Thread: Dental Pain

Default Dental Pain

Generally I'm pretty pain tolerant. But, there's one thing that just brings me to my knees though and that's a severe toothache. I began having the twinges of a toothache late this week. Went to the dentist Friday morning , was sent to an endodontrist, who tells me I have an abscess in a tooth in which I've already had a root canal done about four years ago. He doesn't want to drill it out until the swelling goes down so he prescribes an antibiotic and some pain pills. This ******'s getting worse. I'm popping Vicodin left and right with no relief. Haven't slept in a few days now. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 03-04-2012 at 07:06 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: Dental Pain

So now we know why you're up at this hour.

Which tooth?

#30. Lots of referred pain through my temple, ear and upper jaw

Lessee, lower right first molar. Ouch.

If it's any consolation, I got one on the other side grumblin'. They should have started Obamacare as a universal dental program.

make sure the doc gave you the right anti biotics. ordinary amoxil wont do it.
    I had this a couple of months back. My doc gave me a script for some powerful AB's
    Swelling and pain started going within 6 hours or so.

It will prolly give you oral thrush though I didm't need any further dental work after.

This is a hard pain to control before the dentist gets to work. I suggest:
    1. Aspirin.
    2. +Tylenol or Ibuprofin.
    3. + over the counter Lidocaine prep applied on the affected tooth area. This is cocaine, essentially.

I would add drinking clear distilled beverages but they may react with 1-3 above. You could try clear distilled beverages without steps 1-3.

Hang on tight until you get to the dentist.
    "Whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting over." -Samuel Clemens

I'm a little better this morning. Just a little, but its a great improvement over 2:00 am last night. . .

With you man, I have so many busted teeth its an ongoing issue. About reached my limit and figuring almost time to go dentures. Never had a root canal that took and figure its whack science we will hear about down the road. When the abcess happens try rinsing with colloidal silver a few times each day. For some reason when I do this the swelling goes down much faster. I got one coming out next week that I got busted in my twenty's. Repairs held for that long so I am ahead I figure. Front ones are mostly fake an about the only ones holding their own now. My Gf jokes with me about getting a grill in gold or silver. Got to start listening to more hip hop first.

Everything hurts more at 2:00 a.m.

Oh, no fun! That is one thing I've read about root canals, rarely is the infection killed off in the tooth. Some believe it's better to have it pulled instead of leaving the tooth in the mouth. When a part of the body dies, we tend to have it removed to prevent infection from spreading in the body - except with teeth for some reason.

Something that might be of help for the future in preventing further dental infections are these ideas. Personally, I used to develop cavities frequently, and have a few root canals myself. Once I began taking 6000ius of vitamin D2, taking a supplement and eating food rich in vitamin K2, and eating low carb/avoiding wheat five years ago I stopped developing cavities all together. My dentist was surprised. He didn't think it possible to re-mineralize teeth.

Good luck!

"Dr. Mellanby's Tooth Decay Reversal Diet"

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...rsal-diet.html

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
    Some believe it's better to have it pulled instead of leaving the tooth in the mouth. When a part of the body dies, we tend to have it removed to prevent infection from spreading in the body - except with teeth for some reason.
    I like keeping mine as long as possible.

Seriously, there does exist a correlation between longevity, overall health, and quality of life and having as many of your natural teeth in good condition in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I like keeping mine as long as possible.

Seriously, there does exist a correlation between longevity, overall health, and quality of life and having as many of your natural teeth in good condition in your mouth.
    I know there is a correlation between dental infections and Heart Attack. If the dentist is dragging feet I just have to mention I have had three and I get right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden View Post
    I know there is a correlation between dental infections and Heart Attack. If the dentist is dragging feet I just have to mention I have had three and I get right in.

LOL. A lot of that relationship is as result of the dental work.

Dunno, It was a dentist who told me about it. One refused to treat me so I guess its serious.

Please take this very seriously. I have a heart murmur, and ended up in the hospital on heavy antibiotics after the normal ones didn't stop the tooth infection spreading.(You can look up the tooth-heart correlation.) It was a nice looking tooth too! I ended up getting it pulled. Root canals don't work. They can hold off losing a tooth, but only with a crown. Your better off getting it pulled and an getting an implant, if you can afford it. Get stronger antibiotics-it should have worked in around 6 hours, like Meli said. The infection might be in the jaw bone.

I've had quite a few root canals, only had one get a nasty infection like yours, about this time last year. I have never had pain like that. Vicodin IS your friend.

Poor guy- it's the worst sort of pain I've experienced. When we lived on Lyttelton Harbour I got a bad ache in a gold-crowned molar Friday evening that progressed, even taking more Panadol (tylenol with codeine) than was prudent, to a head-splitting agony. Saturday afternoon we drove over the Dyers Pass to the emergency dentist, who shook his head and prescribed stronger painkillers. Saw my regular dentist on Monday and she gave me a heroic dose of antibiotic and performed a root canal through the gold crown— not easy, but it worked.

Hope you get some relief—

Endodontic pain is considered severe enough that it is the testing ground for painkillers. Cold comfort, that. Amoxil - amoxicillin - is effective but can take a day to work. It is, however relatively benign in it's side effects. Clindamycin can give you pseudo membranous colitis which is a whole 'nother can of worms. Ivehad some some good results with Zithromax lately, though. It's late, I'll get into endo failures later. Nite nite and hope you feel better
    Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package