Thread: Planking chain clamps

Default Planking chain clamps

I'm an active member of some antique tool collecting clubs. The Midwest Tool Collectors Association (MWTCA) and Early American Industries Association (EAIA) are having a meet at the Deltaville Maritime Museum in Deltaville, VA tomorrow, Saturday April 21, with the them being "boat building." So I'm pretty psyched about that.

I received an e-mail a couple days ago from a person who was looking for "boat planking chain clamps." I had never encountered such a device, and I don't recall seeing anyone mention them or show a picture of something like that here.

So I did a little Googling and discovered what a "boat planking chain clamp" is.

Looks like something a reasonably clever feller could cobble together himself, if a commercially made one is not to be found.
    - Bill T.

"How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

"Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

Default Re: Planking chain clamps

Yep, there's an article on making and using them, with plans, in WB 190 by Harry Bryan.

Chain Clamps

The screw or clamp.

Keel hook.

Planking clip.

Notice the dimples to help it from sliding off the edge of the plank.

Planking clamp. These came in different sizes. Each one would only work for a certain range of frame widths.

Flexible templates.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post

Looks like something a reasonably clever feller could cobble together himself, if a commercially made one is not to be found.
    I think it wouldn't take too much to convert some web strap clamps or tie downs into a modern version of a chain clamp.

Guys thanks for posting this up. Bill T was inquiring for me... I had searched the archives and done several google searches, but did not find this much info! The set I have used at Tuckerton Seaport Museum's Boat shop are like images 4 and 5 above. I was not aware of the other styles. I did make a couple sets for the Museum's shop from damaged/discarded C-clamps. Cutting off the lead screws, and welding them to some cold rolled steel. The T-piece is the same steel welded, with a piece of angle added. Hooks are welded on each tab. They work well, but lack the style of the originals. Perhaps I have found my collecting target! I am curious if you have any info on the origin of the different clamps you have posted? Country of origin? vintage? manufacturer? Thank you for posting!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Diefenderfer; 04-23-2012 at 05:53 PM.

The planking clamp is the only one with any markings and you can see those in the photo. I believe these are all USA made. I used to see these in several boatbuilders shops years ago. I suppose most went in the trash or to scrap when the shops were cleaned out.

I have blown up the image, but can't make out the name? H. B. Colter? or Colier? Thanks, Dave