Thread: The Strippers Guide, David Hazen

Default The Strippers Guide, David Hazen

So I bought a copy of The Strippers Guide to Canoe Building on Amazon and it does not have any plans or offsets in it. I only paid $15 but was hoping it was complete, it's not. Anybody have a copy of the plans for the 18' Micmac they want to part with?

Default Re: The Strippers Guide, David Hazen

You should swap the book in at Amazon for a new, complete one. It will have template plans for 3 Micmacs, a couple kayaks.

I didn't know I could swap it.

I helped David Hazen move back in the '70's after he married. I have two copies of the "Strippers Guide" but as they're all in storage at the moment I can't be of immediate help.

I bought the second book when I saw my first set was on cheap newsprint that wasn't going to age well and I planned to someday build me a 14' Micmac. I hate to see that it's thirty odd years and I haven't gotten around to it yet.

http://www.abebooks.com/ is a good source of second hand bookstores that can provide a copy of out of print books. I googled David a year or so back and I know he's still around, but if you can't find him, I have a set of all the templates that I can eventually unearth and help you with.

Given that canoe design began with Native Americans a millenia or so back, I have been pleased to see how many widely experienced canoe builders have put David's Micmac at the top of their list of good all around designs.

Hope I can help.
    Jeff Smith

Hard work pays off in the future. Lazyness pays off now.

Anon.

You certainly can build a Micmac from Hazen's offsets, but you need to know that the state of the art of cedarstrip canoe building has far progressed from Hazen's early work. I suggest you get a copy of Ted Moore's Canoecraft and follow all of the instructions and especially the details in that book and use the rest of the Strippers Guide for a placemat or something. Seriously.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Thanks Ironmule, I'm in no hurry, might take you up on your offer. James, I have Ted's book, and your right about the how much more advanced his book is. The only reason for buying the Strippers Guide was to get plans or offsets for the 18 Micmac, I've read allot of good things about that design.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    You certainly can build a Micmac from Hazen's offsets, but you need to know that the state of the art of cedarstrip canoe building has far progressed from Hazen's early work. I suggest you get a copy of Ted Moore's Canoecraft and follow all of the instructions and especially the details in that book and use the rest of the Strippers Guide for a placemat or something. Seriously.

James, it has moved on from the original edition. However, if you've seen a recent edition (I think it's the 4th edition, now.), Hazen has updated the book to keep up with some of the more up-to-date methods and materials.

I'd pick either Ted Moore's book or Susan Van Leuven's. Susan's is a collection of methods from other books and builders and is dense with information - a little intimidating for a newbie, but I think offering better options in that there si more than one way to approach many points during the building process.
    "Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

Well the Micmac does have a good reputation. There's lots of different designs that can be built cedar strip though. My favorite all-around canoe I've owned was a 16' Mad River Explorer, and I've contemplated building a strip version of that every now and then--though only when the memories of how tedious it is to strip plank aren't too fresh in my memory. I'd much rather build a glued lap version, actually. But I do have a whole bundle of 16' long clear redwood staves salvaged from an old water tank just ready to go, and there's no other good boat building use for such a creature than as the core of a wood-strip small boat. . . . .
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. We built a 16' Micmac from Hazen's book around 1985 and we're getting it ready now for another season - we've found it to be an excellent design on the lake or in up to class 2 white water. Hazen's building method worked fine however, doing it again I would "bead and cove" the strips, I built a smaller canoe that way and the strips were almost self-fairing as a result. Also, on the old Micmac, I eventually peeled off the old, delaminated polyester/glass skin and replace it with epoxy/glass. I don't think anyone would even consider polyester now but I mention it "just in case".

As I recall, the first mould from the stem (on the 16) was a bit undersized on the sides, so we let the strips dictate the shape there, shimming the mould to match, the rest were good. I heard somewhere that others found the same so it's something to watch for but no big deal. If you can't exchange for a book with templates let me know and I can have mine copied.

Jamie

Jamie, copies would be great. As I said my book has none of the templates, offset, plans, ect. Its like some one removed that whole section of the book. I've looked at Amazon for other copies of the book that are intact, but they are quite pricey.

I'm amazed at the number of these boatbuilding books that have gone out of print and are fetching (or trying to fetch) ridiculous prices. I wanted a book that Amazon said was out of print and everybody was charging around $150 and up for used copies. So, I went to Barnes and Noble's website and bought a new copy for $18. Pays to look around.
    "Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

James, please check your PMs.

Jamie

Do any of you have Gil Gilpatricks' books? I have "Building a Strip Canoe"- second edition. Bought it new- cheap- with complete lift out plans for eight strippers. I really like a couple of the models shown. By the way, I asked recently about building a stripper from Douglas Fir and the concensus seems to be that it would be too heavy. I found a list of suitable boat building timbers and their weights in an old American book. WRC was by far the lightest, but Douglas Fir was about average for the other timbers mentioned. What say you people? I have enough old growth, straight grained Fir to build a boat. To buy enough cedar to do the same will cost me well in excess of four hundred dollars- I'd rather spend that on glass and epoxy. JayInOz

An 18' Micmac built to plan will absolutely blow the doors off of a Mad River Explorer in just about every possible way (Kevlar, fiberglass or Royalex versions, it doesn't matter). It's a hell of a lot faster, turns quicker, carries more stuff, runs much drier in big waves and feels more secure when you're in it in rough water (I was a dealer for both and did most of my Wilderness tripping in an 18'x36" Micmac). There is also nothing at all wrong with Hazen's building instructions when you substitute modern epoxy for the polyester he used to use. The method will produce a stripper that's just as current as any other if you're good with a big disk sander. If not, you can always use the slower, but more controlled fairing techniques which are currently common for home-built strippers.

The plan sheets are generally just folded and tucked into the plastic wrapper with the book, so I assume your copy came unwapped. If you do build one and choose to use the standard Kootenay stem (good choice) there is an omission on the current stem plan. The lower corners of the bow and stern stems are different, with the stern stem running a bit deeper to act like a skeg. On the current plan, they forgot to draw the profile of the bow stem in this corner area. I have roughed it in with red ink in the lower center of this copy of the plan. You would want to do similarly.

Thanks Todd, I think I found a copy of The Strippers Guide with the plans, will find out when it gets here. It's was your review of this design that got me interested in it.