X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boater14
    Banned
    • Sep 2011

Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

Thats just stupid. Can you envision Matthews calling someone a slut, prostitute or playing Barack the magic negro on his show?

Comment

• David G
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Paul Pless
      Just from what I've read here on the forum, I'd say its mostly enraged pinko wannabes. . .

I can't think of a single conservative that I respect that has posted a thread or link that originated with praise for Limbaugh.
      Originally posted by BrianW
      Oh. As to the original question, which was actually less a question, and more a lead in to some hind sight benefited and slightly inaccurate boasting...

The only people I know who listen to Rush, are liberals.
      OK - I've heard this enough times now that I have to call bs. Most of the conservatives here seem to regard me as a liberal. I have a wide variety of liberal and conservative friends. The only time I've listened to Rush with any regularity was when I used to carpool with a conservative buddy. When he drove - it was on. In fact - just anecdotally - I have to say that the only people I've ever seen listen to Rush regularly are conservatives. I don't know a liberal who does.
      David G
      Harbor Woodworks
      https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Chip-skiff
        Wolves Without Borders
        • Jan 2008

I'll not engage in a point-by-point pissing match. Sorry, but it's a waste of time, and tedious as well.

I did read all your comments, and I honestly don't care whether you agree with me or not. Why are you driven to force some sort of agreement on my part? What's next, fire and the sword?

Comment

• ILikeRust
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Boater14
          Thats just stupid. Can you envision Matthews calling someone a slut, prostitute or playing Barack the magic negro on his show?
          1. See the video clip directly above, in which Ed Schultz, liberal commentator on MSNBC did exactly that - called right-wing commentator Laura Ingraham a slut - twice. As for offensively misgynistic statements made by Keith Olbermann and - yes - Chris Mathews, read this. See, this is what's known as "an inconvenient truth" - i.e., that your vaunted left-wing commentators are just as adept as their right-wing counterparts at uttering stupid and offensive things in the heat of their polemics.

2. The term "magic negro" as applied to Barack Obama, did not originate with Rush Limbaugh. He was making fun of the term, which originated in the notoriously right-wing editorial page of the L.A. Times (this is sarcasm, BTW - the L.A. Times is about as right wing as the NY Times). See here.
          - Bill T.
          - Ashland, VA

Motorcycles or sailboat; either way I'll be camping.

Comment

• ILikeRust
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Chip-skiff
            I'll not engage in a point-by-point pissing match. Sorry, but it's a waste of time, and tedious as well.

I did read all your comments, and I honestly don't care whether you agree with me or not. Why are you driven to force some sort of agreement on my part? What's next, fire and the sword?
            Hey, you're free to disagree, that's fine. I'm not going to call you stupid or ignorant just because you hold opinions different than mine. I'm just highlighting the disingenuousness and hypocrisy that is so rank here. A lot of people are arguing that the conservatives are all misogynists and racists and stupid and ignorant and hateful, blah, blah, blah - and seemingly implying - and in one case, outright stating - that their left-wing counterparts never would stoop to such things.

And yet the objective facts clearly indicate otherwise.
            - Bill T.
            - Ashland, VA

Comment

• LeeG
              • May 2002

Originally posted by ILikeRust
              Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

OK, thanks for the clarification.
              Ann Coulter is not a synonym for conservative women.

Comment

• BrianW
                not your average member
                • Nov 2002

Oh. As to the original question, which was actually less a question, and more a lead in to some hind sight benefited and slightly inaccurate boasting...

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                  • May 2002

Originally posted by BrianW

and generally bilge rat liberals at that... it's been pointed out many times
                  The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
                  Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• Concordia 33
                    • Aug 2007

Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

To which LeeG says.........

Originally posted by LeeG
                    That is exactly the kind of offensive language that I am referring to - how is that ever OK?
                    * _______________________________________ )

Comment

• Dan McCosh
                      • Mar 2001

You might look up libel per se and you would understand the issue with Limbaugh's remarks, compared to what amounts to insulting language directed towards a public figure.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by LeeG
                        You're the first to mention Ann Coulter anywhere on this thread, so I don't get your point. Although I get a sense it was meant to be some kind of snark.
                        - Bill T.
                        - Ashland, VA

Comment

• ILikeRust
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dan McCosh
                          You might look up libel per se and you would understand the issue with Limbaugh's remarks, compared to what amounts to insulting language directed towards a public figure.
                          Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with what libel and slander mean - we covered them in first-year torts class. Query whether putting yourself out there as an active advocate on a major public policy issue and testifying before Congress makes you a "public figure."

Also, this is a dodge from the original point. The fact that someone might actually be a "public figure" - e.g., let's say Laura Ingraham is - does that make it perfectly acceptable to call her a "slut"? Really? That's the distinction? Ed Schultz called her that evidently merely because she's a right-winger.

The cognitive dissonance here is pretty impressive. There's a huge double standard staring everyone directly in the face, and several here are pedaling like mad to rationalize it away.
                          - Bill T.
                          - Ashland, VA

Comment

• Flying Orca
                            Ruth, feck, and gorm
                            • Jan 2007

I would like to go on record as saying that it is completely unacceptable and utterly deplorable to attack right-wing women for their looks, their ages, their sexuality, or anything else that is unrelated to the job they do or aspire to.

It's also unnecessary, given the wealth of legitimate criticism they make available through their own words, their ideas (ownership questionable), and their intelligence or lack thereof.

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• Concordia 33
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Dan McCosh
                              Actually given her public testimony before a Democratic House Committee on TV, she would likely be classified as a public figure and not subject to the libel issue. She has also been on the View and other public arenas. She could certainly sue Rush but would not likely get much traction in court.

More importantly, how is either any less or more civil?

Comment

• Concordia 33
                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Flying Orca
                                I would like to go on record as saying that it is completely unacceptable and utterly deplorable to attack right-wing women for their looks, their ages, their sexuality, or anything else that is unrelated to the job they do or aspire to.

It's also unnecessary, given the wealth of legitimate criticism they make available through their own words, their ideas (ownership questionable), and their intelligence or lack thereof.

So it sounds like you are in the group that is outraged at the things Rush said while full of moral confidence that your attacks on conservative women "and their intelligence or lack thereof" are civil and justified?

Comment

Working...