Thread: Chappiquiddick by Ted Brewer

Anyone know anything about this boat other than what's on the website? I really like this boat. I have talked to Mr. Brewer, he's very helpful, was wondering if anyone else had any input on this particular design.

Chappiquiddick

Best,
    R
    "And look at Elias Wonder. Yeah, take a gander at that buzzard. Forty years ago he was happy, generous, charitable, tall, dark and handsome. Then he took up the fly rod. Now consider him. Uglier than fresh road kill. Evil-eyed, cantankerous, sullen, mean. An anti-social misfit that causes a groundswell of spleen wherever he goes."
    -- Harry Middleton

Yup I've looked at it. So what way are you interested in building it as carvel planking on steam bent framing, or as a double chine hull for plywood planking. I LOVE CATBOATS
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Actually, in email with Mr. Brewer, he said the round bilge design was quite suited to strip or cold molded. I would probably go with strip, particularly after seeing Tom K's Corvus outcome.

Yes, catboats are so neat, aren't they? After much consideration, I've decided to skip the notion of building up to a larger boat and just go for the gusto. I ain't getting any younger, and I figured, why not? I want something to cruise with in coastal waters when I'm ready to embark on that journey, with roomy accomodations. On the other hand, I'm still undecided between a cat and Al Mason's Ostkust, which is just pure dee beautiful, and not bad for two in accomodations.

I want to start next year, so it'll be one or the other, and if it's a catboat, I haven't found one I like as much as the Chappie.

Best,
    R
    "And look at Elias Wonder. Yeah, take a gander at that buzzard. Forty years ago he was happy, generous, charitable, tall, dark and handsome. Then he took up the fly rod. Now consider him. Uglier than fresh road kill. Evil-eyed, cantankerous, sullen, mean. An anti-social misfit that causes a groundswell of spleen wherever he goes."
    -- Harry Middleton

Question

Roy Blaney, a boatbuilder in Southport, Maine completed a similar sized (if not the same design!) catboat just before his demise a few years ago. His wife might know who owns the boat, and help you contact them. Good luck.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Roger, I've emailed with Ted several times and purchased plans of his TERN. The study plans were almost the complete plans, less the crucial table of offsets and a few other details. They are very complete and detailed, but I've decided to build a smaller boat for now. The Chappie looks like a real standout, a big catboat, 12 foot beam, I bet it's cavernous inside. jimd
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Roger

Have you seen Fenwick Williams catboat designs ?

I've seen a few and like them very much. However, I don't think there is a good online site to browse through them. Perhaps someone on the form knows of a website to see them.

Pete

[ 11-22-2002, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Pete Dorr ]

Pete, I've seen some of Williams' designs, yes. I think there are one or two in the WB books...? But there isn't, as you say, a good website on the subject.

The Chappie seems great, though.

Best,
    R
    -- Harry Middleton

Nice looking boat Roger. Should be wonderful for week or longer jaunts about the coast down there and elsewhere.

I hope you will consider planking the boat carvel. It really isn't any harder than strip planking, though it involves some different skills, but the real plus is the pleasure of the craft. It is a much more aesthetically pleasing process, IMO.

Best,

Jack

[ 11-24-2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

Roger

Have seen some of your posts in the past and your inclination towards catboats, which I share, having ended up with a Fenwick Williams 18' project boat to rebuild. Each time I walk past the now stripped hull and the plank line out is apparent, the husky grace turns my head every time.

The Chappie is one big hunk of a boat and seems to carry its substance pretty well but I think I would want to eyeball one first. I don't know if the catboat style generally scales up that well much over 21/22'. Aside from the FW 21' and the Carter designs around this size not many get it right to my eye. Having said that I am relying on drawings and images as the real thing is rare in this part of the world. The older Crosby era designs are of course another dimension altogether, for example Dolphin recently featured in WBM which seems to carry is substantial size with graceful ease.

I am working from the original FW plans on my rebuild and while not very detailed they are adequate, no doubt assuming it would have been done by an experienced boatshop. For a 25' project plenty of detail would be helpful, but this forum should be pretty useful also.

Noting that the Chappie draws 3' with C/B retracted and 1' extra keel depth won't rule it out have you looked at the FW 24' Yawl 'Mary'. This is my dream project (plans from WB) and to me seems to combine bulk and looks in an exceptional way. I have seen a couple of examples and they look terrific, seeming much larger than the 24' would suggest. Great for coastal but also a true blue water cruiser. (One for sale at www.cppyacht.com )

Let us know what you go for
    Lion

That IS an impressive boat. TWELVE FOOT BEAM! That's an awful lotta boat! Of course you can get a trucking company to get it to the marina, but once you're there, you're there.

Personally, if I were thinking of a boat that couldn't be trailered I'd be thinking blue water...distant horisions...grass skirts....

There are a number of trailer-sailers that could be built in a fraction of the time and cost and might end up being sailed more often.

That said, if you DO build it, can I come along for a ride?

Regarding the possibility of succesfully scaling the catboat style, do a search for Nonsuch Ultra- they are fiberglass cat-style boats, made in sizes I think from 22 on up to 36 feet in length. They do have less beam compared to the above design, though; the 26' version has a 10'6" beam. At least you could get an idea of proportion, plus more boat pics never hurt anyone, right?

Matt Middleton

Jack,
    I dunno. I might. It depends on my mood when the time comes. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Lion,
    I like the Fenwick designs, too, and am quite familiar with the yawl you mentioned. Cool boat, as well.
    Gordy,
    Sure, there'll be plenty of room, come on! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Matt,
    I really do like Nonsuch, have looked at it many times.

It is a hard thing, a major thing, to decide. I like catboats best of all. There's just something about 'em that really pleases my eye more than any other design. I do like the spacious accomodations, too, I'll admit, though 12' on a 25' boat is, as Gordy said, an awful lot.

I looked at Brewer's 22' Cape Cod as well as the 20' Madam Tirza. The 22' Cape Cod, Mr. Brewer said, has no round-bilge lines available. The Chappie does. Both boats have a 10' beam.

Some of you may remember a year ago we had a multi-page discussion on catboat plans, and I ended up settling on a smaller daysailer, as yet unbuilt. The reason for the change of heart is that, back then, I wasn't interested at all in accomodations. Today, I am. There's some dreams floating around in my head, and I'm not sure if they spring from the cat or the cat has sprung from the dreams, but nevertheless, some extended coastal cruising is on my mind at some point.

Now, all that having been said, my other favorites below the cats are a bit more manageable. Al Mason's Ostkust is at the top of the list. What a beauty.

Anyway, thanks for all your input!

R
    -- Harry Middleton

Roger,
    there is a 25' cedar catboat hull advertised on the Catboat web site
    www.catboats.org
    that has spars, sail, and diesel engine(not installed) for $ 2500 this might be a a real leap forward in your quest to have a BIG catboat !!

"keep America Beautiful, build a wooden catboat"

[ 12-07-2002, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Dave Thibodeau ]

Thanks, Dave, I'll go take a look-see, but I probably am inclined to build her myself.
    -- Harry Middleton

I know I sound like a sailsman for Graham, but if I had the room I'd be building the PRINCESS. I like it for all the reasons I like my CS17. The extra room would be awfully nice.

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/default.htm