Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of boat would you build for Colorado lakes???

Default Re: What type of boat would you build for Colorado lakes???

Thank you most sincerely Tom. I'd have thought that the main advantage of no boom is that if it isn't there it can't hit you upside da haid So can we see some pictures of your new boat? Hey Scott I'm learning as much as you here mate- better fill Toms glass again JayInOz

I am assuming I was correct in the opening statement of this thread with the qualities on the dory designs since nobody even commented on them. Dory with a Lug rig??? Any comments would be appreciated. They seem dead bang simple but like I said I don't really want to go to the trouble of building my own worse nightmare either.
    Thanks everyone,
    Scott

There are a bunch of ex-dory folks here who have in large part moved on to Oughtred douuble-enders. Many of us have built dories from John Gardner's books, so there's lots of collected wisdom on the type.

There's no reason the larger Swampscott dories, especially the Beachcomber, couldn't be rigged as a lug yawl. However, for the same length of boat you'll likely give up significant interior volume in a dory compared to an Oughtred double-ender. The skills, time, and materials required to build a large Swampscott are not significantly different than those needed to build a ply-lap double-ender.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    So can we see some pictures of your new boat? Hey Scott I'm learning as much as you here mate- better fill Toms glass again JayInOz
    Learn what you can from me, but remember I'm no expert--been sailing small boats for about seven years, with two years of lugsails. Lots of folks here know more than I do. But you can see a few pictures of my new boat in progress on this thread:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ild&highlight=

The build is on hold until higher temps; interior furniture is cut out and mostly fitted but not installed.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Count me in as one of those ex-dory types. I'm also an ex-sharpie guy. I would never again be satisfied to settle for either of those now that I understand my needs better.

Quote Originally Posted by soudsa View Post
    I am assuming I was correct in the opening statement of this thread with the qualities on the dory designs since nobody even commented on them. Dory with a Lug rig??? Any comments would be appreciated. They seem dead bang simple but like I said I don't really want to go to the trouble of building my own worse nightmare either.
    I don't know dories specifically, but my present boat is a 14' Phil Bolger sharpie--basically a pointy box that was dead cheap and simple to build. While it's nowhere near as capable as the Oughtred boats or others mentioned here, it'd be fine for lake sailing in Colorado. I've done long trips (up to three weeks) in mine on the Texas coast and the Great Lakes. It's no-one's champ, but no one's worst nightmare either.

So don't think you need to go super complicated or even lapstrake or round-bottomed on your first build! You can do a lot in a simple hull. It's not a bad way to begin. I've sailed mine four years now, and am planning a fairly long trip in it again this summer down the Mississippi. I do agree, though, that most who stick with small boats eventually move beyond the flat-bottom type. But really, there's no reason you'd need to on your first boat. And the longer you sail a cheap crude boat, the more you'll appreciate the REAL boat when you finally build it. (That's what I'm hoping, anyway).

Speaking of dead cheap and simple, do you know this website?

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/

Lots of plans and inexpensive building supplies. Jim Michalak's boats are cheap and simple; his Mixer and Mayfly are as good as these kind of simple box boats get. Lots of Welsford plans, too.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

See... I start thinking of building a simple banks style dory with a sail rig, thinking start easy, get some opinions, now thanks to everyone here I'm basically intoxicated with all of these different designs being thrown out. I have to say in all honesty however the double enders i.e. caledonia, ness, hell even a design I saw for a whaler type boat, they are very easy to get caught up in just admiring the lines. My wife is already weighing in now (you all got me into trouble), "what happened to the ones you were showing me before, they looked easier, and CHEAPER" it's amazing how she knows far less than me about any of this stuff but she can do a very quick and accurate appraisel in materials cost. I guess I should be greatful, if I didn't have her I would be delinquent on everything. Ok well now I am going to pursue some good reading materials on different construction methods etc... then I think make up my mind on the boat type. I must say however I got exactly what I asked for here. Thanks again to all who replied and Tom I may try and meet you and deffinitely see your boat when I head to Sears Trostel to shop. I already stopped by Strait Lumber about 1 hour ago. The okume is I think the prettiest ply I have ever seen. It isn't cheap however...1/2" sheet 120.00 yousa. It makes me chicken about building anything but a banks dory the first time. My wife will never see a marine ply receipt I promise you that. Anyways thanks again to all for any information. I am going to do some reading and make up my mind. I will be in and out of here constatly bouncing thoughts off of you guys.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by soudsa View Post
    The okume is I think the prettiest ply I have ever seen. It isn't cheap however...1/2" sheet 120.00 yousa. It makes me chicken about building anything but a banks dory the first time.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    For the love of pete, please don't even think about a banks dory as a sailing boat. You will be totally disappointed. The Swampscott dory I mentioned above and the banks dory are completely different animals.

Your library should have a copy of John Gardner's The Dory Book. Essential reading if you're thinking about a dory build.

Terry

Despite what some people may say, good plywood is not wasted money! I've used cheap plywood and I've used good plywood and the difference in relation to the total cost of the project is fairly minimal percentage wise
    George

You couldn't hardly make a worse choice for a sailboat to learn on than a Banks Dory. They suck for experienced sailors too. Something like a GLD would be fine for a first boat if you were to stick to rowing, but you can do vastly better if your goal is to learn how to enjoy sailing.

ok ok ok the dory is out of my viewfinder...keep in mind like I said 1st time builder so the simplicity is what I appreciated right away. That is why I joined this forum however is to get feedback from those that know. So as I have said I do love the ness yawl and the caledonia, but I am also trying to stay simple again 1st time build and I have know intension of learning curve mistakes with multiple sheets of 120.00 plywood. I have been sort of looking at a 15' sailing skiff at www.cmdboats.com it looks very much doable to me and the goat island 15 as well. After a competent and complete first build I may go to a double ender or something. I am just trying to stay comfortable thats all. I know some of you don't seem to like skiffs or sharpie types any more than dory designs, but with what I am after what about these mentioned designs??? Any feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Scott