Thread: curious horizonatlly curved metal mainsheet horse on 100 year old boat

Default curious horizontally curved metal mainsheet horse on 100 year old boat

It is funny how long it takes to notice certain things

three years ago I filmed a 100 year old boat that was still sailing on the Walton Backwaters

as I was re-uploading the films in HD I looked at the rig and noticed that it has a wonderfully shiort mast and an elegantly curved metal horse for the mainsheet

while out on the bike the other day I started wondering if the two design features are related in any way

the film is here but I will upload it to youtube this week

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/ktl...ar-old-whaler/

Dylan

note to self... must remember to proof read thread heads before clicking button
    Last edited by dylan winter; 03-06-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Default Re: curious horizonatlly curved metal mainsheet horse on 100 year old boat

I think its curved to keep the sheet block away from the helmsman's head. The block is pretty far forward on the boom, in many boats with long booms and horses the block is behind the helmsmans head, so there is no chance of a tangle. At 1:45 it appears that the block is forward of the helmsmans head, or maybe more or less over it, if the horse was low and flat the sheet would have more opportunities to wrap around the helmsman. It also provides plenty of room for the tiller, and its pretty.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Default Re: curious horizonatlly curved metal mainsheet horse on 100 year old boat

I believe the deck horse that carries the lower sheet block, is shaped in order to allow the tiller to swing, both athwart ship and vertically to its normal limits, and fit on deck with a wide enough base to be effective, that is, carry the forces involved and is not at all connected to the mast height, boom placement or length.
    A not uncommon arrangement, I believe, on sailboats that have both outboard rudders and tillers.

Not so very different to Peerie Maas
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    now that I look a second time the shape is not as extreme as I thought

I am still not sure why the shape though

and why it deviates from the vertical

a simple anchor point on either side of the tiller would do just as well

I wonder if the forward slope is not the way it started and was more upright when it was first built

Nick.... why is yours better than just two simple anchor points

Dylan
    Last edited by dylan winter; 03-06-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan winter View Post
    Nick.... why is yours better than just two simple anchor points

Dylan
    The tiller can go way over outside the local width of the boat, and the stops worked into the horse control the sheeting angle by preventing the sheet block going too far out to the side.
    Not sure that a rope horse secured to the sheer would allow either if that is what you are comparing with.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.