked".
    A new covering-board will be installed, and this will go over the sheerstrake to prevent water from leaking between the sheerstrake/covering-board.
    On the outside of the joint between the two, a half-rounded batten will be shaped with tapering thickness/height towards the ends of the boat.
    New stanchions will be made, and they will be bolted through the deck with massive rods/washer/nuts.

I will get into the details later, but this is the status as things are now.

Last weekend, my family drove down with me to help me sand Mindes mast.

Pictures tonight....

Sounds amazing Svaap, I have been following this thread closely, the old pictures of the boat make me swoon. One day in the future I could definitely see something similar being on my lofting floor. Wish I was on the same continent to come by and help out. Keep us posted!

Thanks Stroom,

My daughter, her boyfriend, my brother, sister and her "husband", all came down with 6 children to help out with the big task of sanding Mindes mast.
    The weather was nice and warm, perfect for a pleasant and productive day!

We had lots of sanding machines, paper and were top-motivated for the task ahead.

Mindes' mast is of larch, and I think it must have been oiled in the past.
    The mast rings were removed after careful measurements were made of location and orientation.

-Nice hardware!

On the protected surfaces, the oil was quite soft and packed the sanding papers quickly.
    This was not surprising, so we used hot air and scrapers to get the top-coat off the wood. I have not measured the length of the mast, but I guess it's around 14 meters and aprox 12" in diameter (or more?), but in a few hours it was completely sanded.

They did not take it down to completely new wood all over, as this would remove the patina and also meant removing more wood than I wanted.

A mixture of "Benar-oil" and "Ravilakk" thinned down was applied, and the glow came back to the wood!

-A happy and effective crew!!

In the background you can see that Minde is one plank plus the sheerstrake away from being completed on her starboard side. The port side still has the old sheerstrake, but otherwise she is fully planked.

Her topsides was painted with linseed paint, to keep up with the traditional material from the time she was built.

I will keep you posted on the progress after the weekend.

Cheers,
    Ole

Quote Originally Posted by svaap View Post

I got help with removing a stuck bolt in the sternpost. It was removed by welding on a long rod with a large nut on the end, and a 15 kilo sliding weight on the bar.
    Almost a metre of sliding-action generate a massive pull on the bolt, and it had to give in - although it took about 40 repetitions. My arms was tired already, and this took the last juice in them.....

Satisfied with the progress!

/Cheers,

Ole
    Here in the States we call that a "Slide Hammer" a very useful tool indeed, especially if you have all the various bits for grabbing pulleys, bearings etc..!

​Aloha, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Harbourmaster View Post
    Here in the States we call that a "Slide Hammer" a very useful tool indeed, especially if you have all the various bits for grabbing pulleys, bearings etc..!

That kit is missing the most important part...

Various sizes of vise grips welded to a coupling nut, or with an adapter screwed into the place where the adjustment screw goes in the vise grips. I also have an adapter nut for the long shaft that has a piece of rod welded to it so I can repeatedly weld it to things.

The shock of a slide hammer is very damaging to your joints by the way, unless you use it correctly. You should be releasing the hammer part just before it hits, or at least loosening up your grip on the thing. I tore my elbow up with our large slide hammer, of course I was well pissed at the stupid thing by that time and bound and determined that it was going to break loose...

Nice work on Minde by the way. This thread is great
    Fish and ships or is that chips

Nope its not missing.... That particular kit (from OTC) the threaded rod on the end of the shaft is the correct size to screw right into a pair of 10" Vice grips!
    ​Aloha, Ken

Mast looks bigger than the utility poles on my property. looking good with a fresh coating.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Work is progressing on Minde.

Last weekend we built a new tent over Minde, making it easier to work on her decks.
    It took a day, and I was quite satisfied with the result.

The cover was secured with lines and weights at the ground.

The wind took up on saturday evening and it did not move at all, and we were happy with how sturdy it is.

My girlfriend our dog and my mother/father in law gave the mast a coat of oil, before we went on a three day vacation for a good rest with some fishing :-)

The covering-board has been removed and nails and bolts has been drawn out, revealing the clean structure of her top-timbers.

We have been studying old pictures of pilot cutters, trying to figure out the distance between the outer edge of the covering-board and the stanchions. We have concluded that the combined distance between the outer sheer-batten and the stanchions will be 5 1/2" with a half-rounded outer batten. (Mixing the right terms, but hopefully you will understand from the picture...

On the inside of the frames, above the beamshelf, you can see the knees supporting the deck-beams horisontally. The bolts from these were drawn, using a sliding-bar as you guys saw on a earlier posting. The knees are of 3" thick oak, and the beamshelf is 2 by 7" oak.

I visited the yard today, and saw that two boats had been lauched (yesterday evening).

Two original Colin Archer builds - the white (Marie) is a cruiser with a lot of original timber still intact, and was lauched after staying inside the yard over the winter for repairs. The oiled is also a original Colin Archer pilot cutter (Frithjof), and it was totally rebuilt in the 1980s all in oak.
    The other boat lauched yesterday was "Jaerbuen" - a late 1890 original Colin Archer cruiser. She had her sternpost replaced together with a lot of planking and some frames. They cast new bronze nails after the original design, and used wooden trunnels in her hull. Lovely boat!

Marie and Frithjof:

Jaerbuen:

The vessel in the left of the picture is the "Colin Archer RS 1", undergoing extensive repairs after a fire at easter. The other vessel with a red sheerstrake (signature of the rescue vessels), is a newer generation of rescue vessels that came after the sailing vessels from Colin Archers lines. This one was designed by Bjarne Aas - a truely wonderful boat!

Minde is also turning out quite nice, I think:

It was a nice experience to vitness a new plank leaving the steamer and going on the hull - without me having to lift a finger myself (!!).
    It comes with a price-tag, but I must say I feel that I've made the right descision.

The plank was over 6 meters long, and without a knot. Came one nicely!

Now it's just the sheerstrake missing to complete the hull planking!

:-)

Cheers
    /Ole

The shed brackets you have there, what are they made of? A great idea.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Wx

The shed brackets are made of standard rectangular steel beams, cut and welded together. They have different angles for different applications, and they are strong enough to carry snow when spaced close enough. 2 by 4" fit into them.

Quote Originally Posted by svaap View Post
    Wx

The shed brackets are made of standard rectangular steel beams, cut and welded together. They have different angles for different applications, and they are strong enough to carry snow when spaced close enough. 2 by 4" fit into them.
    Brilliant idea and they give a good degree of flexibility to the size of the shed. Thanks.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Hey Ole, great thread , I always check it.
    You might be interested , I took a few photos of Mendrugo when she was here a couple or few years ago. I made the album public so you can look at it.

http://s227.photobucket.com/user/Wai...16538784885017

Watching Ole , as always .
    Grateful Dead

Hi John,

Mendrugo is a nice yacht for shure!

We took the bowsprit and the gaff home with a trailer this week, and yesterday I started scraping off the varnish to prepare for sanding.
    I hope to get them sanded this afternoon and oiled tomorrow, if the weather allows it..

The gaff only needs light sanding to give the new oil/varnish some grip.

I think it is nice to know that we are using the same scrapers as the previous owners did for many years, and they are still up for the task.

The boom needs scraping too, but it was too big/heavy for us to lift so I will get it later.
    I like to bring smaller jobs home, as I can work on it whenever I have some spare time. All things that are done gets me closer to the finish-line

Big rain-showers on the forecast for today, so I brought the booms under roof for this afternoons progress.

See 'ya

Ole

Nice

Ole, just how far diid the gaff protrude beyond the axle of your trailer as you drove the 2h home?
    R

R

The gaff is aprox 0,5 meter longer than the bowsprit, and it proteuded nearly two and a half meters from the axle. In the picture above I had drawn it backwards to get access to the bowsprit, so it looks a bit extreme..

This is a true classic that has been stored more than used.

Does anyone know what it is - a little quiz....

It's a time machine,

When you start it up, lonely dogs howl, rock and roll music can be heard and Cadillacs and Chevys appear from nowhere. A young guy in a pair of jeans with a white t shirt and greasy hair, kicking the system but still being part of it, walks nonchalantly into a diner after climbing off his Indian (ex army) and girls in brightly coloured frocks start dancing...
    R

Spot on description!! Redeye