Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atkin line drawing that impresses can amaze you in a color illustration

Default Re: Atkin line drawing that impresses can amaze you in a color illustration

Thanks for the tutorial! Trying out some color schemes for my Triton, you actually answered a question I didn't ask but needed to. Thanks!

Default Re: Atkin line drawing that impresses can amaze you in a color illustration

OMG, I'm in love with the CherubIII! Emerald is just dreamy.

Great drawings, this is so fun to look at.
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

There are a dozen or so colour drawings of Atkin designs here after a blurb on Missie and Laurie.

http://bulrushgallery.wordpress.com/...illustrations/

Allen

Default Re: Strange line drawings in colour illustration

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson2 View Post
    There are a dozen or so colour drawings of Atkin designs here after a blurb on Missie and Laurie.
    ""Do you accept suggestions Rod? Albert Strange's Cherub 111. I'd love to see her coloured !""

Using illustrator it is possible to work with sketchy original line drawings like the kind found on the web, but, I believe there may at times be some copyright issues around sales of derived work?

Still, it is nice to see the old ships in colour. This is my interpretation of Albert Strange's Cherub 3 line drawings. http://bulrushgallery.wordpress.com/...illustrations/

I'm presently looking for old wood work boat drawings...

Thanks, a real improvement over the line drawing .

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Emerson2

I like your version...very nice....

I need a decent hi res line drawing of a design to colorize it. Once I open it in photoshop, I usually spend a half hour cleaning up the background with a hard edged brush eraser... and repair any lines that need it. I'd be glad to do this design if someone can send me a pdf or jpg of the sail plan lines drawing.

RodB
    www.brinkboatrepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post

1949 Atkin, Flying Saucer in colour: http://bulrushgallery.wordpress.com/...illustrations/

I really like that Benbow.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Do you think there is any way I could convince you to do Atkins Maid of Endor? I'd frame it and put in on my wall....

These are really beautiful.

J.Madison... If you can get me a hi res line drawing with sail drawn etc I'll do it.. Send me an email with the drawing attached... The drawings on the ATkin Boat Plans site are too small. I need a 8x10 or 11x14 sized line drawing.

rodbrink@yahoo.com

R

Good to see the pictures of Redwing, I would prefer a coloured lines drawing. The mainsheet in the other one is wrongly shown, and to me the rig looks a bit heavy.
    Last edited by Jeremy Burnett; 02-11-2014 at 04:34 AM.

Grateful Dead

J.Madison... If you can get me a hi res line drawing with sail drawn etc I'll do it.. Send me an email with the drawing attached... The drawings on the ATkin Boat Plans site are too small. I need a 8x10 or 11x14 sized line drawing.

rodbrink@yahoo.com

R

Thanks! I just so happen to have the plans hiding in a closet at my parents house. Next time I'm there I'll try to take a high res picture or have them scanned.

-Jonathan

John Atkin - Tom Davin and 12 others in colour...
    Last edited by Emerson2; 02-19-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Lovely ketch --

That's all beautiful work, Rod. Congratulations.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Rod, if you are still doing these and would be willing to accept a request, I have been unable to find any photos of a completed Atkin "Twilight" and I would love to see what you could do with a colored drawing. Cheers, Matthew

Any design I do I need a hi res line drawing of the sail plan/hull... then I do it hi res for printing... and a low res for here. Its not worth all the work in low res as it would not look good except online.

The lines plans on the Atkin site are lo res.

RodB

These colorizations seem to take me longer as I get a little pickier...

Here is Cherub III... I did not change the colors much as both photos of two different boats had white hulls. The drawing was missing some details in rigging lines etc...but Its still enough to show the boat.

This is a 72 dpi image about 13 inches square...but the hi res image is about 23 inches square at 300 dpi.

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 03-10-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Wow ! That is beautiful Rod. Thank you very much !

You even have varnished cabin sides !
    Grateful Dead

Well, I could send you a high resolution file scanned from the plans once I get them, with Pat Atkin's permission, of course. In the meantime here is something a little higher resolution than the ones on the Akin site. It's a .png from a .pdf of the original April 1952 Motor Boating article that introduced "Twilight." Good enough for a quick and dirty colorization just to keep my imagination primed? Cheers, Matthew

Peter, the wood areas are actual pics of that type of wood from the internet... copied and pasted into the selection of the spars or bow sprit etc with some special effects. I orient the grain to match how the spar is oriented.

Matthew, the line drawing you have a link to is a reasonable size but is 72 dpi... I can colorize it but it would not print near as well as a high res image. . .

I'll play with it tomorrow.

RodB

I've been mumbling about building Cherub 111 for quite a while and I assure you this is an encouragement !

I've considered a glued lap hull, like a Stella and wonder if it would be hard to do a layer with plank laps drawn ? it would be very interesting to see.
    Grateful Dead

Peter, we could take that boat from the UK (Wenda) built for the editor of the Albert Strange magazine... its a beautiful traditional lapstrake...I could use some of his pics to achieve some nice lap lines on the drawing here... I'd use a pic from underneath in layers to use for a "go by" to draw the lines. I'll see.... as I saved a lot of pics of that Wenda build...she was very pretty.

RodB

I also have a packed Albert Strange file !

Here's Canoeyawl's Sally, a really lovely boat !

Grateful Dead

Constance.

Grateful Dead

I need a nice broadside shot in profile... of the hull to just lay the cherub III hull on top to copy the lines.

I have a file on Sally and the UK build. I need to sort thru them.

RodB

It's hard to find a vertical profile shot, I hope you have one.
    Grateful Dead

Thanks, Rod. Up to you, I should be able to get you a better, high resolution scan in a couple of weeks.

Peter, the wood areas are actual pics of that type of wood from the internet... copied and pasted into the selection of the spars or bow sprit etc with some special effects. I orient the grain to match how the spar is oriented.

Matthew, the line drawing you have a link to is a reasonable size but is 72 dpi... I can colorize it but it would not print near as well as a high res image. . .

I'll play with it tomorrow.

RodB

I'm starting to have a Strange fascination! Sorry, couldn't resist. His boats are just among the loveliest ever!
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

This is Sjogin, the scandinavian workboat drawn by Paul Gartside from measurements provided by Sjogin's owner, Russ Manheimer.... This project was formulated on this forum via the following thread....

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ghlight=Sjogin

I realize that this design is originally a traditional lapstrake hull, but I would need to spend some time to draw up a lapstrake version of this for colorizing. The plans developed by Paul Gartside allow for building the hull in glued lapstrake, traditional lapstrake, cold molded and strip planked. The sail plans offered are Bermudan Sloop, Gaff sloop, and yawl.

Many on the forum have the plans for this design which is available from Mr Gartside.

Measuring Sjogin....
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ghlight=Sjogin

RodB

Last edited by RodB; 03-09-2014 at 06:11 PM.

RodB
    Any chance for a rendering of this little Hume/Bolger 20 footer Blueberry?? The line drawing is the best I have for now.
    Thanks for considering this request. If I'm out of line then give me the nod and I will give myself a swift boot.
    ]
    [IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Howard... take a pic with a normal digital camera and keep the image quality as high as your camera allows. make sure you focus well. If I can get the same dimensions at 300 dpi instead of 72dpi, I can do a good colorizing job. ... but I need a higher resolution image of the jul and sail plan.

RodB

Hello Rod
    Thank you for considering my request. I am out in the Pacific right now and will not have my Blueberry line drawings in hand until late next month. If you are still amenable to doing a rendering then I would be most appreciative.

What I hope to do is to have the drawing framed and present it to David Hume as a gift. David is Blueberry's creator, builder and author of the book about her (a lovely read- Blueberry, A Boat of the Connecticut Shoreline). In the process of my becoming Blueberry's master some ten years ago David his wife Cathy and I became friends. I will be visiting with them in late June and would very much like to present them with a colorized drawing. So thank you for considering my request. I will get back to you in late April. Would it be best if I emailed the photo to you or is posting here OK?
    Very Best,
    howard

Howard... take a pic with a normal digital camera and keep the image quality as high as your camera allows. make sure you focus well. If I can get the same dimensions at 300 dpi instead of 72dpi, I can do a good colorizing job. ... but I need a higher resolution image of the jul and sail plan.

RodB

Howard... email me the hi res line drawing and I'll colorize it for you....

rodbrink@yahoo.com

RodB

Thank you Rod.
    It will be late April
    I appreciate your willingness to do this.
    Best,
    howard
    Howard... email me the hi res line drawing and I'll colorize it for you....

rodbrink@yahoo.com

RodB