Obama and Ms Fluke another perspective....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RodB
    Banned
    • Apr 2003

Obama and Ms Fluke another perspective....

President Obama and Sandra Fluke
    By Bill O'Reilly
    Stay with me on this one, it's complicated, but very important.
    Last Friday, we invited 30-year-old Sandra Fluke to appear on "The Factor." The Georgetown law student has now become the poster woman in the debate over birth control coverage mandated by the federal government. Unfortunately Ms. Fluke would not appear on "The Factor." Instead she has chosen friendly venues where she will not be challenged.
    Now, I did not, did not want to talk to Sandra Fluke about contraception. That's a personal issue and as I said on Friday, she is free to do whatever she wants in that area. It's none of my business. By the way, that memo is posted on BillO'Reilly.com.
    I did want to ask the young woman about her sense of entitlement. Why should anyone have to pay increased health insurance premiums so that she and others can get the pill, free?
    As we all know health insurance companies pass any and all costs on to the consumer. Since President Obama took office, my health insurance premiums have risen about 30 percent. And once ObamaCare kicks in, they will go even higher. So that's what I want to talk to Sandra Fluke about, just in case she changes her mind.
    Now the big picture. When the Obama administration decided to order the Catholic Church to cover birth control and the morning after pill, they quickly got into trouble. The President was warned not to do that by Vice President Biden but Health Secretary Kathleen Sebelius won the debate and the President went up against the church.
    Soon after he had to retreat because the government simply cannot order religious organizations to do anything that runs counter to their belief systems. That's flat out unconstitutional.
    So sensing danger, the Obama Administration quickly pivoted and attempted to make the whole situation about women's health. Enter Sandra Fluke, a contraception activist. The Democrats tried to force a House Congressional Committee to hear her testimony. But the committee saying she was not qualified to speak on church-state issues which they were talking about, turned her down. That's when Ms. Fluke went public and into the firestorm.
    So presto, what was a big loser, President Obama intruding on the Catholic Church became a potential winner, President Obama protecting the rights of women. In reality, the whole contraception situation is bogus. Under Title 10 of the Public Health Service Act; 75 percent of all the counties in the U.S.A. provide free birth control to women who want it; 75 percent. And the rest of the counties are so rural, nobody lives there.
    President Obama well understands that he needs American women to support him next November; 2008 he beat John McCain 56 percent to 43 among women. Thus, Sandra Fluke is now a major part of the Obama re-election campaign. That's what this is all about.
    And that's "The Memo."
    RodB
  • ron ll
    Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
    • Oct 2005

Re: Obama and Ms Fluke another perspective....

A lot wrong with that but lets start with this. O'Reilly says,
    "... because the government simply cannot order religious organizations to do anything that runs counter to their belief systems. That's flat out unconstitutional."

You might want to ask Warren Jeffs about that.

Comment

• Keith Wilson
      Trying to be reasonable
      • Oct 1999

Lordy, what a piece of - um - work. This has so many errors in it, it's almost funny. It's one of the most incompetent opinion pieces I've seen in years, although I admit I don't read Mr. O'Reilly regularly. A few examples:

The claim that covering birth control raises insurance premiums - ii doesn't; it saves money. Babies are expensive. That's why the insurance companies, not known for giving anything away, were willing to cover it on their own nickel.

The claim that the ACA is the cause of the increase in his premiums. There's no evidence for this at all. US health care costs have been going up at about twice the rate of the rest of the world for 30 years. This is a real problem, but it's not the result of recent legislation. If anything, the reforms have slowed the rate of increase a little.

"The government simply cannot order religious organizations to do anything that runs counter to their belief systems." First, this is false. Why do Mormons no longer practice polygamy? Second, churches are already exempt. Third, this is not about churches, it's about mostly secular organizations like hospitals and universities connected with the Catholic church.

The claim that this is somehow a stratagem by the administration. This gets it entirely backwards. The Catholic Bishops raised the issue, the usual RW blowhards joined in, and the Republicans tried their damnedest to expand the issue from the organizations connected to the Catholic church to a general attempt to restrict access to birth control. Obama did not introduce the Blunt Amendment. After Limbaugh took it completely over the top, the issue then blew up in their face. It's not the fault of the administration that the Republican position is extremely unpopular with the American people.

Covering birth control saves money, reduces unwanted pregnancy, and reduces the number of abortions. Why should it not be covered by insurance?
      Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-06-2012, 09:02 PM.
      "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
      for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• skuthorp
        • Jan 2002

Originally posted by ron ll
        A lot wrong with that but lets start with this. O'Reilly says,
        "... because the government simply cannot order religious organizations to do anything that runs counter to their belief systems. That's flat out unconstitutional."

You might want to ask Warren Jeffs about that.
        If it's against the law it's against the law. Be careful what you wish for.

Comment

• wardd
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Glen Longino
          Another perspective?
          Looks much the same as Rush's perspective, Rod... misinformed, insensitive, and self-serving, with no appeal to anybody other than right wing nutcases.

are you calling rod a rwnc?

now apologize for your choice of words

Comment

• Gerarddm
            #RESIST
            • Feb 2010

The kindest yet most dismissive thing you could say about this O'Reilly screed is from Stephen Maturin: "sure, it's a point of view".
            Gerard>
            Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Meli
              Banned
              • Nov 2010

By Bill O'Reilly
              Last Friday, we invited 30-year-old Sandra Fluke to appear on "The Factor." The Georgetown law student has now become the poster woman in the debate over birth control coverage mandated by the federal government. Unfortunately Ms. Fluke would not appear on "The Factor." Instead she has chosen friendly venues where she will not be challenged.

They invited her to be challenged???? About what??

Now, I did not, did not want to talk to Sandra Fluke about contraception. That's a personal issue and as I said on Friday, she is free to do whatever she wants in that area. It's none of my business. By the way, that memo is posted on BillO'Reilly.com.
              I did want to ask the young woman about her sense of entitlement. Why should anyone have to pay increased health insurance premiums so that she and others can get the pill, free? HUH?
              As we all know health insurance companies pass any and all costs on to the consumer. Since President Obama took office, my health insurance premiums have risen about 30 percent. And once ObamaCare kicks in, they will go even higher. So that's what I want to talk to Sandra Fluke about, just in case she changes her mind.
              Now the big picture. When the Obama administration decided to order the Catholic Church to cover birth control and the morning after pill, they quickly got into trouble. The President was warned not to do that by Vice President Biden but Health Secretary Kathleen Sebelius won the debate and the President went up against the church.
              Soon after he had to retreat because the government simply cannot order religious organizations to do anything that runs counter to their belief systems. That's flat out unconstitutional.
              So sensing danger, the Obama Administration quickly pivoted and attempted to make the whole situation about women's health. Enter Sandra Fluke, a contraception activist. The Democrats tried to force a House Congressional Committee to hear her testimony. But the committee saying she was not qualified to speak on church-state issues which they were talking about, turned her down. That's when Ms. Fluke went public and into the firestorm.
              So presto, what was a big loser, President Obama intruding on the Catholic Church became a potential winner, President Obama protecting the rights of women. In reality, the whole contraception situation is bogus. Under Title 10 of the Public Health Service Act; 75 percent of all the counties in the U.S.A. provide free birth control to women who want it; 75 percent. And the rest of the counties are so rural, nobody lives there.
              President Obama well understands that he needs American women to support him next November; 2008 he beat John McCain 56 percent to 43 among women. Thus, Sandra Fluke is now a major part of the Obama re-election campaign. That's what this is all about.
              And that's "The Memo."

I'm a little confused, he says he didn't want to discuss contaception with her, yet mentions birth control, contraception or the pill at least 8 times in the article. So why did he want to interview her???

What a cheap crock, if anyone swallows this as him being denied an innocent interview by some coward, then they are too stupid to pull a one armed bandit let alone a voting machine or heaven help them, fill in a ballot paper.

So much fo apologising. And she dont look 30 to me.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                • Apr 1999

O'Reilly actually is smart enough to know that his pandering factual misrepresentations are deliberate falsehoods. It's a shame to see a bright and interesting person debase himself this way. I will not presume to judge those who believe him quite so harshly as they may infact be unaware of the facts, even after reading some of the lucid posts above, and there is the possibility that their continuing to spout falsehoods about this matter are not deliberate.

To make a false statement is simply error. To knowinging make a false statement is how one promotes an error to a lie.

Comment

• wardd
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Ian McColgin
                  O'Reilly actually is smart enough to know that his pandering factual misrepresentations are deliberate falsehoods. It's a shame to see a bright and interesting person debase himself this way. I will not presume to judge those who believe him quite so harshly as they may infact be unaware of the facts, even after reading some of the lucid posts above, and there is the possibility that their continuing to spout falsehoods about this matter are not deliberate.

To make a false statement is simply error. To knowinging make a false statement is how one promotes an error to a lie.
                  he's not debasing himself as much as his viewers

as for his viewers, how many times do they need to be lied before they stop believing him?

and i doubt the man could do anything else that pays so well

Comment

• David G
                    • Dec 2003

Well... it IS a perspective. Unfortunately, it's a perspective twisted by the funhouse mirrors of deliberate misrepresentations of facts.

Rod B - you would be better served to figure out who tends to tell you the truth and who tends to tell you lies... and quit trusting the latter. They do not have your best interests in mind (nor mine).
                    David G
                    Harbor Woodworks
                    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• RichKrough
                      • Dec 2002

Even if O Reilly was correct(which he isn't). It only means the Democrat's dog and pony show was better than the GOP's dog and pony show.

Comment

• Concordia 33
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Keith Wilson
                        The claim that covering birth control raises insurance premiums - ii doesn't; it saves money. Babies are expensive. That's why the insurance companies, not known for giving anything away, were willing to cover it on their own nickel.

Covering birth control saves money, reduces unwanted pregnancy, and reduces the number of abortions. Why should it not be covered by insurance?

I do not believe that this issue has been settled. Insurers are, in the end businesses, and if they can save money by offering birth control, hypertension screening, diabetes screening or nutritional counseling, they will do it or raise the premiums of the subscribers who ban this from the policy. They will do this in the absence of a federal mandate because it is good business to do so. Yet many do not.

I checked the data as to the cost savings used to justify this argument and discovered that it is actually conflicting......

I tried pasting all the pro and con studies but there is so much that it would not fit here without editing and I wanted to be fair to both sides of this argument, so instead, click the link if you are interested in all the pros and cons.

Is the Obama administration correct when it claims its contraception mandate will be “cost neutral” for insurance companies? Or are the critics right when they say Catholic institutions will pay a hidden cost in the form of higher premiums when their insurers are required to give "free" contraceptives ...
                        Last edited by Concordia 33; 03-07-2012, 11:58 AM.
                        * _______________________________________ )

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                          • Apr 1999

Good site, Concordia 33. Thank you.

Comment

• Tylerdurden
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2006

Comment

• bobbys
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Meli
                              By Bill O'Reilly

They invited her to be challenged???? About what??

I did want to ask the young woman about her sense of entitlement. Why should anyone have to pay increased health insurance premiums so that she and others can get the pill, free? HUH?
                              And that's "The Memo."

I'm a little confused, he says he didn't want to discuss contaception with her, yet mentions birth control, contraception or the pill at least 8 times in the article. So why did he want to interview her???

What a cheap crock, if anyone swallows this as him being denied an innocent interview by some coward, then they are too stupid to pull a one armed bandit let alone a voting machine or heaven help them, fill in a ballot paper.

So much fo apologising. And she dont look 30 to me.

I give this post a 7 out of 10 for color effects!

Comment

Working...