Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prayers for a little girl

Default Re: Prayers for a little girl

My brother is going to the police impound yard on Tuesday to take pictures of the wrecked van. I'm hoping that the pontoon boat and trailer are also there. I'd like to see close-ups of the tie-down points and any evidence about whether the boat was tied down or not. Also want to see the hitch and safety chains. It's still unclear whether the trailer came off the car, then the boat separated from the trailer or if the boat just came flying off the trailer. The only picture I've seen of the accident site shows the boat sitting by itself in the middle of the road surrounded by spray foam put down by the fire department to soak up gas spilled from the boat's fuel tank. The police haven't finished their investigation yet, so a police report hasn't been issued. While the immediate family attends to Natalie, the rest of us (plus the lawyers) would like a look at that report.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

My brother talked to the police today about the accident. Seems that both vehicles were going in opposite directions when the trailer came off the hitch of one vehicle. Boat and trailer smashed into the side of my family's minivan, crushing the driver's side mostly at the rear. Boat and trailer separated at some point and crashed into the following minivan. Eleven people in all were transported to the hospital. All were treated and released except my grand-niece who remains in a coma.
    When asked if the towing vehicle had safety chains (required in North Carolina) or tie-down straps, the police clammed up. They won't release that info because criminal charges are pending. The exact charges won't be decided, depending on Natalie's condition and expected recovery time. So, I guess they're holding off for a few weeks before filing these charges. What they'll be, we have no idea. I'm going to ask a couple of police friends of mine what they think.

Thanks for the update.

From the fact that the police clammed up like that, it MAY be that they did not have safety chains or tie-down straps. Strange that the cops wouldn't tell you.

So very sorry about Natalie. Sending her more prayers and smoke....

Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Praying!
    Happiness is worth waiting for!

Hoping for the best here Richard.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

thanks for the update..
    i will say another prayer for the little girl

Waiting is danged difficult. Best to all.
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

bump?
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

Yes - How is she?

Ten days after the accident, she's stable but still in an induced coma. Doctors won't attempt to wake her until the brain swelling is down; something that could take weeks. But, she continues to show slight improvements.

My brother visited with the EMT's and firemen who did the rescue to thank them. The EMT station was just down the block from the accident sight and one EMT heard the collision, ran down the block and was there in 90 seconds. Rescue crews were there two minutes later.
    The lead fire official said that he saw the trailer and that the latch on the hitch was in the down position and it did have safety chains. But, the driver didn't realize at first that he'd lost the trailer and didn't stop until about 1/2 mile down the road. I'm thinking that the trailer tongue wasn't fully down on the ball when he latched it, then never bothered to hook the chains. Gravity held things together until he hit a little dip in the road and things went south. If the chains how been attached, even if they snapped, he would have felt a bit of a lurch and come to a stop long before he did. I don't know his speed at the time, but the debris field was 700' long.
    Thanks all for your concern.

So slow but encouraging. We'll continue hoping.

Meanwhile, perhaps the ball was a size smaller than the socket. In that case the latch can be down and the unit can still hop out. If the safety chains and attachments were not broken, sounds most likely they were not hooked up.

People really don't look back. It was a low speed about thirty years ago but I heard first and then saw a car cruising down Everett in NW Portland with an unattached trailer following but completely unhitched. As the car passed I yelled and jumped but the guy was not looking in his rearview and didn't notice anything for another half block, when the trailer finally veered off to the right and smashed into a parked car.

The fire official told my brother that trailer-coming-loose accidents are not uncommon in his area, being that's it's a barrier island with lots of boat trailer traffic. People are just too casual/forgetful/inexperienced or just can't be bothered to do things right. Most of these accidents harm only cars and boats, this one was far worse.

rant: People don't check that their trailer lights are working, either. I've flagged down cops who hadn't checked their mounted patrol (horse trailer) 's lights.
    /rant:
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by htom View Post
    rant: People don't check that their trailer lights are working, either. I've flagged down cops who hadn't checked their mounted patrol (horse trailer) 's lights.
    /rant:
    I bought a boat in NY state & carefully folded the corner of the plate over the 7 year old reg. date, stopped at a friends garage, replaced all the lights & safety chains & drove home.

A cop stopped me in VT & explained that the reg was 7 years overdue. I admitted guilt & he then said "Those look like new lights". I replied that I'd replaced them & the chains before coming home & he looked at me oddly & said "Do you know how few boat trailers I see with working lights?". I replied "Probably less than half" & he laughed, thanked me for making the trailer safe, & then asked me how far I had to go. When I told him only 30 miles, he said "Have a good trip & get it registered before you move it again!"

I too get ticked off when I see trailers of any kind with bad or no lights. Every time I hook on a trailer, I turn on parking lights & flashers & do a 360 walk around the trailer & tow vehicle. I do the same every time I stop to check the load or make a pit stop or whatever.

Thanks for the update Richard. Still pulling for her!

Continual prayers in my nightly compliment of prayers for you and yours!!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Richard, this requires so much patience - I feel for your family. Your little grand-niece has such a long road to full recovery. Thinking of her daily...
    It will all be OK in the end...so if it's not OK, you're not at the end.

Hows the little one coming on? Prayers from downunder, I'm normally not on speaking terms with the big guy, but, in this circumstance, I will swallow my pride and hit the floor on my knees.

Doctors are happy with her progress. Little hopeful signs every day. Still in an induced coma, but reacting to stimuli. Brain swelling is going down.
    The wife and I are flying down there next week to lend our support. My Mom, who lives there, needs a little help around the house. My sister, who survived the accident with just bruises, somehow managed to fall and break her arm on Saturday. She's still there, also, trying to help anyway she can.
    Thanks for the thoughts.

Awesome!!!!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Glad to hear that what progress there is is positive, we'll be thinking of her.

Excellent!

Good news so far. We're still with you and yours.

Up & down, Up & down..

Glad to hear about the little one!

Hope your sister mends well & quickly..

enjoy
    bobby

Positive progress is good no matter how slow. Best wishes still coming from CT.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

My wife and I have just returned from a week in N.C. to visit my grand-niece in the hospital and her family staying there to support her.
    She's now out of the induced coma, but after 30 days in I.C.U., she remains comatose. Not quite awake, not quite asleep. Eyes only partially open, but vacant. Her body is as limp as a sleeping baby. She breaths thru a hole in her throat and is feed via a tube through her abdomen into her stomach. It was the most heart-wrenching sight I've ever seen, to see this beautiful, fun-loving child reduced to this.
    It's now very obvious that she's got severe brain trauma. But, the doctors keep saying that there's reason for hope. Her life will never be normal again, but they feel that such a young brain has the abiltiy to re-wire itself and, with LOTS of re-hab, she can re-learn some of the fundamentals of life.
    I just hope her family's lawyers are really good. Any lawsuit against the offending driver is going to have to be in the millions to pay for medical bills and a lifetime of care.
    They've got health insurance, but I don't know what the limits are on that. After only 30 days, the medical bills are already over a quarter million.
    She is in good enough shape, no longer extremely critical, to move to the rehab wing of the hospital this week. She's making slow progress, but it is progress.

Damn. I sure was hoping for better news Richard. Here's hoping that she not only gets better, but that she gets a lot better!

My god that's a horrific story. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

That is crushing news, Richard; my heart goes out to you and your family. Prayers for your little grand-niece.
    It will all be OK in the end...so if it's not OK, you're not at the end.

Oh Richard, I am so sorry. This must be terribly hard for her family and community. Prayers still from here.

t
    "The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." - Oscar Wilde

I am crying as I try to type ... I am so sorry, Richard ... waht the hell ... I am so sad for you ... like tomf said ... prayers still from here ... have never stopped.

Hang in there, brother.

B

My heart goes to you and your family.

damn. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Richard, so very sorry. I can't even begin to imagine if that were my own children.
    "Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

Really sorry Richard. Hang in there buddy.

Tom
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com

'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

So very sorry. It's heartbreaking. Prayers and love continue to come from here too.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

I'm going to agree with the doctors. Youth and enthusiasm can overcome a lot of trauma. Prayer and well wishes sent again...

Man, Richard, I feel for she, you & your family.. Count me with Garret & BrianW.. Hoping she gets a lot better.. & never underestimate the resiliency of youth.. coupled with a loving family..

Read in dead tree publishing, so no links, but I recall a study showing that comatose children whose families literally camped out in the child's room had a _much_ better chance of both recovery & excellent recovery.. The details I remember were that comatose children of (in this case) Hispanic families who (Ma, Pa, uncles, aunts & other kids) were active & joyful in the room with their bed ridden young one had the best results. Anyone with more info/links to fill in would be great. Long & short, move into that girls room, laugh & joke and let her (unconscious but receptive) mind know you're there with her. 'Course, you & your family may be way ahead of me here.. in which case, it's 'bout time I catch up..

and with others out here, I offer a prayer to spirit..

mitakuye oyasin
    bobby

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together..

Other than bathroom breaks and meals, her mother hasn't left that room in 30 days. Her father is constantly there also when not attending to the needs of their other two children. My sister, the child's grandmother, is also constantly in the room. Plus other visiting family members and friends. Conversation is always on the upbeat side of things. Music and reading to her are constant.

Since they were in the area for vacation when the accident occurred, they are about 1000 miles from home.
    Ronald McDonald House has proved a God-send. It's a great place for families of sick children to stay, cost's very little, and provides an almost home-like atmosphere. The people who run it are great. I can't say enough good things about it.
    If you ever want to donate to a good cause, this is definately one to consider.

This surely a tragic situation but I wouldn't give up hope just yet. The young have amazing powers of recovery and being surrounded by family cannot hurt. I presume she is breathing on her own, at least I see nothing to the contrary, and that can only be a good sign.

I hope the guy pulling that trailer is well insured. Be interesting to see just how long the weasels at the insurance company try to hold things up.

Anyway, best of luck and my thoughts are with her and the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Other than bathroom breaks and meals, her mother hasn't left that room in 30 days. Her father is constantly there also when not attending to the needs of their other two children. My sister, the child's grandmother, is also constantly in the room. Plus other visiting family members and friends. Conversation is always on the upbeat side of things. Music and reading to her are constant.

Since they were in the area for vacation when the accident occurred, they are about 1000 miles from home.
    Ronald McDonald House has proved a God-send. It's a great place for families of sick children to stay, cost's very little, and provides an almost home-like atmosphere. The people who run it are great. I can't say enough good things about it.
    If you ever want to donate to a good cause, this is definately one to consider.
    Cool, as in Wicked Cool.. Man, am I glad to be late on this one! & hoping the other young 'uns get in there too.

I know a girl, heck, she's 19 now, who was born with way more holes in her body than is appropriate.. For years her family.. Ma, Pa & brother when he came along, would camp out in her room in N-ville on the oh, so many times she was in for surgery. It works.

mitakuye oyasin
    bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    If you ever want to donate to a good cause, this is definitely one to consider.
    My partner (Michele to those of you haven't met her) has volunteered at the RM House in Burlington, VT for over 20 years. Through that, I've learned a great deal about it & couldn't agree more - a truly wonderful place. I might also add that, contrary to general perceptions, MacDonalds itself contributes very little to the houses other than providing a clearing house for donations (for example Coca Cola donates 100% of all US house's soda needs, Serta donates mattresses, etc.). Most all the $ for running the houses comes from local contributors (including the local franchise owners).

While they all need financial support, they also need volunteers. People do shifts (usually 3 or 4 hours) to cook, clean & help with the needs of folks staying there.

So sorry to hear the news.

Prayer said and hopefully she will make it through to a full recovery.
    The beach beckons.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    My partner (Michele to those of you haven't met her) has volunteered at the RM House in Burlington, VT for over 20 years. Through that, I've learned a great deal about it & couldn't agree more - a truly wonderful place. I might also add that, contrary to general perceptions, MacDonalds itself contributes very little to the houses other than providing a clearing house for donations (for example Coca Cola donates 100% of all US house's soda needs, Serta donates mattresses, etc.). Most all the $ for running the houses comes from local contributors (including the local franchise owners).

While they all need financial support, they also need volunteers. People do shifts (usually 3 or 4 hours) to cook, clean & help with the needs of folks staying there.
    I also knew nothing about how they were funded until now. The House they're staying in has areas funded by sports stars. Micheal Jorden donated the entire common living area in this house. Signed jerseys, basketballs and sneakers all over the place.
    But it's the every day volunteers who are the real heroes.

Garret, please give Michele a hug from our family.

Still more prayers, for her and all of you.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post

This is good to know. Thanks.

enjoy
    bobby

Good thoughts to all concerned; I might add that while american med is good at trauma other traditions are good at healing. you might start the ball rolling by looking around for some good chinese/herbal medicine practitioners. when she goes home any stimulation like massage would be a good thing. bad juju for a kid to have to take on a motorized menace.

All the best to you and your family as you deal with this deep tragedy. It is true that young brains sometimes have the ability to reprogram themselves. I hope that you see sign that this is happening soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 2MeterTroll View Post
    I might add that while american med is good at trauma other traditions are good at healing. you might start the ball rolling by looking around for some good chinese/herbal medicine practitioners. when she goes home any stimulation like massage would be a good thing.
    Very true.

Is there an update on her progress to date.

There are many of us here that would like to know how well she is doing.
    The beach beckons.

Things are looking up a bit. She's still comatose, but after 30 days she's out of I.C.U. and into the re-hab wing of the hospital. She's been there for a week or so, now. She's able to follow some simple commands such as move her limbs when told to and seems to be trying to mouth words when asked. The docs expect her to wake up a lot more in the next few weeks. They seem to be satisfied with her progress..

A fundraising spaghetti dinner was held in her small hometown this past weekend. Nine hundred people showed up. Family, friends and total strangers (mostly people who had never heard of her) came together and raised over $15,000 for the family. This money will go a long way in helping with everyday expenses. Both parents had to take leaves of absence from work to take care of the girl. Hopefully, she can be transferred closer to home this summer.