Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: A bit of fill and antifoul will sort it out.

Default Re: A bit of fill and antifoul will sort it out.

We had our 3 day club regatta 2 weekends ago, we managed a mid-fleet finish and had a great time in the process.
    One of the crew took some nice shots.

Last weekend was a 3 hour race which went out into cook strait, round some bouys and home.
    It was a handicap start, and we managed to be first home and took the handicap win as well. It was a wet and wild race with slightly too much sail up at times!
    We managed to hit 12.7 knots heading out of the harbour surfing with the small spinnaker up. Apparently it was gusting up to 40 knots according to yachts with wind gear.

Well, the last race of the season was last Saturday.
    That list of jobs I've been putting off will need to be addressed now.

Fleet approaching the first mark.

Approaching the top mark. We passed two boats in the shifty winds by getting on the right side of a couple of big shifts.

Kite up and off!

I've changed the plumbing from the diesel tanks so that the starboard side tank under the cockpit is out of service. I have a bit of heel to starboard due to the galley so this decided which side to get rid of.
    At the moment I am pumping out of that tank and the return goes to the portside. I must remember to check how much is left in it as there was about 80 litres the last time I checked. This will get rid of the problem of the tanks draining to each other while heeled.
    I have a keel tank with 250 litres in it as well so I will still have about 350 capacity!
    The list of jobs is still waiting for attention as we are doing the winter series which runs until the end of July.
    The key job then is repairing the shaft log, that has been delignified and is now leaking.
    There are others here with the same job in front of them which I have been following.
    I've a spot of rot in the ply deck around a vent in the bow.
    Rot in the other side of the cockpit due to the teak trim, grrr!
    Anyway we got second on handicap on Sunday, so all happy in the meantime.
    This shot is just before the start in 25 knots, gusting over 30.

August is going to be busy, getting ready for the summer season!

That's a great shot! She looks beautiful!

Rick

I'll say , whats that between you and the 88, a mull 40?

Montego Bay III, a Simpson 40 something.

I've raced against one of the Montego bays , probably II I think . Its a Simpson as well, looks like a Spencer.... hard chine , ply I assume ,and is red.

Do you beat yours?

They beat us by 4 seconds over the line in the first race of winter series, so we got them on handicap.
    Second race they beat us by 10 seconds on handicap as well.
    I moved moorings today to get away from the swell that is now generated by the under wharf carpark added to the overseas terminal apartment block in a northeaster. I was getting 1/2 metre swells on the beam running down the wall.

The building in question is in the background.

The yacht beside me is Lisa, a Sparkman and Stephen. I Like the teak deck and cabin, transom is unfortunate.

The one in the background is Atalanta, an 1894 Bailey 40 foot centreboarder that is being very slowly restored back to original by the Wellington yacht restoration trust.
    She sat in a shed for 12 years, but floats no problem after a couple of weeks of work on the hardstand.
    They are going to take the later keel off and put the centreboard back in eventually.
    The Yacht designer who is doing the planning of the restoration is the son of an owner from the late 40's.
    Last edited by Slacko; 12-29-2016 at 03:29 AM. Reason: putting photo back in

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've raced against one of the Montego bays , probably II I think . Its a Simpson as well, looks like a Spencer.... hard chine , ply I assume ,and is red.

Do you beat yours?
    At Hobsonville marina, John, and about to be for sale, if she's not already. Owner has bought a plastic 18m job. You looking for a third ?
    "The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by CapnJ2ds View Post
    At Hobsonville marina, John, and about to be for sale, if she's not already. Owner has bought a plastic 18m job. You looking for a third ?

Ahhh, let me think about that for a nano second... nO.! Its a good looking boat , when it was for sale oooo 2005? 6? my mates and I talked about it and thought what a nice passagemaker it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    They beat us by 4 seconds over the line in the first race of winter series, so we got them on handicap.
    Second race they beat us by 10 seconds on handicap as well.
    I moved moorings today to get away from the swell that is now generated by the under wharf carpark added to the overseas terminal apartment block in a northeaster. I was getting 1/2 metre swells on the beam running down the wall.

The building in question is in the background.

The yacht beside me is Lisa, a Sparkman and Stephen. I Like the teak deck and cabin, transom is unfortunate.

The one in the background is Atalanta, an 1894 Bailey 40 foot centreboarder that is being very slowly restored back to original by the Wellington yacht restoration trust.
    She sat in a shed for 12 years, but floats no problem after a couple of weeks of work on the hardstand.
    They are going to take the later keel off and put the centreboard back in eventually.
    The Yacht designer who is doing the planning of the restoration is the son of an owner from the late 40's.

When I saw Lisa I thought I was looking at Quicksilver , and then maybe Tempo...

It's been a year since my last post on here, wow!
    Plenty of work has been done in that time.
    I got a Kiwiprop installed that was recovered by a diver in the marina.
    The rightful owner didn't need it as it had been replaced after falling off.
    They use a brass key for the shaft, which from looking at what was left it had corroded away and the prop fell off.
    Anyway the difference in performance upwind was significant, but the increase in speed downwind in light conditions is amazing!
    We won the next race series on line, phrf and club handicap!

We have been making other big gains in performance by tweaking the mast rake back. This improved our upwind pointing and speed, but means with the kite up she gets a bit tricky to helm.
    It's hard to describe what is going on, but dumping the backstay off to straighten the mast up makes my pulse slow to more normal levels.
    I was again out of the water to beef up the hull in front of the keel that had developed some cracks in the glue joins for the strip planking.
    After grinding back and digging out the cracks I added two layers of biaxial 400g cloth and a layer of 200g on top to make faring a bit easier.
    I added 1 layer of biaxial inside as well. I will also add a couple more floors in front of the current ones that hold the keel on to tie the keelson to the first stringer up either side.
    This work was in response to finishing a coastal race that got a bit boisterous coming back into tthe harbour with wind on the nose for a few hours.
    We had 30 knots lifting a nice chop off the shore, with a southerly swell from behind making some pretty big judderbars at times.
    We finished second on line and handicap, but had some bailing to do when we got back.

It appears the nice bonus from this glassing is that the old girl is a bit stiffer and can carry a bit more forestay tension.
    We raced in the first race of the winter series two weeks ago and won on handicap by 5 minutes!
    We will see this Sunday if my suspicions are correct.
    Last edited by Slacko; 07-01-2016 at 12:02 AM.

The reason I came on here was to mention the passing of the designer and builder of Haumuri.
    Jack Cropp was an Olympic medalist as the attached PDF link hopefully shows.
    I never met him unfortunately, but we had some correspondence regarding the keel replacement i did a few years ago.
    Having looked after something that he created for quite awhile now, I still feel some connection to him.

Thanks for putting up that link Patrick. I could see what I did wasn't working.

Photo's of work described above.

Paint and original glass stripped back. Left to dry for a week.

Glass on and peelply over the top.

The pile of leftovers etc. 3 of us were working at the same time.

While waiting for the timber to dry out I decided to attack the other end of the boat inside.

This was the sorry mess at the stern gland after cutting a hole in the cockpit floor.

I do like the New Zealand approach. Reminds me of how Australia used to be.

I had 2 boatbuilders scratching their chins in an expensive way while discussing the path forward.
    I was going to try to remove the fluffy wood without disturbing the shaft tube and replace it with a split replacement either side of the shaft.
    If it went bad and there was a copper tube in there that fell apart on disturbing it, I was informed that $5000 was optimistic to remove the shaft, bore it out from the outside and insert a fibreglass tube as it is done now.

Fortune favours the brave so I attacked it with a chisel and multitool.
    Within 5 minutes, the picture was looking rosy!

There as a stainless tube in there. The boatbuilders were again scratching their heads having not seen stainless used this way. It did mean that the likelihood of disturbing the shaft alignment was much less with the stainless supporting the gland.
    I attacked the timber with greater gusto!

The bronze bolts were drifted out and the face cleaned up.
    The stainless was in good shape even though it had been sitting in damp weetbix for awhile.
    I began the process of reconstruction.
    Last edited by Slacko; 07-08-2016 at 03:41 AM.

I hunted through the timberyards in Wellington and was struggling to find any hardwood that hadn't been thoroughly picked over already.
    I finally got a nice bit of Iroko that fitted the bill and shaped it as shown.

Most of the tube material was removed with a router, then my dremel tool with a sanding disk on it was great for the finishing work.
    The shaft tube was still pretty mucky, so offering the timber up marked the hole wher it needed to be ground out a bit more until I was happy that there was 2-3 mm clearance all round.

I then drilled the shaft seal holes and mounted the timber to that.
    The last major step was to slather the inside faces of the two sides with epoxy Glue and let it set with the timber just bolted to the shaft seal and some clamps holding it inline.
    Once the glue had gone off, I drilled from underneath for the Bronze drifts and bolted it up.
    No pictures of the finished job that got a nice coat of epoxy to keep it dry.
    No paint as it lives in a dark hole, so no UV to damage the epoxy.

The final part of this job was to make a cover for the large hole in the cockpit.

I used some foam tape to seal the lid down with the screws.
    I also added the plywood to the hatch lid in the photo that cracked even though it was designed for horizontal mounting, Grrr!
    It came out pretty well I thought and is actually non-skid, unlike the original finish.

As Mentioned, I also laid one layer of the 400 gsm biaxial cloth on the inside of the hull after removing all the paint.
    It was a bit patchwork with the floors and other structure, but it was about spreading the load between the individual planks.

This is the layup before the resin went in.
    The most fwd floor was an add on by me and the boatbuilder from the plans supplied for the new keel.
    We decided to put a bolt through the front of the keel flange.
    Then we decided to add the floor seeing as we had put a bolt in there. We kept it low as the headroom is getting low up there and didn't want to raise the sole if we could avoid it.
    I'm now going to add the "wings" to it as per the floor behind it so that it is tied to the first stringer that is just in shot.
    I'm also going to add a few more floors further fwd to tie the keelson and planking to the first stringer.

It's been awhile since I was last here.
    Over the summer I added the extra floors in front to stiffen the bow up some more.

As you can see at the bottom, I still haven't put the wings on the first floor that is bolted to the keel.
    While grovelling around in the bilge I also noticed that the floors in front of the mast bulkhead were glued but not bolted to the stringer like all the ones aft of the mast bulkhead. I rectified this with a 10 mm 316 lag screws about 150 long in each end.
    I also need to fibreglass in between the floors fwd, and get everything painted again.

I also added some tweakers for the non-overlapping jibs to tweak them inboard. This is the system I made up from the stuff I had.

It can't be adjusted when fully loaded, but allowed us to get the sails 2-3 degrees closer to the centreline upwind.

The outcome of those changes was that we pointed substantially higher when sailing to windward.
    I remember a few years ago reading someone's comment on this forum about how the performance of a new flash racing yacht was about the same as their own yacht except it sailed 5 degrees higher to windward. They commented that the extra cost wasn't worth the difference.
    I scoffed to myself at the time, but didn't reply.
    This photo shows the how much the difference means if you are racing (or trying to get off a lee shore for that matter).

Happy owner and racing crew!
    We won the season championship for our division on line, club and PHRF handicaps. We also got a bunch of other trophies!
    So that I guess is the payoff for all the work that has gone into Haumuri over the last 8 years.
    I just now need to spend some time over the winter fixing all the battle scars and deferred maintenance.

It's been while since I posted here, so I thought I'd show what I need to get finished for a race on the 9th Of Dec.
    I put some 2nd hand Harken 45 winches on the deck at the back of the cockpit to replace some smaller ones that were being used for the kite sheets only.
    The bigger winches were so that I could move the jib sheets and trimmers back out of the cockpit.
    Works great and I will be able to move the mainsheet traveller off the cabintop to the cockpit so the mainsheet is more manageable.
    Problem is that last time out some hidden rot raised it's head and the starboard side winch and base started lifting part of the deck off![IMG]

As you can see, I didn't even get the old pad off and repainted before the liftoff. Thankfully really, as cutting out deck that had just been painted would be a much harder pill to swallow. The new pad is teak, as varnishing is not high on my list of things to do as the old pad shows.

I looked at it for awhile before convincing myself there was only one way to tackle this.
    [IMG]

There had been a cleat mounted directly under where the new pad is sited that I took off that was the source of water ingress.

Half removed with the battery skillsaw and multitool doing most of the damage.
    There is a pretty scruffy scarf buried under there as well!

[IMG]20181123_102131 by Craig Slack, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]

A handily placed scarf in the rotten support structure looking out from under the deck.

I cut a grid with the skillsaw to ease the removal of decking to the second layer of ply that runs along the edge of the deck.
    I'm going to utilise the buttblock in view and back the winch with 250 x 250 piece of hardwood that runs past the cut on the forward edge of hole, creating another buttblock.

[IMG]

This last photo nicely shows the construction, with a laminated 1/2 ringframe across the boat that also supports the rudder tube, the top stringer, the diagonal ribbands and single skin of edge glued and nailed strips.

Interesting. Sometimes you just have to cut away.

Two comments;I think you might need to add some framing to take the winch loads into something a bit more robust than a single thickness of ply decking.Second that plastic inspection hatch surround looks like it needs to go as the cracks around the screw heads probably mean it has become brittle and not to be relied on.

Congratulations! Of course, now they'll change your rating...

I kinda took onboard your comment about winch loads. I increased the size of the backing block under the deck so that it was glued to the deck stringer and the timber on the side of the cockpit.
    It didn't rain today, so I got the new bit of cockpit framing scarfed in and the winch backing block glued in place.
    The screws will be removed once the glue has set.

[IMG]

Yesterday I got the piece of ply to fit in the hole, and had mixed some epoxy when it started to rain. I had plastic to cover the patch if I had got it in, but it was now wet. so no epoxy today. I used what I could of the epoxy to coat both sides of the patch panel and left it at that.
    The bare timber had been epoxy coated to protect it from rain the day before so it was not a problem getting it wet at any stage.

Today I had a spare hour on the way home from work, so glued and silicon bronze nailed the patch panel in. I still had some time left, so I laid a layer of glass across the top into the chamfered edges of the existing deck. How it looks at present.

[IMG]

Woo hoo, another ply deck repair thread!

I think you will be glad to have distributed the winch loads.Who knows how much more success lies ahead?

OK, no photo's in this post sorry.
    I've filled and sanded the deck repair, glued the winch base back in place and spread some more filler into some low spots on the deck. No drama there so far other than some showers that threatened play a few times. I left it this afternoon with some plastic taped over it.
    The work on that is now about an hour or so a day with the other 23 hours of epoxy going off.
    I launched into a bit of toerail wood rot as a side project. Well, that quickly escalated into toe rail and rubbing strip with about 3 metres of both removed.
    This afternoon while chasing the rot down the rail towards the stern, I discovered that I also had some rot in the diagonal planking.
    From what I saw it hadn't jumped from the rubbing strip to the hull, but was caused by water getting under the glass sheathing where it finished at the rubbing strip.
    It looks like 3 planks which are 25 x 25, but I will have to chase it down the side of the boat.
    It is completely dry so must have been festering away until I painted her 5 years ago and sealed the water ingress point.
    I was hoping to get it buttoned back up by Sunday to race, but this discovery means I can stand down until it comes out of the water.
    I'll tape it up to keep it dry and race on Sunday as planned, and hope that I can get a space in the yard before Xmas.
    The Christmas cruise may be a little shorter than planned!
    Not just another ply deck repair Phil!
    Photo's to come.

Your shaft log repair looks neat. Was there bolts running through the log either side of the shaft, or did you just epoxy and glass the whole thing down? Its a good reminder that access to all parts of the boat should maintained, left any longer that could have been far more work..

Hi, yes there were bolts either side of the shaft. Due to the limited room this is not something I would be keen to try.
    No progress today, work got in the way.