Last year (2011) I made the trip to Portland for the Boatbuilder's Show. I will admit, I am a greenhorn to the industry of boatbuilding and some of the yachts out there. While I had not heard of Tar Baby, my father had and quickly pulled my aside to fill me in a bit on the boat and a few of the people we know who have served this mighty vessel. I made the trip to Portland a couple weeks ago to look at Tar Baby in further detail, only to find she had been moved outside so a different project could be moved into her spot. I have now been a builder's apprentice for a little over a year now and find myself fascinated by wooden boats.
Getting to my point, shortly after my 2011 visit, I quickly drafted up a plan to save Tar Baby since no one else has come forward to keep her from a death with the wood chipper or termites. I was originally trying to get her to become a working classroom for the Cape Cod Maritime Museum. However, the Museum seems to be dragging it's feet. Not to mention the waiting list for a mooring that can handle a vessel her size is more than inconvenient.
I am putting this out here because I want to find a home for Tar Baby. I am looking for another location, whether it be another museum or maybe even a chartering company that would be able to appreciate this vessel and have the facilities to berth her. The transom does say Hyannisport however and I would love for her to stay there. Only problem is the waiting list for a mooring there is much too long. Any availability would be for the next generation and likely not for an immediate need. I have run out of ideas and if someone else can think of something that would work, awesome. I have people in my area that are ready to jump to work and donate time and possibly material for when she comes out of the water if the project were to continue in the immediate area. But I don't think it will be hard to convince people in another area to come and donate time and money if she goes elsewhere.
Last I knew, asking price for the boat was $100,000. The boat needs to be essentially rebuilt from the ground up, as she suffers from extensive rot and her bow is dropping. Looking at $1.5 million w/labor for a rebuild.
Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes! I feel strongly for this boat and would love to see her rebuilt and serve another 100 years on the seas. I hope someone out there feels similar to how I feel and can come up with some ideas.