Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

OK, thanks for the clarification.
    Ann Coulter is not a synonym for conservative women.

Oh. As to the original question, which was actually less a question, and more a lead in to some hind sight benefited and slightly inaccurate boasting...

The only people I know who listen to Rush, are liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Oh. As to the original question, which was actually less a question, and more a lead in to some hind sight benefited and slightly inaccurate boasting...

and generally bilge rat liberals at that... it's been pointed out many times
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

To which LeeG says.........

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    That is exactly the kind of offensive language that I am referring to - how is that ever OK?
    * _______________________________________ )

You might look up libel per se and you would understand the issue with Limbaugh's remarks, compared to what amounts to insulting language directed towards a public figure.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    You're the first to mention Ann Coulter anywhere on this thread, so I don't get your point. Although I get a sense it was meant to be some kind of snark.
    - Bill T.

"How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

"Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    You might look up libel per se and you would understand the issue with Limbaugh's remarks, compared to what amounts to insulting language directed towards a public figure.
    Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with what libel and slander mean - we covered them in first-year torts class. Query whether putting yourself out there as an active advocate on a major public policy issue and testifying before Congress makes you a "public figure."

Also, this is a dodge from the original point. The fact that someone might actually be a "public figure" - e.g., let's say Laura Ingraham is - does that make it perfectly acceptable to call her a "slut"? Really? That's the distinction? Ed Schultz called her that evidently merely because she's a right-winger.

The cognitive dissonance here is pretty impressive. There's a huge double standard staring everyone directly in the face, and several here are pedaling like mad to rationalize it away.
    - Bill T.

I would like to go on record as saying that it is completely unacceptable and utterly deplorable to attack right-wing women for their looks, their ages, their sexuality, or anything else that is unrelated to the job they do or aspire to.

It's also unnecessary, given the wealth of legitimate criticism they make available through their own words, their ideas (ownership questionable), and their intelligence or lack thereof.

What are you doing about it?

Actually given her public testimony before a Democratic House Committee on TV, she would likely be classified as a public figure and not subject to the libel issue. She has also been on the View and other public arenas. She could certainly sue Rush but would not likely get much traction in court.

More importantly, how is either any less or more civil?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    I would like to go on record as saying that it is completely unacceptable and utterly deplorable to attack right-wing women for their looks, their ages, their sexuality, or anything else that is unrelated to the job they do or aspire to.

It's also unnecessary, given the wealth of legitimate criticism they make available through their own words, their ideas (ownership questionable), and their intelligence or lack thereof.

So it sounds like you are in the group that is outraged at the things Rush said while full of moral confidence that your attacks on conservative women "and their intelligence or lack thereof" are civil and justified?

That's pretty funny. The entire GOP is afraid of ol Rushbo. Why do you think they are all afraid to comment on his latest antics. I have never, ever heard of a liberal listening to him other than I'm sure the staffs of Liberal blogs, web sites etc. listening for the latest bit of trash talk.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

so, in the end who is on the right side of this issue?

I dare ol Rushbo to bad mouth these ladies. They will hunt him down and kick his ass. They just may be planning this anyhow.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...c=nl_headlines
    Tom

The more I read here in The Bilge, the more convinced I become that this country is, indeed, hopelessly divided. It certainly seems that the far left and the far right just love to spend a lot of time and energy demonizing, belittling, vilifying and denigrating "the other side" - i.e., anyone who has the incredible audacity to not fully agree with their own (clearly superior) beliefs.

From where I sit, neither side holds the moral high ground; neither side has corned the market on intelligent, reasoned, civil discourse or a demonstrated ability to legitimate leadership quality.
    - Bill T.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I do not think this type of language (on the air or off) should be considered acceptable by anyone whether one classifies a person, which seems to be the criteria here, as a public person or not, a lib or a conservative, a catholic, or a baptist. It says more about the speaker than it does about the person addressed.One's vocabulary has to be pretty limited to resort to using such words.
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 03-06-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Yeah, because Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi are such freakin' genuises, and only pearls of timeless wisdom spill out of their cakeholes.

Yup, those conservative wimmin folk sure are stupid! So of course, they're fair targets to be bashed with impunity. But jus' let one o' them stupid, ignant conservative a-holes so much as utter a critical syllable about a left-winger, and we'll do our damndest to destroy his utter existence!

I find plenty to legitimately criticize on both sides of the aisle. But y'all can keep shaking yer pom-poms for TEAM RED! or TEAM BLUE! as you see fit, regardless of how disingenuous, hypocritical and disgusting they both are.
    - Bill T.

My hope is that Limbaugh's sponsors ditch him, that his show gets canned, and he goes broke and ends up crawling in a gutter in Michigan, in January. As the Mormon apostle, J. Golden Kimball, once said:

I shall pray for my enemies. I shall pray that they be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia 33 View Post
    So it sounds like you are in the group that is outraged at the things Rush said while full of moral confidence that your attacks on conservative women "and their intelligence or lack thereof" are civil and justified?
    I think attacks on anyone's lack of intelligence, as long as they don't have an intellectual disability or some other cognitive impairment, are justified.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Attack is one thing, using the words some use is something else

Would we even be talking about all this if the house GOP hadn't declared their war on women's health?
    Tom

Yeah, because Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi are such freakin' genuises, and only pearls of timeless wisdom spill out of their cakeholes.

Yup, those conservative wimmin folk sure are stupid! So of course, they're fair targets to be bashed with impunity. But jus' let one o' them stupid, ignant conservative a-holes so much as utter a critical syllable about a left-winger, and we'll do our damndest to destroy his utter existence!

I find plenty to legitimately criticize on both sides of the aisle. But y'all can keep shaking yer pom-poms for TEAM RED! or TEAM BLUE! as you see fit, regardless of how disingenuous, hypocritical and disgusting they both are.
    I do not support these words. I don't like their (Boxer, Feinstien, Pelosi) politics, but I do not support calling any of them stupid any more than I would Bachman, Palin or any of the other women that the left like to trash. This is exactly my objection with the the bilge that this type of language is permissible from either side of the political fence.

I wouldn't be able to pick any of them out of a lineup, and would have to check Wikipedia to know who they are. It's safe to say that if they have said anything as brain-meltingly stupid as some of the things I've heard from Michelle Bachmann or Sarah Palin, it hasn't come to my attention... and if it did, I would treat it accordingly.

Yup, those conservative wimmin folk sure are stupid!
    Well, some of them are, and that makes them fair game for criticism on those particular grounds. Others aren't, and therefore aren't fair game for criticism on those particular grounds. In politics, stupid usually is as stupid says, to misquote that Gump fellow.

But jus' let one o' them stupid, ignant conservative a-holes so much as utter a critical syllable about a left-winger, and we'll do our damndest to destroy his utter existence!
    Valid criticism on valid grounds is not a problem. We both know that this Rush guy was completely out of line. So, by the way, were the guys discussed in the article you linked, which I did take the time to check out... hence the first part of my post.

I find plenty to legitimately criticize on both sides of the aisle.
    You and me both. However, I only see one side that champions anti-scientific ignorance, and I think that's the most dangerous thing in politics; I will ridicule and fight it to my dying breath.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    Would we even be talking about all this if the house GOP hadn't declared their war on women's health?
    Is it the GOP war on women's health, or is it the Democrats War on religion and the first amendment? There are two sides to this argument but you are trying to imply that one (and only one) side is provoking this, and I think both sides have dirtied their hands on this issue solely for political gains with no consideration for religious freedom or women's reproductive rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Simply because you can cite anecdotally, an 'opposite incident', does not imply a double standard.
    It is not the mere existence of "opposite incidents" that I offer as evidence of the double-standard; it is the lack of widespread outrage over it. The left evidently has no problem elevating Bill Maher, Chris Mathews, et al. on a pedestal and pretending they are examples of quality, objective journalism, and when they utter statements about right-wingers that are just as stupid and offensive, there is a convenient silence or glossing-over of it. No wailing and moaning. But let a right-winger say anything at all unflattering about someone on the left, and it's incontrovertible proof of how mean, bigoted and racist all conservatives are.

As it happens, I have never seen any posting regarding that incident... but it doesn't mean that a 'double standard' exists
    Well yeah, it kinda does. Because you DID and DO see people posting all kinds of manufactured outrage over just about anything that spews out of Rush Limbaugh's mouth or Glenn Beck's, or whatever. But you don't see or hear too much about the equally ugly things that come out of the mouths of left-wing pundits, because it apparently isn't that big of a deal to those on the left.

the only truly disingenuous people are the ones who feel a need to say, 'But Mom, he did it first', as a juvenile attempt to deflect the issue.
    I don't see any deflection going on here. Limbaugh was stupid for saying what he did. What I'm highlighting is the lack of credibilty among the left who are screaming about it, when they didn't utter a peep when left-wing commentators said the exact same types of things about those on the right. And then when I point out those statements, we get all kinds of justification as to why "that's different" and Rush is the only one who should be taken to task for his offensive statement. This is not at all to justify what Rush said or "you did it first" - to the contrary, if it's wrong when Rush did it (which it clearly is), why isn't is also wrong when all those other people did it? Evidently, it's somehow "different" and not AS wrong as what Rush did - hence the existence of a double-standard.

When you post something said by a 'liberal' which deserves analogous condemnation, I'll be happy to join in.
    You mean all of the multiple statements I linked to above by Bill Maher, Chris Mathews, at al. don't count? They don't deserve analogous condemnation?

When you post it only as a reaction (and attempt at deflection) to something a conservative said, I'm going to ignore it.
    Well then you don't need to ignore it this time, because that is not at all why I posted those things. But if it makes it easier for you to live with them and reconcile the double standard, go for it.

In the meanwhile, forget about the mythical 'double standard'. It doesn't exist.
    Erm, yeah, it clearly does.
    - Bill T.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    My hope is that Limbaugh's sponsors ditch him, that his show gets canned, and he goes broke and ends up crawling in a gutter in Michigan, in January.
    Very charitable of you. Glad to see the right-wingers haven't cornered the market on "violent rhetoric". And the left claims to be so tolerant and accepting.
    - Bill T.

Is it the GOP war on women's health, or is it the Democrats War on religion and the first amendment? There are two sides to this argument but you are trying to imply that one (and only one) side is provoking this, and I think both sides have dirtied their hands on this issue solely for political gains with no consideration for religious freedom or women's reproductive rights.
    Religious freedom ends at a person's skin. It does not extend to the benefit plan they provide their employees. The rest of the civilized world has pretty much figured this out already.

Very charitable of you. Glad to see the right-wingers haven't cornered the market on "violent rhetoric". And the left claims to be so tolerant and accepting.
    Where's the violence?

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    Woohoo! Hehe... that one got a laugh. Really? "War on Women's Health!" Gotta include those scare quotes. We always have to have a good "war" on something. Why not? Hey, we've got the war on drugs, the war on poverty, the war on terrorism, the war on obesity, the war on illiteracy - we need more wars!

I'm game - explain for us rubes what this "war on women's health" consists of. Specifically.
    - Bill T.

Actually given her public testimony before a Democratic House Committee on TV, she would likely be classified as a public figure and not subject to the libel issue. She has also been on the View and other public arenas. She could certainly sue Rush but would not likely get much traction in court.

More importantly, how is either any less or more civil?
    Civility has nothing to do with libel, and the public figure defense doesn't work against libel per se. It is more a question of whether or not a public figure feels it is worthwhile to sue. Also--testimony in a public arena does not make you a public figure--that should be obvious. This stuff is well-known to those in the media, which raises the original question--how he is keeping his job, unlike, say, Don Imus. I think Limbaugh is relying on the kindness of strangers.

Where's the violence?
    Damn good question. That's what I've always wondered.
    - Bill T.

I am not The Left. I speak for myself, period. You seem to have a problem with the concept of individuality.

Dan McCosh:
    I think Limbaugh is relying on the kindness of strangers.
    Make that the fear of his keepers.

Religious freedom ends at a person's skin. It does not extend to the benefit plan they provide their employees. The rest of the civilized world has pretty much figured this out already.
    But tell an employer what they must offer despite their religious beliefs is the issue. Beyond a minimum wage there is little that the employer must do - the offer a salary and possibly benefits, and the employee is free to accept the terms or look for work elsewhere. Even after Obamacare takes effect in 2014 the employer is still not required to offer health insurance - they can pay a small fine (cheaper than obtaining health insurance for their employees) and walk away form the train wreck. You talk about the person's skin, well what about the skin of the person that has legitimate moral objections and is hiring employees? They have rights too.

Civility has nothing to do with libel, and the public figure defense doesn't work against libel per se. It is more a question of whether or not a public figure feels it is worthwhile to sue. Also--testimony in a public arena does not make you a public figure--that should be obvious. This stuff is well-known to those in the media, which raises the original question--how he is keeping his job, unlike, say, Don Imus. I think Limbaugh is relying on the kindness of strangers.
    Again, the issue isn't libel, but if it were - the fact that she is a public figure insulates others from her suing them for libel. And it was not me but someone else that raised the issue of libel in the first place. My point is that whether or not someone has been libeled really isn't the issue - the issue is civility, and a libelous statement is no more or less civil than some of the stuff that gets thrown around in the bilge. As for Don Imus...I think he got a bad deal with the media. He is a shock jock every bit as much as howard Stern or Mancow - they all say offensive things and mean them to be said in jest. He went for a joke and missed the mark - he apologized almost immediately and I think he tried his best to make up for the mistake. From what little I do know about him, I don't believe he meant any of what he said. I used to listen to his show on the way to work in the morning, and he was most insulting to the people he liked the most, and laughed the hardest when others did the same thing back to him. That is part of the shock jock thing. Likewise, Rush made a huge mistake and though it took him a couple of days to absorb the impact of it, it sounds like he "gets it". President Obama inadvertently referred to Jews as Janitors and given his treatment of Israel, it doesn't help, but it was an obvious slip of the tongue. Should we all go on a rampage about that too?

I have to sadly conclude that it is really the GOP pandering to right wing religious interests, and most certainly NOT any sort of Democratic war on religion or the first amendment.

We are going to disagree on this one. This can also be seen as President Obama pandering to his base and creating a nontroversy to distract from the horrible job he has done on the economy. I would like to believe that this is not the case, but both sides are more fixated on the outcome of the election than how they get there. And that means both will do whatever is necessary - the ends justify the means. I recognize that you see it differently. Maybe because I have no political party and vote for both sides, I can see that neither holds the moral high ground. This is not good versus evil here. Just two sides slugging it out to be king of the hill (no pun intended )
    Last edited by Concordia 33; 03-06-2012 at 03:27 PM.

This isn't cute anymore. You wish your acquaintances were representative of his audience so you could believe his audience didn't act on what he said, in their capacity as your fellow citizens, so that you couldn't be responsible for it. Tra la, tra la, denial.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    The Lord was not pleased with what was happening to the Hammonds. -- Ammon Bundy