Well, it must be spring, and I'm back to tinkering on the boat. This week's project will be to finally mount the cockpit coamings. They've been on and off a few times in the process of figuring out the fairing blocks, placing the bronze winch bases, etc.
So now I've got the mahogany coamings themselves in the shop, getting them ready for varnish. I've already sealed the underside of the coamings with epoxy, but am now thinking about actually bringing the epoxy up maybe 3/8" on the sides of the coaming. The idea being that this is an area that's hard to maintain, and any cracks in the varnish coating allows water into the wood down low, where it lifts the varnish above it. This is particularly a problem on the outboard side, where the coamings flare out, making it hard to do surface prep, and where the winch bases restrict access to almost half the length of the coaming. The idea is that by bringing the epoxy up the side of the coaming by a little bit, then lapping the varnish over it, that there'll be less chances of getting water under the varnish.
This may sound like an absurdly small point, but I like the idea of getting it right.
As an aside, on a previous boat I glued a plain oiled teak cap to the top of a varnished mahogany coaming, and this worked out very well. The inevitable step on/drag over/drop on top of damage to the varnish on the rounded top of the coaming was eliminated. At the same time I changed the cabin trunk's aft trimmers around so that the varnished trimmers ended flat and flush with the top of the cabin. Then a teak strip was installed on top of the trimmer, which covered the top of the trimmer and lapped over onto the top of the cabin. This REALLY reduced the varnish getting dinged up.