Thread: Looking for old outboard water pump impeller

Default Looking for old outboard water pump impeller

My brother bought his first engine yesterday, a johnson 2.5 I believe to be from the late 1940s at an aomci meet. It is one of the old two cylinder "green egg" motors, without a neutral clutch. It turns over smoothly and I can easily feel the crankcase compression when turning the propeller by hand (sparkplugs not in) and my brother wants me to bring it to running condition and I intend to do so.

I have been made aware that Fox Grips makes them but does not have a website.

I have done some online research and found these websites.

Flying Scott's Impellers
    http://home.earthlink.net/~flyingscott/

and (warning, minor popups sometimes) Pat and Jon Koranda
    http://johnsonseahorse.tripod.com/index.html

Any advice and has anyone bought from either of these folks before, on another forum someone bought successfully from the latter but that was about a year ago.

I do know to use 16/1 mix with oil meant for water cooled 2 strokes instead of say modern motorcycle/chainsaw oil and do have a local reliable source for it.

How hard are the carburetors on these things to work on. I did not have fun overhauling a 2 jet walboro on a 6 hp tecumeh snowblower engine.

Default Re: Looking for old outboard water pump impeller

I cant help you directly, but have found a lot of collective knowledge about outboards on the www.iboats.com forums if you havent tried them already.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

You can get many parts for old outboards at places like NAPA auto stores. Go to the desk and ask for the marine catalog. Sierra in the Pacific Northwest is another source. Your local guys in the Antique Outboard Motor Club can probably steer you to reliable sources. www.aomci.org has a discussion forum too.

Andreas

"Don't tell me that I can't. Tell me how I can!"
    Ike
    New Boatbuilders Home Page
    Boat Building News BLOG

First off, any searches for parts you do will require the the motor's model number to ascertain EXACTLY the model and year.
    Since it turns over and the plug holes are open you could do yourself a favor and take a compression check. When compression pressures get down around 60 lb. starting can be a problem.
    It's important to know how old this thing is because the old point ignitions rely on ignition coils that can deteriorate with age.
    It's important to know how old this thing is because at one time the center bearings on the cranks were bronze bushings which needs a flood of oil to stay alive. Once you get into the era of all ball and roller bearing construction the motor can get by with a lot less than 16:1.
    Also 16:1 was required when two-stroke motors were all run on four-stoke oil. Modern two-stoke oil should keep your motor happy at 32-40:1
    I know all this because I have a 2.5 HP Johnson Seahorse model HD15. This same model with different model numbers was made from about 1938 till about 1952.
    What model do you have?

These folks on Maryland's eastern shore can probably help you:

http://www.americanoutboard.com/