Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 161

Thread: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    22,713

    Default Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    I've had the questionalbe pleasure of listening to Limbaugh a bit over the years and having my ear bent by some who think he's infalible.

    Last week's Limbaughism is not the first absurd thing he's said, and if you get past some of the language he used last week, it is clear he either knows not how contraception works or he doesn't care, preferring to misrepresent matters of fact to make his point for his listeners.

    Al Franken wrote and entire book about this: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot". In this book he shows over and over again how Rush mistates matters of fact. Rush will say something to the effect of: I'm not making this stuff up, folks, this is all fact. Only it isn't, and he is making it up. When asked about Franken's book, Rush responded by claiming to be an entertainer and having no need to get his fact correct.

    Liberals take a lot of heat in recent years from conservatives for simply beling liberal. It is not the liberals who are listening to Rush and his kind: it is conservatives.

    It is also conservatives who still pay attention when Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al speak.

    I can cite some specifics, such as Rush telling his audience than man is not capable of polluting the planet. Is there a sane man who agrees with that? He's said that having an abortion can leave long lasting emotional scars. That is true, but if one wishes to be honest, one must compare that abortion to the alternatives of giving a baby away for adoption or raising a child you're neither financially or emotionally prepared to raise. He omits those last two.

    A lot of us liberals took a lot of heat from conservatives, even family members, when we didn't believe Saddam had any weapons or posed any threat. We were "unpatriotic". We were "atheists" (don't know how that fit in). We were not fit to be Americans if we question our president.

    History has proven those of us who did not believe Saddam had the weapons to be correct.

    Funny how conservatives change the rules when the president changes. Now it seems perfectly fine to make personal attacks on our president.

    Those who listen to Rush, or Hannity, or O'Reilly, or some others of that ilk might re-consider who they choose to listen to.

    These people are literally, IMO, poisoning the minds of those who listen to them.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    15,277

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    jbelow!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    39,346

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Pew research from a few years ago figured it had the highest number of self-identified conservatives of any popular tv or radio personality. Mostly old white guys.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jerome, Aridzonia Apu Mingus
    Posts
    3,017

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Those with a Victim mentality.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    9,768

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Jon Stewart went after Rush last night. It was great!
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com


    'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    39,346

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    12,294

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    I can tell you this morning who is not listening.
    WGAN is the local host of this pig. There is a Move On petition to the station that was created within the last 24 hours and there are nearly 3,000 signatures and looks like 80% are pissed off Maine women.
    Facebook seems to be the conduit.
    Study Peace

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Ocean
    Posts
    1,301

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    looks like 80% are pissed off Maine women.
    .
    Looks like Gal Qaeda has found a target they can finaly rally around.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northwest Oregon coast
    Posts
    14,512

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    I can tell you this morning who is not listening.
    WGAN is the local host of this pig. There is a Move On petition to the station that was created within the last 24 hours and there are nearly 3,000 signatures and looks like 80% are pissed off Maine women.
    Facebook seems to be the conduit.
    .

    When the TV first started putting on objectionable stuff we on the right were told just do not turn it on if it upsets you.

    I can issue this same advice to these woman that probably were the ones to say do not listen..

    But that's what is nice about being a liberal one's stance varies on the situation.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    12,294

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    I can tell you this morning who is not listening.
    WGAN is the local host of this pig. There is a Move On petition to the station that was created within the last 24 hours and there are nearly 3,000 signatures and looks like 80% are pissed off Maine women.
    Facebook seems to be the conduit.
    1,000 more signatures since I posted this this morning.

    http://signon.org/sign/pull-rushs-mi....fb&r_by=14271
    Study Peace

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East of the Sun and West of the Moon
    Posts
    3,748

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I've had the questionalbe pleasure of listening to Limbaugh a bit over the years and having my ear bent by some who think he's infalible.

    Last week's Limbaughism is not the first absurd thing he's said, and if you get past some of the language he used last week, it is clear he either knows not how contraception works or he doesn't care, preferring to misrepresent matters of fact to make his point for his listeners.

    Al Franken wrote and entire book about this: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot". In this book he shows over and over again how Rush mistates matters of fact. Rush will say something to the effect of: I'm not making this stuff up, folks, this is all fact. Only it isn't, and he is making it up. When asked about Franken's book, Rush responded by claiming to be an entertainer and having no need to get his fact correct.

    Liberals take a lot of heat in recent years from conservatives for simply beling liberal. It is not the liberals who are listening to Rush and his kind: it is conservatives.

    It is also conservatives who still pay attention when Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al speak.

    I can cite some specifics, such as Rush telling his audience than man is not capable of polluting the planet. Is there a sane man who agrees with that? He's said that having an abortion can leave long lasting emotional scars. That is true, but if one wishes to be honest, one must compare that abortion to the alternatives of giving a baby away for adoption or raising a child you're neither financially or emotionally prepared to raise. He omits those last two.

    A lot of us liberals took a lot of heat from conservatives, even family members, when we didn't believe Saddam had any weapons or posed any threat. We were "unpatriotic". We were "atheists" (don't know how that fit in). We were not fit to be Americans if we question our president.

    History has proven those of us who did not believe Saddam had the weapons to be correct.

    Funny how conservatives change the rules when the president changes. Now it seems perfectly fine to make personal attacks on our president.

    Those who listen to Rush, or Hannity, or O'Reilly, or some others of that ilk might re-consider who they choose to listen to.

    These people are literally, IMO, poisoning the minds of those who listen to them.
    I can agree with you in part, but when you start keeping score I think you miss how much this stuff occurs in BOTH directions. Despite how much Brietbart has been reviled here and elsewhere, he was the one that broke the Anthony Weiner story. And when he did, Anthony Weiner and all the liberal media trashed him. The only problem was that he was right.


    I'm not a true conservative but many of my views are conservative leaning, and yet I opposed the Invasion of Iraq. I listen to Rush from time to time, and he is definitely extreme and goes over the top - he can be a little like a political shock jock. But thinking that his words control the minds of all conservatives would be the same as saying that Reverend Wright's words control the attitudes of our President. Conservatives think for themselves just as much as liberals. I think you are painting with a broad brush, and glossing over some of the equally unacceptable moments from the more liberal side.
    * _______________________________________ )

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    22,713

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Concordia 33 View Post
    I can agree with you in part, but when you start keeping score I think you miss how much this stuff occurs in BOTH directions. Despite how much Brietbart has been reviled here and elsewhere, he was the one that broke the Anthony Weiner story. And when he did, Anthony Weiner and all the liberal media trashed him. The only problem was that he was right.


    I'm not a true conservative but many of my views are conservative leaning, and yet I opposed the Invasion of Iraq. I listen to Rush from time to time, and he is definitely extreme and goes over the top - he can be a little like a political shock jock. But thinking that his words control the minds of all conservatives would be the same as saying that Reverend Wright's words control the attitudes of our President. Conservatives think for themselves just as much as liberals. I think you are painting with a broad brush, and glossing over some of the equally unacceptable moments from the more liberal side.
    I find it possible to condemn Rush and, at the same time, condemn Clinton and Weiner for doing stupid things.

    Rush, we must also remember, is not alone or unique, other than in the size of his audience. My aunt called me one night a couple of years ago and insisted I watch a Hannity special. I did. Then I did some research and sent her links that proved the entire hour was based on a false premise.

    These people are dangerous, and they have an absolutely faith following that lives, as Maher puts it, in a bubble.

    I remember a year or so ago Ed Schultz saying something about Laura Ingrams, and how humbly he appologized immediately and took a week off behind it.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    32,096

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    I rarely listen..Once in a while for a laugh. I can remember one in particular that got my fancy. Rush was talking about outhouses having to have cell power installed for running the electricity. He followed up by saying the $10,000 cost per out house for the retro fit was fine but many of the outhouses were located under pine trees.I have no idea where he was coming from on this, but I got a kick over thinking about it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    I sometimes listen to the guy, mostly because it's too quiet in the office and I just need some background noise. I typically leave him on quietly and once in a while turn my ear to actually hear what he's talking about. I am very far from a "dittohead." I do not see him as some brilliant pundit; mostly just an entertainer. As with just about any other radio personality, I sometimes agree with some things he says, and often disagree with some things he says. I certainly don't "take my marching orders" from him. You have to admit he's effective at what he does - he pretty much single-handedly saves AM radio from obscurity and invented a whole genre of radio show in doing so, which in the past 20 years has been copied dozens of times all over the place.

    One thing I don't know if I can forgive him for is he pretty much helped Sean Hannity get his start. I used to sometimes listen to Hannity just to hear what he was talking about, but I can't take it anymore. If you think Rush is stupid, you should hear Hannity.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Al Franken wrote and entire book about this: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot".
    Yeah, I read that years ago. As I recall, his point was bemoaning the lack of civility in political discourse, and the title was a snarky way of making that point.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Liberals take a lot of heat in recent years from conservatives for simply beling liberal. It is not the liberals who are listening to Rush and his kind: it is conservatives.
    Conservatives take a lot of heat from liberals simply for being conservatives. From where I sit, it's pretty clearly a two-way street. There are plenty of bloviators on both sides. Plenty of liberals DO, in fact, listen to Rush - so they can scream and yell and wail and gnash their teeth about all the incredibly offensive and outrageous things he says - which is, at least in part, why he says them. But the liberals have on their side of the "talk show hosts who make the most outrageous and offensive statements" game Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow over at MSNBC, along with Fareed Zakaria and others. And then there's good ol' Al Sharpton. They've all uttered some pretty ridiculous statements themselves, and have had plenty of denigrating things to say about conservatives and Republicans. You know, goose/gander, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    It is also conservatives who still pay attention when Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al speak.
    And liberals pay attention when Bill Clinton and Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson speak. George Stephanopolous got his own show. I don't see anything offensive or outrageous about any of that. Each person decides who he or she wants to believe or listen to.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    We were not fit to be Americans if we question our president.
    Yeah, ironic, isn't it? Because I've heard that very same statement made many times over the past 2-3 years. Again, I just see it as predictable confirmation bias. Each side is blind to its own faults. "It's different when we do it" applies to the Republicans just as well as it does to the Democrats. And it's not very hard to dredge up all kinds of examples of it in action.0

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Funny how conservatives change the rules when the president changes. Now it seems perfectly fine to make personal attacks on our president.
    Yeah, funny, ain't it? The same people who used to say "dissent is the highest form of patriotism" when that dissent was aimed at George Bush, and who portrayed him as a chimp, Hitler, The Joker, etc., etc., and Dick Cheney as Darth Vader, etc. now call anyone "racist" if they have anything less than glowing admiration and idolizing worship for Obama. They claim you're disrespecting the office of the president by criticizing him.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Those who listen to Rush, or Hannity, or O'Reilly, or some others of that ilk might re-consider who they choose to listen to.
    Hannity is an idiot who makes me wonder how he has become as successful as he has. O'Reilly is a bully and a windbag, who also makes me wonder the same thing. Rush is a very smart, entrepeneurial capitalist who knows what red meat his audience likes - but again, they're all really mostly entertainers. None of them are running for office or trying to lead the government.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    These people are literally, IMO, poisoning the minds of those who listen to them.
    I might say the same about all those left-wing commentators - I can't imagine how someone could listen to Chris Matthews or Rachel Maddow or - maybe the worst of them - Bill Maher. The angry, hateful, bitter, condescending rhetoric I have heard all of them utter is pretty impressive. Go take a look at the things that Bill Maher said about Sarah Palin. I mean, like her or not (I never have been a big fan), it's pretty stupid and outrageous to stoop so low as to call her a c*nt - which Bill Maher did. And he also called Michelle Bachmann (again, I'm not a big fan) a "bitch" and other similar things.

    So now we've got the left getting its panties in a bunch because Rush called that woman - Fluke? - a "slut". Evidently, it's perfectly fine to call conservative women c*nts nad bitches and such, though.
    - Bill T.

    "How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

    "Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East of the Sun and West of the Moon
    Posts
    3,748

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    Conservatives take a lot of heat from liberals simply for being conservatives. From where I sit, it's pretty clearly a two-way street. There are plenty of bloviators on both sides. Plenty of liberals DO, in fact, listen to Rush - so they can scream and yell and wail and gnash their teeth about all the incredibly offensive and outrageous things he says - which is, at least in part, why he says them. But the liberals have on their side of the "talk show hosts who make the most outrageous and offensive statements" game Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow over at MSNBC, along with Fareed Zakaria and others. And then there's good ol' Al Sharpton. They've all uttered some pretty ridiculous statements themselves, and have had plenty of denigrating things to say about conservatives and Republicans. You know, goose/gander, etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    I might say the same about all those left-wing commentators - I can't imagine how someone could listen to Chris Matthews or Rachel Maddow or - maybe the worst of them - Bill Maher. The angry, hateful, bitter, condescending rhetoric I have heard all of them utter is pretty impressive. Go take a look at the things that Bill Maher said about Sarah Palin. I mean, like her or not (I never have been a big fan), it's pretty stupid and outrageous to stoop so low as to call her a c*nt - which Bill Maher did. And he also called Michelle Bachmann (again, I'm not a big fan) a "bitch" and other similar things.

    So now we've got the left getting its panties in a bunch because Rush called that woman - Fluke? - a "slut". Evidently, it's perfectly fine to call conservative women c*nts nad bitches and such, though.

    ++1
    * _______________________________________ )

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    22,713

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    I sometimes listen to the guy, mostly because it's too quiet in the office and I just need some background noise. I typically leave him on quietly and once in a while turn my ear to actually hear what he's talking about. I am very far from a "dittohead." I do not see him as some brilliant pundit; mostly just an entertainer. As with just about any other radio personality, I sometimes agree with some things he says, and often disagree with some things he says. I certainly don't "take my marching orders" from him. You have to admit he's effective at what he does - he pretty much single-handedly saves AM radio from obscurity and invented a whole genre of radio show in doing so, which in the past 20 years has been copied dozens of times all over the place.

    One thing I don't know if I can forgive him for is he pretty much helped Sean Hannity get his start. I used to sometimes listen to Hannity just to hear what he was talking about, but I can't take it anymore. If you think Rush is stupid, you should hear Hannity.



    Yeah, I read that years ago. As I recall, his point was bemoaning the lack of civility in political discourse, and the title was a snarky way of making that point.



    Conservatives take a lot of heat from liberals simply for being conservatives. From where I sit, it's pretty clearly a two-way street. There are plenty of bloviators on both sides. Plenty of liberals DO, in fact, listen to Rush - so they can scream and yell and wail and gnash their teeth about all the incredibly offensive and outrageous things he says - which is, at least in part, why he says them. But the liberals have on their side of the "talk show hosts who make the most outrageous and offensive statements" game Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow over at MSNBC, along with Fareed Zakaria and others. And then there's good ol' Al Sharpton. They've all uttered some pretty ridiculous statements themselves, and have had plenty of denigrating things to say about conservatives and Republicans. You know, goose/gander, etc.



    And liberals pay attention when Bill Clinton and Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson speak. George Stephanopolous got his own show. I don't see anything offensive or outrageous about any of that. Each person decides who he or she wants to believe or listen to.



    Yeah, ironic, isn't it? Because I've heard that very same statement made many times over the past 2-3 years. Again, I just see it as predictable confirmation bias. Each side is blind to its own faults. "It's different when we do it" applies to the Republicans just as well as it does to the Democrats. And it's not very hard to dredge up all kinds of examples of it in action.0



    Yeah, funny, ain't it? The same people who used to say "dissent is the highest form of patriotism" when that dissent was aimed at George Bush, and who portrayed him as a chimp, Hitler, The Joker, etc., etc., and Dick Cheney as Darth Vader, etc. now call anyone "racist" if they have anything less than glowing admiration and idolizing worship for Obama. They claim you're disrespecting the office of the president by criticizing him.



    Hannity is an idiot who makes me wonder how he has become as successful as he has. O'Reilly is a bully and a windbag, who also makes me wonder the same thing. Rush is a very smart, entrepeneurial capitalist who knows what red meat his audience likes - but again, they're all really mostly entertainers. None of them are running for office or trying to lead the government.



    I might say the same about all those left-wing commentators - I can't imagine how someone could listen to Chris Matthews or Rachel Maddow or - maybe the worst of them - Bill Maher. The angry, hateful, bitter, condescending rhetoric I have heard all of them utter is pretty impressive. Go take a look at the things that Bill Maher said about Sarah Palin. I mean, like her or not (I never have been a big fan), it's pretty stupid and outrageous to stoop so low as to call her a c*nt - which Bill Maher did. And he also called Michelle Bachmann (again, I'm not a big fan) a "bitch" and other similar things.

    So now we've got the left getting its panties in a bunch because Rush called that woman - Fluke? - a "slut". Evidently, it's perfectly fine to call conservative women c*nts nad bitches and such, though.
    Maher's show has a warning about adult language and content.

    My panties are not in a bunch because Rush used that language. Rush was absolutely wrong in both his description of Fluke's testimony and how contraception works. I don't give a damn about the language (maybe a little), but Rush makes his facts up and his audience eats them up.

    It's been a fairly easy target, as Stewart has said, to find Beck, Hannity, Rush, et al getting their facts wrong.

    I challeng you here to see how many matters of fact Maddow has gotten wrong. She has on occassion misrepresented something, but she tends to come on the next night and correct herself.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    22,713

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    I sometimes listen to the guy, mostly because it's too quiet in the office and I just need some background noise. I typically leave him on quietly and once in a while turn my ear to actually hear what he's talking about. I am very far from a "dittohead." I do not see him as some brilliant pundit; mostly just an entertainer. As with just about any other radio personality, I sometimes agree with some things he says, and often disagree with some things he says. I certainly don't "take my marching orders" from him. You have to admit he's effective at what he does - he pretty much single-handedly saves AM radio from obscurity and invented a whole genre of radio show in doing so, which in the past 20 years has been copied dozens of times all over the place.

    One thing I don't know if I can forgive him for is he pretty much helped Sean Hannity get his start. I used to sometimes listen to Hannity just to hear what he was talking about, but I can't take it anymore. If you think Rush is stupid, you should hear Hannity.



    Yeah, I read that years ago. As I recall, his point was bemoaning the lack of civility in political discourse, and the title was a snarky way of making that point.



    Conservatives take a lot of heat from liberals simply for being conservatives. From where I sit, it's pretty clearly a two-way street. There are plenty of bloviators on both sides. Plenty of liberals DO, in fact, listen to Rush - so they can scream and yell and wail and gnash their teeth about all the incredibly offensive and outrageous things he says - which is, at least in part, why he says them. But the liberals have on their side of the "talk show hosts who make the most outrageous and offensive statements" game Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow over at MSNBC, along with Fareed Zakaria and others. And then there's good ol' Al Sharpton. They've all uttered some pretty ridiculous statements themselves, and have had plenty of denigrating things to say about conservatives and Republicans. You know, goose/gander, etc.



    And liberals pay attention when Bill Clinton and Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson speak. George Stephanopolous got his own show. I don't see anything offensive or outrageous about any of that. Each person decides who he or she wants to believe or listen to.



    Yeah, ironic, isn't it? Because I've heard that very same statement made many times over the past 2-3 years. Again, I just see it as predictable confirmation bias. Each side is blind to its own faults. "It's different when we do it" applies to the Republicans just as well as it does to the Democrats. And it's not very hard to dredge up all kinds of examples of it in action.0



    Yeah, funny, ain't it? The same people who used to say "dissent is the highest form of patriotism" when that dissent was aimed at George Bush, and who portrayed him as a chimp, Hitler, The Joker, etc., etc., and Dick Cheney as Darth Vader, etc. now call anyone "racist" if they have anything less than glowing admiration and idolizing worship for Obama. They claim you're disrespecting the office of the president by criticizing him.



    Hannity is an idiot who makes me wonder how he has become as successful as he has. O'Reilly is a bully and a windbag, who also makes me wonder the same thing. Rush is a very smart, entrepeneurial capitalist who knows what red meat his audience likes - but again, they're all really mostly entertainers. None of them are running for office or trying to lead the government.



    I might say the same about all those left-wing commentators - I can't imagine how someone could listen to Chris Matthews or Rachel Maddow or - maybe the worst of them - Bill Maher. The angry, hateful, bitter, condescending rhetoric I have heard all of them utter is pretty impressive. Go take a look at the things that Bill Maher said about Sarah Palin. I mean, like her or not (I never have been a big fan), it's pretty stupid and outrageous to stoop so low as to call her a c*nt - which Bill Maher did. And he also called Michelle Bachmann (again, I'm not a big fan) a "bitch" and other similar things.

    So now we've got the left getting its panties in a bunch because Rush called that woman - Fluke? - a "slut". Evidently, it's perfectly fine to call conservative women c*nts nad bitches and such, though.
    I hope you're not comparing Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann to Sarah Fluke. Are you?

    Fluke's testimoney was honest and knowledgable.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    32,096

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    watch out Rust..worthy of at least the ignore button.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    9,919

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    the same as saying that Reverend Wright's words control the attitudes of our President.
    One would not have been heard of more than a few blocks away had not the President been present; the President repudiated the remarks.

    The other has the widest-circulation talk show in America and the principal Republican candidates affirm his remarks.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East of the Sun and West of the Moon
    Posts
    3,748

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    One would not have been heard of more than a few blocks away had not the President been present; the President repudiated the remarks.

    The other has the widest-circulation talk show in America and the principal Republican candidates affirm his remarks.
    Ahh, but he did not originally repudiate the remarks, not for the first 20 years in that church, nor in the speech that gave Chris Matthews a tingling down his leg. He finally repudiated it when the media storm could not be settled. To Rush's credit he apologized withing 5 days whereas it took President Obama years before it cause a cognitive dissonance for him.
    * _______________________________________ )

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    22,713

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Concordia 33 View Post
    Ahh, but he did not originally repudiate the remarks, not for the first 20 years in that church, nor in the speech that gave Chris Matthews a tingling down his leg. He finally repudiated it when the media storm could not be settled. To Rush's credit he apologized withing 5 days whereas it took President Obama years before it cause a cognitive dissonance for him.
    Rush only apologized for the language. What he said was totally false.

    the man makes up facts to suit his purpose daily.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    9,919

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Concordia 33 View Post
    Ahh, but he did not originally repudiate the remarks, not for the first 20 years in that church, nor in the speech that gave Chris Matthews a tingling down his leg. He finally repudiated it when the media storm could not be settled.
    There was no media storm. The right had a spinkter spazz to hear that anyone could actually say "God Damn America" with some justification. Before the spazz Obama had no obligation to address it, and arguably, none after.


    Quote Originally Posted by Concordia 33 View Post
    To Rush's credit he apologized withing 5 days whereas it took President Obama years before it cause a cognitive dissonance for him.
    Since you believe Obama apologized, what did he apologize for?
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East of the Sun and West of the Moon
    Posts
    3,748

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post

    Since you believe Obama apologized, what did he apologize for?
    to be correct, he "disavowed" Reverend Wright. BTW Reverend Wright as a Black Liberation Theologist, said a lot more than "God Damn America".
    * _______________________________________ )

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    22,713

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    One would not have been heard of more than a few blocks away had not the President been present; the President repudiated the remarks.

    The other has the widest-circulation talk show in America and the principal Republican candidates affirm his remarks.
    Wright's words were taken out of context. It is worth listening to the entire sermon those few words were extracted from.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    18,374

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    "Rush is the poster boy for contraception."
    "I can't understand how this man has gone through four wives."
    Gut crushers, Colbert.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    9,919

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    One spoke of her experience with the birth control issue. The other offers herself as a potential President, offering her ignorance, bigotry, viciousness and cunning as her principal qualifications.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    One spoke of her experience with the birth control issue. The other offers herself as a potential President, offering her ignorance, bigotry, viciousness and cunning as her principal qualifications.
    Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

    OK, thanks for the clarification.
    - Bill T.

    "How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

    "Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    39,346

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

    OK, thanks for the clarification.
    Ann Coulter is not a synonym for conservative women.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East of the Sun and West of the Moon
    Posts
    3,748

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

    OK, thanks for the clarification.
    To which LeeG says.........

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Ann Coulter is not a synonym for conservative women.
    That is exactly the kind of offensive language that I am referring to - how is that ever OK?
    * _______________________________________ )

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Ann Coulter is not a synonym for conservative women.
    You're the first to mention Ann Coulter anywhere on this thread, so I don't get your point. Although I get a sense it was meant to be some kind of snark.
    - Bill T.

    "How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

    "Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    9,768

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    so, in the end who is on the right side of this issue?

    I dare ol Rushbo to bad mouth these ladies. They will hunt him down and kick his ass. They just may be planning this anyhow.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...c=nl_headlines
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com


    'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    8,716

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    My hope is that Limbaugh's sponsors ditch him, that his show gets canned, and he goes broke and ends up crawling in a gutter in Michigan, in January. As the Mormon apostle, J. Golden Kimball, once said:

    I shall pray for my enemies. I shall pray that they be damned.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    My hope is that Limbaugh's sponsors ditch him, that his show gets canned, and he goes broke and ends up crawling in a gutter in Michigan, in January.
    Very charitable of you. Glad to see the right-wingers haven't cornered the market on "violent rhetoric". And the left claims to be so tolerant and accepting.
    - Bill T.

    "How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

    "Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    11,454

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    Very charitable of you. Glad to see the right-wingers haven't cornered the market on "violent rhetoric". And the left claims to be so tolerant and accepting.
    Where's the violence?

    What are you doing about it?




  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Where's the violence?
    Damn good question. That's what I've always wondered.
    - Bill T.

    "How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

    "Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    8,716

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    Very charitable of you. Glad to see the right-wingers haven't cornered the market on "violent rhetoric". And the left claims to be so tolerant and accepting.
    I am not The Left. I speak for myself, period. You seem to have a problem with the concept of individuality.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    You seem to have a problem with the concept of individuality.
    Wow. Dunno how you ever managed to leap to that incorrect conclusion.
    - Bill T.

    "How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

    "Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    22,713

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    Wow. Dunno how you ever managed to leap to that incorrect conclusion.
    I've got to go. You all might want to read this

    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-sex-life.html
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    10,979

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

    OK, thanks for the clarification.
    You might look up libel per se and you would understand the issue with Limbaugh's remarks, compared to what amounts to insulting language directed towards a public figure.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    You might look up libel per se and you would understand the issue with Limbaugh's remarks, compared to what amounts to insulting language directed towards a public figure.
    Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with what libel and slander mean - we covered them in first-year torts class. Query whether putting yourself out there as an active advocate on a major public policy issue and testifying before Congress makes you a "public figure."

    Also, this is a dodge from the original point. The fact that someone might actually be a "public figure" - e.g., let's say Laura Ingraham is - does that make it perfectly acceptable to call her a "slut"? Really? That's the distinction? Ed Schultz called her that evidently merely because she's a right-winger.

    The cognitive dissonance here is pretty impressive. There's a huge double standard staring everyone directly in the face, and several here are pedaling like mad to rationalize it away.
    - Bill T.

    "How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

    "Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    46,635

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    The cognitive dissonance here is pretty impressive. There's a huge double standard staring everyone directly in the face, and several here are pedaling like mad to rationalize it away.
    No, there isn't.

    Simply because you can cite anecdotally, an 'opposite incident', does not imply a double standard. I don't much care for Ed Schultz, and don't watch him, but if someone had posted his calling of Laura Ingraham a 'slut', I'd join in the condemnation. As it happens, I have never seen any posting regarding that incident... but it doesn't mean that a 'double standard' exists, it simply means that there are extremists and extreme rhetoric from both sides... and the only truly disingenuous people are the ones who feel a need to say, 'But Mom, he did it first', as a juvenile attempt to deflect the issue.

    When you post something said by a 'liberal' which deserves analogous condemnation, I'll be happy to join in. When you post it only as a reaction (and attempt at deflection) to something a conservative said, I'm going to ignore it.

    In the meanwhile, forget about the mythical 'double standard'. It doesn't exist.
    "Opinions you like, presented to you and others who share your opinions, from someone whose opinion you already know"
    Steven Colbert, commenting on the launch of the Sarah Palin channel




  42. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Simply because you can cite anecdotally, an 'opposite incident', does not imply a double standard.
    It is not the mere existence of "opposite incidents" that I offer as evidence of the double-standard; it is the lack of widespread outrage over it. The left evidently has no problem elevating Bill Maher, Chris Mathews, et al. on a pedestal and pretending they are examples of quality, objective journalism, and when they utter statements about right-wingers that are just as stupid and offensive, there is a convenient silence or glossing-over of it. No wailing and moaning. But let a right-winger say anything at all unflattering about someone on the left, and it's incontrovertible proof of how mean, bigoted and racist all conservatives are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    As it happens, I have never seen any posting regarding that incident... but it doesn't mean that a 'double standard' exists
    Well yeah, it kinda does. Because you DID and DO see people posting all kinds of manufactured outrage over just about anything that spews out of Rush Limbaugh's mouth or Glenn Beck's, or whatever. But you don't see or hear too much about the equally ugly things that come out of the mouths of left-wing pundits, because it apparently isn't that big of a deal to those on the left.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    the only truly disingenuous people are the ones who feel a need to say, 'But Mom, he did it first', as a juvenile attempt to deflect the issue.
    I don't see any deflection going on here. Limbaugh was stupid for saying what he did. What I'm highlighting is the lack of credibilty among the left who are screaming about it, when they didn't utter a peep when left-wing commentators said the exact same types of things about those on the right. And then when I point out those statements, we get all kinds of justification as to why "that's different" and Rush is the only one who should be taken to task for his offensive statement. This is not at all to justify what Rush said or "you did it first" - to the contrary, if it's wrong when Rush did it (which it clearly is), why isn't is also wrong when all those other people did it? Evidently, it's somehow "different" and not AS wrong as what Rush did - hence the existence of a double-standard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    When you post something said by a 'liberal' which deserves analogous condemnation, I'll be happy to join in.
    You mean all of the multiple statements I linked to above by Bill Maher, Chris Mathews, at al. don't count? They don't deserve analogous condemnation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    When you post it only as a reaction (and attempt at deflection) to something a conservative said, I'm going to ignore it.
    Well then you don't need to ignore it this time, because that is not at all why I posted those things. But if it makes it easier for you to live with them and reconcile the double standard, go for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    In the meanwhile, forget about the mythical 'double standard'. It doesn't exist.
    Erm, yeah, it clearly does.
    - Bill T.

    "How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

    "Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    22,713

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    It is not the mere existence of "opposite incidents" that I offer as evidence of the double-standard; it is the lack of widespread outrage over it. The left evidently has no problem elevating Bill Maher, Chris Mathews, et al. on a pedestal and pretending they are examples of quality, objective journalism, and when they utter statements about right-wingers that are just as stupid and offensive, there is a convenient silence or glossing-over of it. No wailing and moaning. But let a right-winger say anything at all unflattering about someone on the left, and it's incontrovertible proof of how mean, bigoted and racist all conservatives are.



    Well yeah, it kinda does. Because you DID and DO see people posting all kinds of manufactured outrage over just about anything that spews out of Rush Limbaugh's mouth or Glenn Beck's, or whatever. But you don't see or hear too much about the equally ugly things that come out of the mouths of left-wing pundits, because it apparently isn't that big of a deal to those on the left.



    I don't see any deflection going on here. Limbaugh was stupid for saying what he did. What I'm highlighting is the lack of credibilty among the left who are screaming about it, when they didn't utter a peep when left-wing commentators said the exact same types of things about those on the right. And then when I point out those statements, we get all kinds of justification as to why "that's different" and Rush is the only one who should be taken to task for his offensive statement. This is not at all to justify what Rush said or "you did it first" - to the contrary, if it's wrong when Rush did it (which it clearly is), why isn't is also wrong when all those other people did it? Evidently, it's somehow "different" and not AS wrong as what Rush did - hence the existence of a double-standard.



    You mean all of the multiple statements I linked to above by Bill Maher, Chris Mathews, at al. don't count? They don't deserve analogous condemnation?



    Well then you don't need to ignore it this time, because that is not at all why I posted those things. But if it makes it easier for you to live with them and reconcile the double standard, go for it.



    Erm, yeah, it clearly does.
    Where/how often does Maher get his facts wrong?

    Where/how often does Jon Stewart get his facts wrong?

    I am trying to get this entire conversation off of the language and the name calling. Limbaugh makes up facts, presents them as facts, to make his bigger point, which is then based on the foundation of falsehoods.

    When Hillary was working on healthcare, he would tell his audience a bunch of made up garbage as to what was in it and then tell his audience why what was in it (according to him) would not work.

    My point as to Limbaugh and Fluke is that her testimony was vastly different than his representation of that testimony. Rush is not stupid. He knew the words would be the issue and he would skate on the lies.

    Threads here prove my point. A firestorm has broken out over his language. It's not the language Romney would have used. He's apologized, sort of, for the language.

    I'm upset by his SOP of making up facts which his audience believes as fact.

    This is what he has done here. Rather than arguing about his representation of the facts, we are continually arguing about the words he used. In doing so, we are convincing his audience that his facts were right.

    All of this energy should be directed at his misrepresentation of her testimony and toward our elected officials. Even if Rush loses all his sponsors, it won't change the votes in the various legislatures around the country.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East of the Sun and West of the Moon
    Posts
    3,748

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    You might look up libel per se and you would understand the issue with Limbaugh's remarks, compared to what amounts to insulting language directed towards a public figure.
    Actually given her public testimony before a Democratic House Committee on TV, she would likely be classified as a public figure and not subject to the libel issue. She has also been on the View and other public arenas. She could certainly sue Rush but would not likely get much traction in court.

    More importantly, how is either any less or more civil?
    * _______________________________________ )

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    10,979

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Concordia 33 View Post
    Actually given her public testimony before a Democratic House Committee on TV, she would likely be classified as a public figure and not subject to the libel issue. She has also been on the View and other public arenas. She could certainly sue Rush but would not likely get much traction in court.

    More importantly, how is either any less or more civil?
    Civility has nothing to do with libel, and the public figure defense doesn't work against libel per se. It is more a question of whether or not a public figure feels it is worthwhile to sue. Also--testimony in a public arena does not make you a public figure--that should be obvious. This stuff is well-known to those in the media, which raises the original question--how he is keeping his job, unlike, say, Don Imus. I think Limbaugh is relying on the kindness of strangers.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East of the Sun and West of the Moon
    Posts
    3,748

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Civility has nothing to do with libel, and the public figure defense doesn't work against libel per se. It is more a question of whether or not a public figure feels it is worthwhile to sue. Also--testimony in a public arena does not make you a public figure--that should be obvious. This stuff is well-known to those in the media, which raises the original question--how he is keeping his job, unlike, say, Don Imus. I think Limbaugh is relying on the kindness of strangers.
    Again, the issue isn't libel, but if it were - the fact that she is a public figure insulates others from her suing them for libel. And it was not me but someone else that raised the issue of libel in the first place. My point is that whether or not someone has been libeled really isn't the issue - the issue is civility, and a libelous statement is no more or less civil than some of the stuff that gets thrown around in the bilge. As for Don Imus...I think he got a bad deal with the media. He is a shock jock every bit as much as howard Stern or Mancow - they all say offensive things and mean them to be said in jest. He went for a joke and missed the mark - he apologized almost immediately and I think he tried his best to make up for the mistake. From what little I do know about him, I don't believe he meant any of what he said. I used to listen to his show on the way to work in the morning, and he was most insulting to the people he liked the most, and laughed the hardest when others did the same thing back to him. That is part of the shock jock thing. Likewise, Rush made a huge mistake and though it took him a couple of days to absorb the impact of it, it sounds like he "gets it". President Obama inadvertently referred to Jews as Janitors and given his treatment of Israel, it doesn't help, but it was an obvious slip of the tongue. Should we all go on a rampage about that too?
    * _______________________________________ )

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    22,713

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    Translation: yes, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to conservative women as c*nts and bitches, but incredibly offensive and outrageous to use any misogynistic or denigrating term towards a liberal woman.

    OK, thanks for the clarification.
    It's not okay either way, but I don't recall any liberal doing so.

    Where you lose me, if not the others, is comparing the way we treated Palin and Bachmann to the way Rush is treating Fluke. He has his facts all mixed up, intentionally, to denegrate Fluke. Bachmann and Palin pretty well do that to themselves. Look how many facts of history Bachmann got wrong, or Palin not knowing the Bush Doctrine.

    Fluke got all her facts correct. That, to me, is a significant difference.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17,666

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    It's not okay either way, but I don't recall any liberal doing so.

    Where you lose me, if not the others, is comparing the way we treated Palin and Bachmann to the way Rush is treating Fluke. He has his facts all mixed up, intentionally, to denegrate Fluke. Bachmann and Palin pretty well do that to themselves. Look how many facts of history Bachmann got wrong, or Palin not knowing the Bush Doctrine.

    Fluke got all her facts correct. That, to me, is a significant difference.
    palin didn't even know what she read but it was all of them

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northwest Oregon coast
    Posts
    14,512

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    It's not okay either way, but I don't recall any liberal doing so.

    Where you lose me, if not the others, is comparing the way we treated Palin and Bachmann to the way Rush is treating Fluke. He has his facts all mixed up, intentionally, to denegrate Fluke. Bachmann and Palin pretty well do that to themselves. Look how many facts of history Bachmann got wrong, or Palin not knowing the Bush Doctrine.

    Fluke got all her facts correct. That, to me, is a significant difference.
    .

    Charlie Gibson's Gaffe

    Network News

    X Profile


    View More Activity




    TOOLBOX
    Resize
    Print
    E-mail
    Reprints



    By Charles Krauthammer
    Saturday, September 13, 2008


    "At times visibly nervous . . . Ms. Palin most visibly stumbled when she was asked by Mr. Gibson if she agreed with the Bush doctrine. Ms. Palin did not seem to know what he was talking about. Mr. Gibson, sounding like an impatient teacher, informed her that it meant the right of 'anticipatory self-defense.' "
    -- New York Times, Sept. 12
    Informed her? Rubbish.
    The New York Times got it wrong. And Charlie Gibson got it wrong.
    There is no single meaning of the Bush doctrine. In fact, there have been four distinct meanings, each one succeeding another over the eight years of this administration -- and the one Charlie Gibson cited is not the one in common usage today. It is utterly different.
    He asked Palin, "Do you agree with the Bush doctrine?"
    She responded, quite sensibly to a question that is ambiguous, "In what respect, Charlie?"
    Sensing his "gotcha" moment, Gibson refused to tell her. After making her fish for the answer, Gibson grudgingly explained to the moose-hunting rube that the Bush doctrine "is that we have the right of anticipatory self-defense."

    Ad Choices

    Wrong.
    I know something about the subject because, as the Wikipedia entry on the Bush doctrine notes, I was the first to use the term. In the cover essay of the June 4, 2001, issue of the Weekly Standard entitled, "The Bush Doctrine: ABM, Kyoto, and the New American Unilateralism," I suggested that the Bush administration policies of unilaterally withdrawing from the ABM treaty and rejecting the Kyoto protocol, together with others, amounted to a radical change in foreign policy that should be called the Bush doctrine.
    Then came 9/11, and that notion was immediately superseded by the advent of the war on terror. In his address to the joint session of Congress nine days after 9/11, President Bush declared: "Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists. From this day forward any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime." This "with us or against us" policy regarding terror -- first deployed against Pakistan when Secretary of State Colin Powell gave President Musharraf that seven-point ultimatum to end support for the Taliban and support our attack on Afghanistan -- became the essence of the Bush doctrine.
    Until Iraq. A year later, when the Iraq war was looming, Bush offered his major justification by enunciating a doctrine of preemptive war. This is the one Charlie Gibson thinks is the Bush doctrine.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northwest Oregon coast
    Posts
    14,512

    Default Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

    It's not. It's the third in a series and was superseded by the fourth and current definition of the Bush doctrine, the most sweeping formulation of the Bush approach to foreign policy and the one that most clearly and distinctively defines the Bush years: the idea that the fundamental mission of American foreign policy is to spread democracy throughout the world. It was most dramatically enunciated in Bush's second inaugural address: "The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands. The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the world."
    This declaration of a sweeping, universal American freedom agenda was consciously meant to echo John Kennedy's pledge in his inaugural address that the United States "shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty." It draws also from the Truman doctrine of March 1947 and from Wilson's 14 points.
    If I were in any public foreign policy debate today, and my adversary were to raise the Bush doctrine, both I and the audience would assume -- unless my interlocutor annotated the reference otherwise -- that he was speaking about the grandly proclaimed (and widely attacked) freedom agenda of the Bush administration.
    Not the Gibson doctrine of preemption.
    Not the "with us or against us" no-neutrality-is-permitted policy of the immediate post-9/11 days.
    Not the unilateralism that characterized the pre-9/11 first year of the Bush administration.

    Ad Choices

    Presidential doctrines are inherently malleable and difficult to define. The only fixed "doctrines" in American history are the Monroe and the Truman doctrines which come out of single presidential statements during administrations where there were few other contradictory or conflicting foreign policy crosscurrents.
    Such is not the case with the Bush doctrine.
    Yes, Sarah Palin didn't know what it is. But neither does Charlie Gibson. And at least she didn't pretend to know -- while he looked down his nose and over his glasses with weary disdain, sighing and "sounding like an impatient teacher," as the Times noted. In doing so, he captured perfectly the establishment snobbery and intellectual condescension that has characterized the chattering classes' reaction to the mother of five who presumes to play on their stage.
    letters@charleskrauthammer.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •