Following on from this thread:
She is based on the Cape Cod type catboat, but built in glued lapstrake to save weight in the hull structure. She will have a displacement of 1300kg (2860lb), LOD 5m (16'8"), max beam 2.62m (8'9"). She will have removable inside trim ballast, either sandbags or scrap iron cast in concrete, depending how much space there is in the bilges.
I started by drawing some lines on Hullform. I then started to refine the shape of the hull taking inspiration from the lines of Fenwick Williams's 18' catboat. Hullform is a decent program, easy to use for the most part, and can do basic hydrostatic analysis, which is what allows someone like me to have a stab at doing something like this, rather than having to learn and manually work out all the esoteric maths involved. The joy of computers - when they actually work that is!
This is what I have so far:
I then imported the DFX into Sketchup to rough out the backbone, deck and superstructure. This is what she looks like so far:
As you can see, I haven't got round to modelling the cockpit combing yet. It be a continuation cabin sides as per the classic catboat look. Here is a shark's eye view of the hull and keel:
That is about it for now...