Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41314

Thread: Pathfinder build

Default Re: Pathfinder build

Actually we do get winter here in Aruba. Usually it is 28-30 degrees but these days it is a frigid 25-26 degrees. All in Celsius. Days are about an hour shorter than the longest days... It is all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Excellent Rik, a great boat you chose, and chose well.
    Thanks Johnno. Thanks to this forum I could get the necessary data to make that right choice.

Just a very short vid to show some Pathfinder fishing action...

Great videos!
    She looks so comfortable and powerful.

She sails very stable. That video we had 23 knots sustained with gusts of 25+/ South of the island we have a 2 knot current and a good open ocean chop. The Pathfinder just remains in her groove all the time. Moves along with power to spare. Maybe a dodger in the future will make her less wet on the ocean.

Mr. Welsford sure designs some great boats. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

After some idle time we are at it again... Posting that is.

The pathfinder is getting some modifications. Details can be found here:
    https://pathfindervanessa.blogspot.com

On this forum results and short notices (with pics) will be posted.

Some changes follow gooseneck attachment of boom instead of sprit setup.

Boomvang attachment to boom...

and to bottom mast:

and install reefing setup on boom, this one is forward on boom, same aft:
    Last edited by Rik van der Vaart; 06-16-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Got two of these for the rudder uphaul:
    A1-QHqizttL._SL1500_.jpg
    Not sure if it's ok to post this picture, because of the product name... Sorry.

I did the same gooseneck mod on mine a few years ago, and used all the snotter hardware for an outhaul on the boom, so it was still self vanging. It sped up rigging a bit, and meant the jib had nothing forward of the mast to get snagged on.
    If you do something similar, the bitter end of the outhaul needs to run at least halfway back along boom - otherwise you can't reach it. DAMHIKT!
    About the only (minor) downside, if the main is laced on, is the lacing snagging a bit on the gooseneck track, when reefing.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Thanks pete. When done i will post pics.
    Having some issues with epoxy. Is not hardening fast as before.poddibly because it has been standing around too long? I did not know epoxy parts went bad in time. Anybody with same issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Rik van der Vaart View Post
    Thanks pete. When done i will post pics.
    Having some issues with epoxy. Is not hardening fast as before.poddibly because it has been standing around too long? I did not know epoxy parts went bad in time. Anybody with same issues?
    Epoxy doesn't stop working with age, or at least as much as 5 years in my experience. More likely the mix ratio was off. If you're using pumps, check the calibration.
    -Dave

Hi Dave thanks for feedback. Ok, i used new pumps. It is a 1:2 ratio so if i was off it could cure ok in some more time.

Edit: seems that time has cured the epoxy... Good thing I don't have to throw away the precious stuff... and redo the work on the boat.

Next is painting the holes in the deck and cockpit for the plugs and fit them with a hose in between...
    Last edited by Rik van der Vaart; 06-25-2019 at 09:52 AM.

In engineering and financial planning stages is the 12V backbone and fixed vhf install in the Pathfinder. More to follow.

Had a nice mod-shakedown sail yesterday in 25+ winds. Boat did good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rik van der Vaart View Post
    Had a nice mod-shakedown sail yesterday in 25+ winds. Boat did good.
    There you go! Any small boat you can confidently sail through 25+ breezes is a keeper!
    Congratulations on having built a beautiful boat.

John Welsford does design good boats.The world needs more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Noto View Post
    There you go! Any small boat you can confidently sail through 25+ breezes is a keeper!
    Congratulations on having built a beautiful boat.
    Thanks Chris. I built her a while ago but recently made some small mods to her like foredeck drains and reefing system. Especially ocean work needed them. Always working on her to get her better.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    John Welsford does design good boats.The world needs more of them.
    I agree John. Building a Sherpa, third boat designed by Welsford. They are all cool and good boats.

Hi Rik,
    Good to see you out enjoying the water again. And I'm going to steal that idea for the rubber tiller ties!

Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Hi Rik,
    Good to see you out enjoying the water again. And I'm going to steal that idea for the rubber tiller ties!

Mal
    Hi Mal,
    Just fixing helm together with sail trim should give directional control. I have not experimented a lot with that yet. Will soon.
    Is your ship in the water?

Hey Rik-- Good to see you posting again! I too have been experimenting with various modifications. Mostly small stuff. I discovered after 3 years of sailing her, I had my gaff lines for the uphaul too close together. Also changed out my jib sheet cleats to swivel versions, a huge improvement. I built a wood version of one of those "tiller tamers," which serves the same purpose of your rubber tiller tie. Mine is unnecessarily complicated, and I'm liking the simplicity of your solution. Plus, mine broke a piece and I'm feeling lazy about rebuilding it.

I took Crucible on her first Texas 200 in June. She performed admirably, but the wind did not cooperate: for the first time in that event, the wind shifted directly from the north, meaning we had 4 straight days of mostly head-on wind. The shallow intercoastal water area means staying in the ship channel, so you really couldn't tack: we ran the motor for most of the event. I was certainly grateful to have a reliable motor, but man I was sick of that lawnmower running constantly just a foot away from my head. On the last day we finally got a normal wind and had a delightful downwind run to the finish line. Also did some night sailing the first night to take advantage of the normal wind pattern before it shifted the next morning. I was nervous about staying in the channel but ultimately it was a pretty cool experience. I also think I may have a small crack in my hull somewhere: the bilge had a few inches of water--more than I would expect from sloshing up through the CB trunk.

Carry on and looking forward to your mods and seeing what I can steal from you.

--Mike
    “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go -- so long as you do not stop.”
    -Confucius

Hi Mike,
    Good to hear from you. Thanks for the post.
    It is great we get to try out different things. We built the damn boat so we can change what we want!
    The steering thing looks good, for now I have only really used it when at anchor to prevent the helm from banging around. But cruising here is in the plans. Gusty winds make it hard to set the rudder and not risk accidents. It should be possible though to reef down maybe and then try it.
    Yes me too hates engine. I have made the hole in the boat for it, but the hassle has stopped me from actually going out with the engine mounted. I leave it in the garage. We never have no-wind situations here...
    Sorry to hear about the water in the bilge. I have it too when on the ocean and some wave splashes on the foredeck. That water would get in the air chamber through leaky portholes. Hopefully now that will not happen so much anymore because of the new foredeck drainholes. Havent been far out yet to really test that, will get to that in August.
    What I gather from you it may be coming from the hull somewhere. CB pivot? Time to take out the flashlight and inspection mirror bro.

Hi Rik,
    Good to see you're sailing and enjoying your Pathfinder. I agree it is a great design! Launched last summer at the north end of Lake Huron and enjoyed getting to know the boat a bit. Annoying health issues kept me from my winter projects as did unfavorable weather this spring. Looking forward to sailing again in the next week or so.

Bob

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for you post. Hope those health issues are gone. Happy sailing.

Sail on.

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the post.
    Hope those health issues are gone.
    Sail on.