Thread: Anybody here eating "Pink Slime"

Default Anybody here eating "Pink Slime"

The ground beef we grill once in awhile is premium meat. We rarely buy meat patties of any sort at fast food outlets. Our main effort iis to minimize fat consumption.

Maybe some lab should proove that eating Pink Slime results in healthier rats, eh?

Default Re: Anybody here eating "Pink Slime"

Our rats are plenty healthy, thank you.

All the time...by the bucket full. Why do you ask?

Honestly, I fail to see what all the fuss is about. It's just meat that has been finely ground up and semi-liquified. The ammonia treatment has been used without a problem for a long time and there's apparently no evidence that it is in any way harmful to people that eat the stuff.
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

We have only ate/eat Elk, bear, Deer burger for the past 8 years but have run out, We did help fill our friends freezers though and can get some any time.

I ask because it's front page news today, though my chances to eat it are only occasional.

Enjoy your slime! Yum, Yum!

I like the flames that cheap fatty ground beef provides

I like the strawberry-flavored stuff the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Play with your long term health, go ahead. I won't touch it.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Il colore del cielo, la forza del mare.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    The ground beef we grill once in awhile is premium meat. We rarely buy meat patties of any sort at fast food outlets. Our main effort iis to minimize fat consumption.

Maybe some lab should proove that eating Pink Slime results in healthier rats, eh?
    The meat used in "Pink Slime" (or as I call it, "Beef Frosty Freeze") is from the intestinal cavity, and is usually contaminated with E-Coli. The meat used to be processed for pet food, but some bean counter decided they needed higher yield from the beef carcass because we don't have enough meat to go'round with the 106,000 cattle slaughtered daily. (source http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sj_ls710.txt)

The average useable yield from a 1,150 lb steer is about 715 lbs of beef, or 71,500,000lbs. If you believe in 1/4 pound sized servings, that's 286,000,000 portions a day for almost every man-woman-and-child in this country.

That's not including the other animals slaughtered daily.. have a look:

CATTLE CALVES HOGS SHEEP
    Friday 03/30/2012 (est) 106,000 2,000 409,000 8,000
    Week ago (est) 107,000 3,000 416,000 7,000
    Year ago (act) 124,000 3,000 393,000 7,000
    Week to date (est) 597,000 13,000 2,057,000 45,000
    Same Period Last Week (est) 596,000 15,000 2,077,000 38,000
    Same Period Last Year (act) 628,000 15,000 2,058,000 40,000

The question is, do you want to ingest animal parts from the intestinal cavity that have been subjected to Ammonia to kill the E-coli? Seems like even if it is safe, that it nukes any semblance of "tastiness" from the meat and is used as "filler" just to stretch the ground beef.

Is is really necessary?

I think I'd prefer some sawdust instead if push came to shove.
    Last edited by BrianM; 03-30-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    The meat used in "Pink Slime" (or as I call it, "Beef Frosty Freeze") is from the intestinal cavity, and is usually contaminated with E-Coli. The meat used to be processed for pet food, but some bean counter decided they needed higher yield from the beef carcass because we don't have enough meat to go'round with the 106,000 cattle slaughtered daily. (source http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sj_ls710.txt)

The average useable yield from a 1,150 lb steer is about 715 lbs of beef, or 71,500,000lbs. If you believe in 1/4 pound sized servings, that's 286,000,000 portions a day for almost every man-woman-and-child in this country.

That's not including the other animals slaughtered daily.. have a look:

CATTLE CALVES HOGS SHEEP
    Friday 03/30/2012 (est) 106,000 2,000 409,000 8,000
    Week ago (est) 107,000 3,000 416,000 7,000
    Year ago (act) 124,000 3,000 393,000 7,000
    Week to date (est) 597,000 13,000 2,057,000 45,000
    Same Period Last Week (est) 596,000 15,000 2,077,000 38,000
    Same Period Last Year (act) 628,000 15,000 2,058,000 40,000

The question is, do you want to ingest animal parts from the intestinal cavity that have been subjected to Ammonia to kill the E-coli? Seems like even if it is safe, that it nukes any semblance of "tastiness" from the meat and is used as "filler" just to stretch the ground beef.

Is is really necessary?

I think I'd prefer some sawdust instead if push came to shove.
    Is it really necessary?
    Nope.
    Sawdust?
    Naugh, there are lots of good things to eat that aren't animals.
    I'm trying hard not to get up on my vegetarian soap box...

People in other parts of the world eat intestines and all sorts of other animal bits and pieces that we consider to be gross and disgusting and they get along just fine..and actually enjoy it.

It's a cultural thing more than anything else.

As for the long term health consequences - well, consider the fact that you're eating red meat, probably cooked on a grill. No matter how natural, organic and pink slime free it is, it's not good for you. If the fat an chloresterol doesn't get ya, the carcinogens formed as the meat cooks will. Then you gotta wonder what kind of additional crap you're ingesting if you're using charcoal as you heat source. Charcoal briquets aren't actual chunks of wood, ya know...even of they were, do you really want think that eating wood combustion products is gonna be good for you?

It's kind like those "all natural tobacco" cigarettes they sell. Ya gotta wonder how much healthier they are than the regular kind.

Do I like the thought of the stuff? Not particularly. Would I choose to use it in my own cooking? Not intentionally. Have I ever had any problem of any kind with it? Nope and apparently neither has anyone else.

All I'm asking for is a little more perspective and little less hysteria.

This article sums it up pretty well:

http://news.discovery.com/human/pink...gy-120319.html

BTW - next time you or you kids enjoy a cool and refreshing Jello dessert, remember that gelatin is made from bones, intestines and cartilage. Yum yum!
    Last edited by BrianY; 03-30-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower