Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: Daysailer conversion... Interesting project mostly woodenboat.... part not

Default Re: Daysailer conversion... Interesting project mostly woodenboat.... part not

Ok... time to start again... Purlins on... insulation and roof metal going on in next couple of weeks... recess is over.

I'm planning on focusing on this project over the next few weeks. iPhone pic

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 05-01-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Default Re: Daysailer conversion... Interesting project mostly woodenboat.... part not

looking forward to the progress.

Got caught looking at you shed and had my IPAD confiscated. Great, efficient job. Any idea how your plan for the boat will affect weight versus original? Good photos.

We think the completed daysailer version will be lighter... as the cabin and cockpit structure we cut out and removed were quite heavy. We will build a Herreshoff type cabin which I'm reasonably sure will be strong and not as heavy. Our cockpit should be significantly lighter ... the fiberglass cockpit structure was mostly solid panels everywhere... If you look at how we plan to proceed... we will frame out the cockpit and build slatted seats as shown at the beginning of this thread. Overall, after filling and fairing the hull both inside and outside... plus rebuilding bulkheads, V-berths, framing the decks... laying ply, glassing, etc... I think the overall weight should be at least 15-20% lighter..... just guessing from handling what we removed.

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 05-02-2014 at 04:06 PM.

I was looking again at the original post (#1). You ought to get some sort of tax break or a medal for beautifying America. The original is embarrassingly lumpy. The finished product promises to be truly beautiful.
    BTW, that's quite the impressive pole barn.

Thanks Tom... my partner, Stan, made most of the decisions... as it was his money to build a worthwhile structure for the long haul after the boat project. I mainly only wanted shade and the ability to lift the hull later in the project. We only allowed $500 on the joint boat fund towards this pole barn... as he ends up with a cool structure in the end on his land. The cost of the boat barn was one reason the project has been lagging ... and of course waiting for warm weather. Once the insulated metal roof is up... we will have less and less excuses to not keep working on this project.

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 05-02-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Fantastic project!
    I was considering doing something similar to my boat: http://sailing.agyra.com/p/thompson-t24.html
    I've been replacing the rotting plywood deck gradually but still struggling to keep her dry. But I'm thinking of a full-length flush deck like this one: http://frances26.org/index.php

Good luck with the rest of the project, thanks for the updates and keep them coming!

Your suggested project would be interesting... and a lot of fun...and a lighter craft for sure. Good luck...

Progress on our project is about to get started but we are getting the roof completed next.

RodB

That looks great. Just ahead of the heat.

I second the idea of re doing the sheer. Lower sheer helps. Low sheers have correspondingly less spring to them to look good so be careful about adding "spring". I nearly followed your path with a soft decked Columbia Sabre (5.5 meter hull) I was given. Getting the boat to a yard and out of the water proved to be a fruitful delay as I then came across my BB10 meter which was what I wanted all along! Enjoy your project. The overbuilt solid glass hulls are great foundations and often quite shapely. Our local yard has a Seafarer 31 that is looking like it will be cut up. I made a half model of her for her owner a few years ago and she has the underwater shape of an over fed small 12 meter - very sweet!

I keep hoping for an update on this. There's an essentially "free" Tempest...needs a mast and rigging... on a trailer about an hour from my house.

"Free".. riiiiiight.

How's this project coming along?
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

Edit nevermind
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Painter View Post
    I like your style RodB.

I'm halfway looking for an old derelict O'Day Mariner to spruce up and convert to an unstayed cat-yawl rig.
    I've always wanted to do that to a Thistle or a Lightning

I sailed a Tempest a few times, they're on my "favorite" list. Really nice. The rudder-to-rudder post construction is pretty flimsy if I remember right-- a few brazed bronze straps on a pretty undersized looking brass or bronze shaft. something you might want to look at if you're getting all the way into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    I keep hoping for an update on this. There's an essentially "free" Tempest...needs a mast and rigging... on a trailer about an hour from my house.

"Free".. riiiiiight.

How's this project coming along?
    Dont hold your breath. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Mr B got himself banned.
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Dont hold your breath. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Mr B got himself banned.
    Thanks for the update Pete , pity really , I was interested in that project.

Me too.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Really? Well, that sucks. I think this looks like a really fun project.
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

Back after a 2 year hiatus (don't ask), came to this post to see the progress and....he's banned????

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Stokes, N. Vancouver View Post
    Back after a 2 year hiatus (don't ask), came to this post to see the progress and....he's banned????
    He spent too much time mouthing off down in the Bilge. One day, he went too far. Pity, because this was an interesting thread.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Getting banned for “badmouthing down in the Bilge” is all good and fair, but is there any connection at all to do with the nature of the project?

Just asking, because there are personal reasons for questioning the ethics of mixing materials under a ‘wooden boat’ banner.
    I went through a stage in growing up where I wanted nothing to do with man-made fibres –only wanted to work with wood and metal fastenings – then after losing my boat in a shipwreck, was forced to accept other materials.
    Right now am busy with a 30 ft canoe which is based on a molded composite bottom, but will be identifiable with a wooden craft once finished…..in much the same way as OP’s the boat in thread was intended to be.
    -Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Lugalong View Post
    Getting banned for “badmouthing down in the Bilge” is all good and fair, but is there any connection at all to do with the nature of the project?

Just asking, because there are personal reasons for questioning the ethics of mixing materials under a ‘wooden boat’ banner.
    I went through a stage in growing up where I wanted nothing to do with man-made fibres –only wanted to work with wood and metal fastenings – then after losing my boat in a shipwreck, was forced to accept other materials.
    Right now am busy with a 30 ft canoe which is based on a molded composite bottom, but will be identifiable with a wooden craft once finished…..in much the same way as OP’s the boat in thread was intended to be.
    -Jeremy
    I'd say there's plenty of interest in Rod's project, and not many objections to his updating us on it. I hope when he gets back he'll have a lot of progress to report.

Sounds as though Rod has to serve some sort of punishment term, and that he may eventually be back to continue his progress report……..this banning process is something I don’t have much knowledge of.

I just hope his groveling with ground glass in the bilge area of his hull was the only trigger to his apparently bad behaviour in the forum bilge.
    So to leave this thread open to Rod’s possible return, perhaps I should start a new thread on the ethics issue once I have figured out how to go about it.
    -Jerem

Quote Originally Posted by Lugalong View Post
    Sounds as though Rod has to serve some sort of punishment term, and that he may eventually be back to continue his progress report……..this banning process is something I don’t have much knowledge of.

I just hope his groveling with ground glass in the bilge area of his hull was the only trigger to his apparently bad behaviour in the forum bilge.
    So to leave this thread open to Rod’s possible return, perhaps I should start a new thread on the ethics issue once I have figured out how to go about it.
    -Jerem
    Well, people do get passionate about politics. It's important to have good manners during any disagreement.

RodB just finished a fairly major restoration project: My boat. He was a pleasure to work with, and did excellent work. I will try to post some pictures on a new threw in a couple of weeks.

Wonderful. I hope his daysailer project is coming on well. By the way, he's a hell of a photographer, get him to take the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Wonderful. I hope his daysailer project is coming on well. By the way, he's a hell of a photographer, get him to take the pictures.

Don't worry, all pictures will be his. You should see some of his professional photo work, quite impressive.