X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Palmer
    Amateur wood butcher
    • Sep 2003

Re: Trailer hitch: a matter of life and death

That figure shows the safety changes improperly hooked to the vehicle. The hook should come up through the vehicle's eye instead of being hooked over from the outside of the eye. I know because I did the same thing last fall and the chains came off when the hitch came off the ball. Luckily, all that happened was that the trailer hit the back of the car and dented the lift gate.

I have since switched to using quick links in place of the safety hooks because they cannot be put on incorrectly.

Brian

Comment

• Duncan Gibbs
      Ninety percent sandpaper
      • Oct 2007

My deepest sympathy Richard, and my best wishes for your niece's recovery.

Having recently hauled a Dragon 840km up from Sydney, I also cannot too heavily emphasise checking and double checking. If you have a sizable load like a Dragon triple check it and recheck it every time you stop, particularly if the journey is a long one.
      Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
      Mirror 30141
      Looe
      Dragon KA93

Comment

• Duncan Gibbs
        Ninety percent sandpaper
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Brian Palmer
        That figure shows the safety changes improperly hooked to the vehicle. The hook should come up through the vehicle's eye instead of being hooked over from the outside of the eye. I know because I did the same thing last fall and the chains came off when the hitch came off the ball. Luckily, all that happened was that the trailer hit the back of the car and dented the lift gate.

I have since switched to using quick links in place of the safety hooks because they cannot be put on incorrectly.

Brian
        In Oz we use D-shakles that go through a spigot plate on the sides of the tow-bar:

In this instance the whole removable bar is also shackled and the spigot plate has enough room to take an extra D shackle on each side from the trailer.
        Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
        Mirror 30141
        Looe
        Dragon KA93

Comment

• Canoeyawl
          • Jun 2003

This is a horrific tradgedy and I feel terrible about this. For someone in the transportation industry (me) it is a nightmare. I intend to bring it up at next weeks employee safety meeting.
          For my boat I use chain with shackles and black electricians tape to "mouse" them and the cable "break-away" brake actuator connection.
          (Black tape = sailors best friend. I always keep a small roll in my pocket when I'm at sea "3-M super 33").
          The boat is also safety chained onto the trailer. Using the "hang it up to dry" by the hitch rule for the truck, or loaded trailer is the standard. This is where you need to know nothing can get loose.
          I think the old DOT rule for tie downs is they must contain three times the weight of the load, which is good practice. The new rules are more complex, if anyone wants to study them they are here - http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/cargo/cs-policy.pdf

Comment

• Rich Jones
            What boat to build next?
            • Apr 2009

Lots of good tips here. Thanks.
            I once forgot to flip the latch down on the hitch. Luckily, it was only a short, slow one mile ride home and nothing happened. But, the safety chains would have stopped the trailer. I now put a pin through the latch just to make sure it can't somehow pop open.
            I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
            Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• Stiletto
              Grant S
              • Jan 2003

I think the chains in the first picture are too long. Here in NZ they are supposed to prevent the trailer hitch from digging into the road.

The chains in Duncan's pic look correct.
              There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Comment

• Tom Lathrop
                • Dec 1999

In over 55 years of trailing boats, most of the bad things that can happen have happened. Some were the result of forgetfulness, some resulted from manufacturing poor quality or defects and some were just the work of gremlins. The only time a chain S hook came off the car tang was when it was hooked from the bottom. If chains are large enough to not slide under the coupler, I cross them over the hitch in front of the ball which keeps long chains from dragging and will likely prevent the tongue from hitting the ground if it falls off. Most trailers have been Ok except the current large tandem axle one from Magic Tilt which came with garbage Chicom running gear, brakes, wheels, hubs, springs, etc. Magic Tilt was of zero help in fixing things so they are on my s***t list.
                Tom L

Comment

• Figment
                  Gluten Enthusiast
                  • Dec 2001

I'm hearing plenty of negatives on magictilt lately.

I generally loop my safety chains through the tang on the receiver and then hook the S-hook into one of the chain links to bring things to the appropriate length. I don't think I've ever noticed anyone else doing this so I wonder.... is this bad practice?
                  People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Figment

I generally loop my safety chains through the tang on the receiver and then hook the S-hook into one of the chain links to bring things to the appropriate length. I don't think I've ever noticed anyone else doing this so I wonder.... is this bad practice?
                    I have done that in the past, way in the past, with my skiff trailer. S-hooks are illegal here now unless they have a "mouse" or Clip.
                    Edit to add; I still do that but I use shackles or similar.

Comment

• hikingchrs
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Figment

I was taught in my CDL School the proper way to shorten the chain in to twist it until the desired length is achieved... I also always change out the bent hooks for cast hooks with keepers. 20 years ago I saw the result if a two snowmobile trailer vs. a regular cab pickup truck, the tongue passed threw the windshield between the driver and passengers head. Scary lucky that it was not a fatality.

Comment

• CJ
                        Stinkpotter
                        • Mar 2004

Sat in my car at a rest area one time and watched a small boy 'playing' around a parked truck/travel trailer combo. The kid pulled out the safety pin which holds the large pin that locks the receiver to the truck. Wasn't even his family's set up. His parent's, completely unaware of what he was up to, called him away and he ran to his parents, dropping said safety pin. They took off. I waited for the truck owner to come out of the restaurant and told him what had happnened. You just never know...

Comment

Working...