Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil vs Varnish?

Default Re: Oil vs Varnish?

David - I get your hard boiled egg analogy. But aren't a lot of us bobbing around in eggs these days? Okume and cedar are both very soft and both are commonly sealed with epoxy in plywood and strip construction. True most of us do put some cloth in that coating layer to prevent the very problem you mentioned - bruises. I have some oak trim on a 12 year old skiff I built that I left as bare wood treated with 1/2 turps 1/2 linseed every now and then with furniture polish rubbed on after 24 hours - works well as protecterant but wood is much darker - but you can sand it down easy. a WHOLE lot easier than varnish IMO.

pine tar thinned with turps, tung oil over the top,done right it will never rot.

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    David - I get your hard boiled egg analogy. But aren't a lot of us bobbing around in eggs these days? Okume and cedar are both very soft and both are commonly sealed with epoxy in plywood and strip construction. True most of us do put some cloth in that coating layer to prevent the very problem you mentioned - bruises. I have some oak trim on a 12 year old skiff I built that I left as bare wood treated with 1/2 turps 1/2 linseed every now and then with furniture polish rubbed on after 24 hours - works well as protecterant but wood is much darker - but you can sand it down easy. a WHOLE lot easier than varnish IMO.
    Yes, you've answered your own question. Almost every stripper and a lot of occoume ply boats also receive fabric in the mix. That changes the equation substantially. And - occoume plywood, while a bit soft, is not as soft as a western red cedar plank. Much less of a hard-boiled-egg effect. Also - designers are mixed in their recommendations about putting epoxy resin only over the occoume. Some recommend it. Some don't.

When it comes to a decision about whether to brush on varnish or wipe on something else... we all have to do our cost-benefit analysis. The wipe on choice means more frequent, but much simpler, maintenance. The varnish means less frequent, but more difficult (skilled) maintenance. The varnish protects better against against moisture intrusion and spills of gasoline, alcohol, chemicals, etc. Then factor in what 'look' you prefer. You pays your money and makes your choice. Or... as Pat Ford so cogently puts it - there is no free lunch.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Yes Pete, epoxy needs to be protected from UV with paint or varnish or it will degrade, turn yellow etc.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau