Thread: Rowing the ICW, Miami to NYC

Hybrid View

Default Rowing the ICW, Miami to NYC

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

Default Re: Rowing the ICW, Miami to NYC

We'll have to look for him around early May Of course May is a foggy month off New York, so we might not see him.

good luck, kiddo!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I don't think it's the right way to learn to row. Some of the sounds on the ICW get very rough, and the stints in the Atlantic are no place for a novice. Though by the time he gets there he'll have plenty of hours.

Thats quite a undertaking for a beginner rowing 18 hrs. per day. He is young and will get strong fast a reckon. It bothers me to see the total lack of consideration for him by the big plastic cruisers flying by throwing the big wakes, but it will get him ready for the bigger sounds and open water. The flotation rigger around the sheer might prove valuable.

From the article: "I'm planning on rowing 14,000 miles up the East Coast of America," said Lewis Colam.

I guess he is taking the fractal coastline route.

When rowing you can cut corners in distance by not having to stay in marked channels, but you lose when the tide and wind drags you back and forth from a straight course.

18 hours a day.......my paddling trips in the sea kayak are 6 hours/20 miles....sometimes more or less if tide and wind are fair or foul. And with that, I'm bushed at the end of the trip.........But he does have his lifejacket and a thousand dollars!

Mr Colam is about to learn this country is a lot bigger then he thinks......and his expectations need to be tempered a bit more realistically. If not, the conditions or situations will temper it for him. I do wish him nothing but the best with a successful conclusion to his voyage.

Take Care,
    Mike

A friend paddled from Detroit to Miami a couple of years ago in a kayak, down the ICW. Took about two months. Still, it was a lot shorter than 14,000 miles.

ICW ...... a piece of cake compared to this old man (I met him twice)

http://www.krugercanoes.com/pr02.htm

I just finished reading Nathaniel Stone's book, "On the Water". In 1999 he rowed from NYC around the east coast, essentially the Great Loop, and back to NY. Then went up the coast of New England to the Canadian boarder. 6000+ miles. Good read.