Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

Default Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

I've had the questionalbe pleasure of listening to Limbaugh a bit over the years and having my ear bent by some who think he's infalible.

Last week's Limbaughism is not the first absurd thing he's said, and if you get past some of the language he used last week, it is clear he either knows not how contraception works or he doesn't care, preferring to misrepresent matters of fact to make his point for his listeners.

Al Franken wrote and entire book about this: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot". In this book he shows over and over again how Rush mistates matters of fact. Rush will say something to the effect of: I'm not making this stuff up, folks, this is all fact. Only it isn't, and he is making it up. When asked about Franken's book, Rush responded by claiming to be an entertainer and having no need to get his fact correct.

Liberals take a lot of heat in recent years from conservatives for simply beling liberal. It is not the liberals who are listening to Rush and his kind: it is conservatives.

It is also conservatives who still pay attention when Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al speak.

I can cite some specifics, such as Rush telling his audience than man is not capable of polluting the planet. Is there a sane man who agrees with that? He's said that having an abortion can leave long lasting emotional scars. That is true, but if one wishes to be honest, one must compare that abortion to the alternatives of giving a baby away for adoption or raising a child you're neither financially or emotionally prepared to raise. He omits those last two.

A lot of us liberals took a lot of heat from conservatives, even family members, when we didn't believe Saddam had any weapons or posed any threat. We were "unpatriotic". We were "atheists" (don't know how that fit in). We were not fit to be Americans if we question our president.

History has proven those of us who did not believe Saddam had the weapons to be correct.

Funny how conservatives change the rules when the president changes. Now it seems perfectly fine to make personal attacks on our president.

Those who listen to Rush, or Hannity, or O'Reilly, or some others of that ilk might re-consider who they choose to listen to.

These people are literally, IMO, poisoning the minds of those who listen to them.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

jbelow!

Pew research from a few years ago figured it had the highest number of self-identified conservatives of any popular tv or radio personality. Mostly old white guys.

Those with a Victim mentality.

Jon Stewart went after Rush last night. It was great!
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com

'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

I can tell you this morning who is not listening.
    WGAN is the local host of this pig. There is a Move On petition to the station that was created within the last 24 hours and there are nearly 3,000 signatures and looks like 80% are pissed off Maine women.
    Facebook seems to be the conduit.
    Study Peace

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I've had the questionalbe pleasure of listening to Limbaugh a bit over the years and having my ear bent by some who think he's infalible.

Last week's Limbaughism is not the first absurd thing he's said, and if you get past some of the language he used last week, it is clear he either knows not how contraception works or he doesn't care, preferring to misrepresent matters of fact to make his point for his listeners.

Al Franken wrote and entire book about this: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot". In this book he shows over and over again how Rush mistates matters of fact. Rush will say something to the effect of: I'm not making this stuff up, folks, this is all fact. Only it isn't, and he is making it up. When asked about Franken's book, Rush responded by claiming to be an entertainer and having no need to get his fact correct.

Liberals take a lot of heat in recent years from conservatives for simply beling liberal. It is not the liberals who are listening to Rush and his kind: it is conservatives.

It is also conservatives who still pay attention when Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al speak.

I can cite some specifics, such as Rush telling his audience than man is not capable of polluting the planet. Is there a sane man who agrees with that? He's said that having an abortion can leave long lasting emotional scars. That is true, but if one wishes to be honest, one must compare that abortion to the alternatives of giving a baby away for adoption or raising a child you're neither financially or emotionally prepared to raise. He omits those last two.

A lot of us liberals took a lot of heat from conservatives, even family members, when we didn't believe Saddam had any weapons or posed any threat. We were "unpatriotic". We were "atheists" (don't know how that fit in). We were not fit to be Americans if we question our president.

History has proven those of us who did not believe Saddam had the weapons to be correct.

Funny how conservatives change the rules when the president changes. Now it seems perfectly fine to make personal attacks on our president.

Those who listen to Rush, or Hannity, or O'Reilly, or some others of that ilk might re-consider who they choose to listen to.

These people are literally, IMO, poisoning the minds of those who listen to them.
    I can agree with you in part, but when you start keeping score I think you miss how much this stuff occurs in BOTH directions. Despite how much Brietbart has been reviled here and elsewhere, he was the one that broke the Anthony Weiner story. And when he did, Anthony Weiner and all the liberal media trashed him. The only problem was that he was right.

I'm not a true conservative but many of my views are conservative leaning, and yet I opposed the Invasion of Iraq. I listen to Rush from time to time, and he is definitely extreme and goes over the top - he can be a little like a political shock jock. But thinking that his words control the minds of all conservatives would be the same as saying that Reverend Wright's words control the attitudes of our President. Conservatives think for themselves just as much as liberals. I think you are painting with a broad brush, and glossing over some of the equally unacceptable moments from the more liberal side.
    * _______________________________________ )

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I rarely listen..Once in a while for a laugh. I can remember one in particular that got my fancy. Rush was talking about outhouses having to have cell power installed for running the electricity. He followed up by saying the $10,000 cost per out house for the retro fit was fine but many of the outhouses were located under pine trees.I have no idea where he was coming from on this, but I got a kick over thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    looks like 80% are pissed off Maine women.
    Looks like Gal Qaeda has found a target they can finaly rally around.

I sometimes listen to the guy, mostly because it's too quiet in the office and I just need some background noise. I typically leave him on quietly and once in a while turn my ear to actually hear what he's talking about. I am very far from a "dittohead." I do not see him as some brilliant pundit; mostly just an entertainer. As with just about any other radio personality, I sometimes agree with some things he says, and often disagree with some things he says. I certainly don't "take my marching orders" from him. You have to admit he's effective at what he does - he pretty much single-handedly saves AM radio from obscurity and invented a whole genre of radio show in doing so, which in the past 20 years has been copied dozens of times all over the place.

One thing I don't know if I can forgive him for is he pretty much helped Sean Hannity get his start. I used to sometimes listen to Hannity just to hear what he was talking about, but I can't take it anymore. If you think Rush is stupid, you should hear Hannity.

Al Franken wrote and entire book about this: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot".
    Yeah, I read that years ago. As I recall, his point was bemoaning the lack of civility in political discourse, and the title was a snarky way of making that point.

Conservatives take a lot of heat from liberals simply for being conservatives. From where I sit, it's pretty clearly a two-way street. There are plenty of bloviators on both sides. Plenty of liberals DO, in fact, listen to Rush - so they can scream and yell and wail and gnash their teeth about all the incredibly offensive and outrageous things he says - which is, at least in part, why he says them. But the liberals have on their side of the "talk show hosts who make the most outrageous and offensive statements" game Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow over at MSNBC, along with Fareed Zakaria and others. And then there's good ol' Al Sharpton. They've all uttered some pretty ridiculous statements themselves, and have had plenty of denigrating things to say about conservatives and Republicans. You know, goose/gander, etc.

And liberals pay attention when Bill Clinton and Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson speak. George Stephanopolous got his own show. I don't see anything offensive or outrageous about any of that. Each person decides who he or she wants to believe or listen to.

We were not fit to be Americans if we question our president.
    Yeah, ironic, isn't it? Because I've heard that very same statement made many times over the past 2-3 years. Again, I just see it as predictable confirmation bias. Each side is blind to its own faults. "It's different when we do it" applies to the Republicans just as well as it does to the Democrats. And it's not very hard to dredge up all kinds of examples of it in action.0

Yeah, funny, ain't it? The same people who used to say "dissent is the highest form of patriotism" when that dissent was aimed at George Bush, and who portrayed him as a chimp, Hitler, The Joker, etc., etc., and Dick Cheney as Darth Vader, etc. now call anyone "racist" if they have anything less than glowing admiration and idolizing worship for Obama. They claim you're disrespecting the office of the president by criticizing him.

Hannity is an idiot who makes me wonder how he has become as successful as he has. O'Reilly is a bully and a windbag, who also makes me wonder the same thing. Rush is a very smart, entrepeneurial capitalist who knows what red meat his audience likes - but again, they're all really mostly entertainers. None of them are running for office or trying to lead the government.

I might say the same about all those left-wing commentators - I can't imagine how someone could listen to Chris Matthews or Rachel Maddow or - maybe the worst of them - Bill Maher. The angry, hateful, bitter, condescending rhetoric I have heard all of them utter is pretty impressive. Go take a look at the things that Bill Maher said about Sarah Palin. I mean, like her or not (I never have been a big fan), it's pretty stupid and outrageous to stoop so low as to call her a c*nt - which Bill Maher did. And he also called Michelle Bachmann (again, I'm not a big fan) a "bitch" and other similar things.

So now we've got the left getting its panties in a bunch because Rush called that woman - Fluke? - a "slut". Evidently, it's perfectly fine to call conservative women c*nts nad bitches and such, though.
    - Bill T.

"How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

"Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    Conservatives take a lot of heat from liberals simply for being conservatives. From where I sit, it's pretty clearly a two-way street. There are plenty of bloviators on both sides. Plenty of liberals DO, in fact, listen to Rush - so they can scream and yell and wail and gnash their teeth about all the incredibly offensive and outrageous things he says - which is, at least in part, why he says them. But the liberals have on their side of the "talk show hosts who make the most outrageous and offensive statements" game Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow over at MSNBC, along with Fareed Zakaria and others. And then there's good ol' Al Sharpton. They've all uttered some pretty ridiculous statements themselves, and have had plenty of denigrating things to say about conservatives and Republicans. You know, goose/gander, etc.

I might say the same about all those left-wing commentators - I can't imagine how someone could listen to Chris Matthews or Rachel Maddow or - maybe the worst of them - Bill Maher. The angry, hateful, bitter, condescending rhetoric I have heard all of them utter is pretty impressive. Go take a look at the things that Bill Maher said about Sarah Palin. I mean, like her or not (I never have been a big fan), it's pretty stupid and outrageous to stoop so low as to call her a c*nt - which Bill Maher did. And he also called Michelle Bachmann (again, I'm not a big fan) a "bitch" and other similar things.

So now we've got the left getting its panties in a bunch because Rush called that woman - Fluke? - a "slut". Evidently, it's perfectly fine to call conservative women c*nts nad bitches and such, though.

++1

watch out Rust..worthy of at least the ignore button.

"Rush is the poster boy for contraception."
    "I can't understand how this man has gone through four wives."
    Gut crushers, Colbert.

One spoke of her experience with the birth control issue. The other offers herself as a potential President, offering her ignorance, bigotry, viciousness and cunning as her principal qualifications.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

Ever heard Carlin's take on ol, Rushbo. He doesn't go into the Domincan boy thing but he covers the Cigars. I would post it but it's pretty descriptive.

Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?
    Just from what I've read here on the forum, I'd say its mostly enraged pinko wannabes. . .

I can't think of a single conservative that I respect that has posted a thread or link that originated with praise for Limbaugh.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    One spoke of her experience with the birth control issue. The other offers herself as a potential President, offering her ignorance, bigotry, viciousness and cunning as her principal qualifications.
    Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

OK, thanks for the clarification.
    - Bill T.

the same as saying that Reverend Wright's words control the attitudes of our President.
    One would not have been heard of more than a few blocks away had not the President been present; the President repudiated the remarks.

The other has the widest-circulation talk show in America and the principal Republican candidates affirm his remarks.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Just from what I've read here on the forum, I'd say its mostly enraged pinko wannabes. . .

I can't think of a single conservative that I respect that has posted a thread or link that originated with praise for Limbaugh.
    I can think of a few. Maybe its Alzheimer's Paul. Get checked.

"...that I respect..." being the operative here.

Damn. "ILikeRust" nailed it, epoxied it, but on the final coat, fastened the "whiskey plank", or whatever else you want to call it.

The truth is going to hurt to faithful.

Too bad it won't stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Damn. "ILikeRust" nailed it, epoxied it, but on the final coat, fastened the "whiskey plank", or whatever else you want to call it.

The truth is going to hurt to faithful.

Too bad it won't stop them.
    Just hoping neither one was Catholic. They could be in danger

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    One would not have been heard of more than a few blocks away had not the President been present; the President repudiated the remarks.

The other has the widest-circulation talk show in America and the principal Republican candidates affirm his remarks.
    Ahh, but he did not originally repudiate the remarks, not for the first 20 years in that church, nor in the speech that gave Chris Matthews a tingling down his leg. He finally repudiated it when the media storm could not be settled. To Rush's credit he apologized withing 5 days whereas it took President Obama years before it cause a cognitive dissonance for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    I can tell you this morning who is not listening.
    WGAN is the local host of this pig. There is a Move On petition to the station that was created within the last 24 hours and there are nearly 3,000 signatures and looks like 80% are pissed off Maine women.
    Facebook seems to be the conduit.

When the TV first started putting on objectionable stuff we on the right were told just do not turn it on if it upsets you.

I can issue this same advice to these woman that probably were the ones to say do not listen..

But that's what is nice about being a liberal one's stance varies on the situation.

Oh. As to the original question, which was actually less a question, and more a lead in to some hind sight benefited and slightly inaccurate boasting...

The only people I know who listen to Rush, are liberals.

I never hear his voice, except when some other media outlet plays a clip. Or when the excavation guy comes to dig up our septic tank, and has the radio blasting in the cab of his backhoe.

I grew up in a right-wing nut home and have been surrounded by right-wing nuts most of my life, here in the rural western U.S. Thus, I can predict virtually every word that issues from Rush's fat mouth, because I've heard it in endless variations for decades. It doesn't make any more sense now than when I first heard it during John Birch Society meetings at our house, with a Nevada congressman (Walter Baring) dozing off after two bourbon highballs.

As Mr. Shakespeare wrote, I would sooner listen to my dog bark at a crow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    As Mr. Shakespeare wrote, I would sooner listen to my dog bark at a crow.
    Can you at least understand or recognize that there are plenty who feel precisely the same way about, say, Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow, or the cackling "left-wing nut" (to borrow your term of endearment) hens on "The View"?

And that this does not make such people evil, stupid or ignorant; just merely viewing the world differently than you?
    - Bill T.

Can you at least understand or recognize that there are plenty who feel precisely the same way about, say, Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow, or the cackling "left-wing nut" (to borrow your term of endearment) hens on "The View"?

And that this does not make such people evil, stupid or ignorant; just merely viewing the world differently than you?
    They are, in my experience, often stupid, ignorant, or both. Evil? Who knows? That's not my call.

Your assumption seems to be that everyone is programmed by some media source or other, but I don't listen to Maddow, Matthews, or MSNBC either. I do, however, know the difference between right and wrong.

They are, in my experience, often stupid, ignorant, or both.
    I see. So those who don't want to listen to Rush Limbaugh or other right-wing talkers are sensible, intelligent and enlightened. Those who don't want to listen to left-wing talkers are stupid, ignorant or both. Gotcha.

Your assumption seems to be that everyone is programmed by some media source or other
    Not at all. Although I often hear commentators on the left whining about how conservatives and Republicans "take their marching orders from Rush"

I do, however, know the difference between right and wrong.
    So then you'll agree with me that this was wrong:

- Bill T.

Thats just stupid. Can you envision Matthews calling someone a slut, prostitute or playing Barack the magic negro on his show?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

Oh. As to the original question, which was actually less a question, and more a lead in to some hind sight benefited and slightly inaccurate boasting...

OK - I've heard this enough times now that I have to call bs. Most of the conservatives here seem to regard me as a liberal. I have a wide variety of liberal and conservative friends. The only time I've listened to Rush with any regularity was when I used to carpool with a conservative buddy. When he drove - it was on. In fact - just anecdotally - I have to say that the only people I've ever seen listen to Rush regularly are conservatives. I don't know a liberal who does.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'll not engage in a point-by-point pissing match. Sorry, but it's a waste of time, and tedious as well.

I did read all your comments, and I honestly don't care whether you agree with me or not. Why are you driven to force some sort of agreement on my part? What's next, fire and the sword?

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    Thats just stupid. Can you envision Matthews calling someone a slut, prostitute or playing Barack the magic negro on his show?
    1. See the video clip directly above, in which Ed Schultz, liberal commentator on MSNBC did exactly that - called right-wing commentator Laura Ingraham a slut - twice. As for offensively misgynistic statements made by Keith Olbermann and - yes - Chris Mathews, read this. See, this is what's known as "an inconvenient truth" - i.e., that your vaunted left-wing commentators are just as adept as their right-wing counterparts at uttering stupid and offensive things in the heat of their polemics.

2. The term "magic negro" as applied to Barack Obama, did not originate with Rush Limbaugh. He was making fun of the term, which originated in the notoriously right-wing editorial page of the L.A. Times (this is sarcasm, BTW - the L.A. Times is about as right wing as the NY Times). See here.
    - Bill T.

I'll not engage in a point-by-point pissing match. Sorry, but it's a waste of time, and tedious as well.

I did read all your comments, and I honestly don't care whether you agree with me or not. Why are you driven to force some sort of agreement on my part? What's next, fire and the sword?
    Hey, you're free to disagree, that's fine. I'm not going to call you stupid or ignorant just because you hold opinions different than mine. I'm just highlighting the disingenuousness and hypocrisy that is so rank here. A lot of people are arguing that the conservatives are all misogynists and racists and stupid and ignorant and hateful, blah, blah, blah - and seemingly implying - and in one case, outright stating - that their left-wing counterparts never would stoop to such things.

And yet the objective facts clearly indicate otherwise.
    - Bill T.

Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

Ann Coulter is not a synonym for conservative women.

and generally bilge rat liberals at that... it's been pointed out many times
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

To which LeeG says.........

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    That is exactly the kind of offensive language that I am referring to - how is that ever OK?

You might look up libel per se and you would understand the issue with Limbaugh's remarks, compared to what amounts to insulting language directed towards a public figure.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    You're the first to mention Ann Coulter anywhere on this thread, so I don't get your point. Although I get a sense it was meant to be some kind of snark.
    - Bill T.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    You might look up libel per se and you would understand the issue with Limbaugh's remarks, compared to what amounts to insulting language directed towards a public figure.
    Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with what libel and slander mean - we covered them in first-year torts class. Query whether putting yourself out there as an active advocate on a major public policy issue and testifying before Congress makes you a "public figure."

Also, this is a dodge from the original point. The fact that someone might actually be a "public figure" - e.g., let's say Laura Ingraham is - does that make it perfectly acceptable to call her a "slut"? Really? That's the distinction? Ed Schultz called her that evidently merely because she's a right-winger.

The cognitive dissonance here is pretty impressive. There's a huge double standard staring everyone directly in the face, and several here are pedaling like mad to rationalize it away.
    - Bill T.

I would like to go on record as saying that it is completely unacceptable and utterly deplorable to attack right-wing women for their looks, their ages, their sexuality, or anything else that is unrelated to the job they do or aspire to.

It's also unnecessary, given the wealth of legitimate criticism they make available through their own words, their ideas (ownership questionable), and their intelligence or lack thereof.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Actually given her public testimony before a Democratic House Committee on TV, she would likely be classified as a public figure and not subject to the libel issue. She has also been on the View and other public arenas. She could certainly sue Rush but would not likely get much traction in court.

More importantly, how is either any less or more civil?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    I would like to go on record as saying that it is completely unacceptable and utterly deplorable to attack right-wing women for their looks, their ages, their sexuality, or anything else that is unrelated to the job they do or aspire to.

It's also unnecessary, given the wealth of legitimate criticism they make available through their own words, their ideas (ownership questionable), and their intelligence or lack thereof.

So it sounds like you are in the group that is outraged at the things Rush said while full of moral confidence that your attacks on conservative women "and their intelligence or lack thereof" are civil and justified?

That's pretty funny. The entire GOP is afraid of ol Rushbo. Why do you think they are all afraid to comment on his latest antics. I have never, ever heard of a liberal listening to him other than I'm sure the staffs of Liberal blogs, web sites etc. listening for the latest bit of trash talk.
    Tom

so, in the end who is on the right side of this issue?

I dare ol Rushbo to bad mouth these ladies. They will hunt him down and kick his ass. They just may be planning this anyhow.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...c=nl_headlines
    Tom

The more I read here in The Bilge, the more convinced I become that this country is, indeed, hopelessly divided. It certainly seems that the far left and the far right just love to spend a lot of time and energy demonizing, belittling, vilifying and denigrating "the other side" - i.e., anyone who has the incredible audacity to not fully agree with their own (clearly superior) beliefs.

From where I sit, neither side holds the moral high ground; neither side has corned the market on intelligent, reasoned, civil discourse or a demonstrated ability to legitimate leadership quality.
    - Bill T.

I do not think this type of language (on the air or off) should be considered acceptable by anyone whether one classifies a person, which seems to be the criteria here, as a public person or not, a lib or a conservative, a catholic, or a baptist. It says more about the speaker than it does about the person addressed.One's vocabulary has to be pretty limited to resort to using such words.
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 03-06-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post

Yeah, because Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi are such freakin' genuises, and only pearls of timeless wisdom spill out of their cakeholes.

Yup, those conservative wimmin folk sure are stupid! So of course, they're fair targets to be bashed with impunity. But jus' let one o' them stupid, ignant conservative a-holes so much as utter a critical syllable about a left-winger, and we'll do our damndest to destroy his utter existence!

I find plenty to legitimately criticize on both sides of the aisle. But y'all can keep shaking yer pom-poms for TEAM RED! or TEAM BLUE! as you see fit, regardless of how disingenuous, hypocritical and disgusting they both are.
    - Bill T.