Seemed like I was taking up too much space on the SCAMP thread with a boat that is extremely modified and a bit of distraction from the "as designed" SCAMP so I'm posting here.
A little history first. Some folks don't like me messing with a Welsford design that is already so perfect for its intended purpose. I blame all my changes to the SCAMP design on my fishing buddy who long ago complained about the old straight mast being in his way when we were fishing so I glued up a laminated mast that curved around him. That shut him up and was 100% successful but it opened up a whole brand new can of worms. I got to thinking how much better I could make it. My mom passed away and left me with money to play with and Xena, my CY with its birdwing mast was the result. Since then I've built another smaller birdwing mast that was intended to be Xena's mizzen but I was too ambitious with the scale of it and it just ended up being too big for that. Now I'm building a SCAMP on which to use the smaller birdwing mast and its sail which are already in existence. Using Adobe Illustrator on my computer, its pretty easy to compare the "as draw" lug rig with my existing birdwing rig. Because of its unusual shape, the birdwing mast wanted to be stepped at bulkhead 4 rather than bulkhead 3 where the lug mast is stepped. With the mast step no longer at bulkhead three, there was no reason not to extend the cabin space forward all the way to bulkhead two. This gives me a great place in the shade for a large cooler for fishing and also gives me the longer cockpit sole for storing the 9' oars I'd like to use. One thing leads to another. You change one thing and you find yourself changing everything else.
Another change came about because the boat ramp around the corner from my house is three miles down the Matanzas River from open water. There's tidal current and lots of boat traffic in the river so I envisioned using the motor a lot and wanted it inside the cockpit where it would be easier to mess with especially since I'm no spring chicken anymore. This is another case where I already had the equipment, my 4 HP Yamaha, and I needed to adapt it to the SCAMP. With permission from Mr. Welsford, he reluctantly agreed to the use of the over-sized motor in an inboard motor well. Because the motor is somewhat of a brute at 47 lbs., I wanted it centrally located and this dictated the use of twin rudders on either side of the motor. One thing leads to another.
Another thing that was painfully obvious in comparing the "as-drawn" lug rig with my existing birdwing sail was that my birdwing mainsail was very much under-sized. This got me thinking about a bowsprit and a jib to help make up the difference. I was delighted to find bulkhead 2 and the bow transom sitting there waiting to contain a bowsprit with minimum fuss. At first I thought that a deployable bowsprit would be a problem with the birdwing mast in the way stepped at bulkhead 4 but then I realized that by making the slot at bulkhead 3 much wider than the one at the bow transom, I could insert the bowsprit at an angle and avoid the mast entirely. It just meant that the bowsprit needs to get wider at its tail end to finally fill the wider slot when the bowsprit is fully inserted. I hope it will work well but it's all pretty much an experiment.
I would like to stay on John Welsford's good side but I must confess I'm a terrible person to work with. First off, I have the attention span of a two year old toddler so I tend to change my mind often and even go back to ideas that I had previously discarded. The other thing is I am fully immersed in this SCAMP build. I'm retired, single, and have nothing else that I have to do except build my SCAMP. This is a good thing for me but it may be an irritation for other people. I'm more of a fisherman than a sailor so fishing is darn important for my SCAMP. On the other hand, I can easily see me racing other SCAMPs to compare the birdwing rig with the big lug. So I'm building a fishing boat that will also have to race. This can be quite a problem but one I'm having a blast trying to solve. So when you SCAMPers out there realize I've extended the cabin forward, added a bowsprit and made the water ballast into a partitioned live well, don't hate me for it. Please remember it's all my fishing buddy's fault!