Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: State of the Republican Party

Default Re: State of the Republican Party

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbounder View Post
    I like the idea of the first primaries held in small states too. However, I'm starting to think a state such as Delaware or Rhode Island would be a much better choice.
    New Hampshire is too monolithic, with little ethnic and almost zero racial diversity.Even an Asian girl sticks out like a sore thumb in many of the towns. I think a state with a more diverse economy, a better mix of urban/suburban/exurban/rural towns, along with a more balanced population would better serve the primary process.
    I can't say you're wrong. However, NH has it written into the state constitution that it must be first. It will leapfrog any state that gets in front of it. It's nonsense, but can you imagine what might happen? Plus, I will admit there is a Doubting Thomas mentality here that serves the process well.

I suspect his candidacy will set the GOP back a decade or longer.
    From your keyboard to God's ears. That would be very good for the country, and better yet if they recover from Trumpism and return to something like responsible conservatism.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Post to a different thread?
    Although this one does seem oddly familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I can't say you're wrong. However, NH has it written into the state constitution that it must be first. It will leapfrog any state that gets in front of it. It's nonsense, but can you imagine what might happen? Plus, I will admit there is a Doubting Thomas mentality here that serves the process well.
    I believe primary order should change from election to election, perhaps some kind of random drawing.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

A Gingrich-level miscalculation in the works? Hubris on the hoof? Seems entirely possible to me --

What Republicans Should Do With Their Slim House Majority

The temptation for ascendant Republican leaders in the House will be to shrug off all of the criticism coming their way, emphasize that they gained ground for the second cycle in a row, and insist that the American people have given them a clear mandate to implement an agenda diametrically opposed to the one Democrats have pursued for the last two years. That impulse is understandable, given that Democrats passed major spending bills without a single vote from the minority and urged on the most expensive unilateral executive branch action in the nation’s history.

But for a party that does not hold the White House and may not hold the Senate, mandate-thinking can be quite dangerous—especially with such a tenuous hold on the chamber.

Historically, midterm elections are invitations for course corrections rather than mandates to override the sitting administration. If soon-to-be Speaker Kevin McCarthy and his conference act like they have been charged with stopping the Biden administration cold, or even entirely overriding the White House, they can easily alienate the voters who brought them to victory in 2022.

If they are to build on their success in 2024 and beyond, Republicans must bring their constituents’ concerns to the fore as they act as partners in governing. Half a loaf is usually the most any group should hope for, and trying to hold out until the other side utterly capitulates is a recipe for self-destruction.

https://time.com/6234366/republicans-house-majority/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Fair enough assessment in the article. It remains to be seen if more moderate members of the caucus can push the needle toward the center. I think they might need Biden to do the same to have any positive impact in the next 2 years. An inclination he hasn't expressed recently.

I say that because I think politically, they'll still need some cover from some of the more rabid right. Some on the far right certainly aren't talking about anything other than continuing more of the same investigation and impeachment crap that seems political sport these days. If that's how it goes, then they'll be deserving of losing the majority next time around.

Vern

Interesting your 'take' on Biden - I suspect there's been no one who has done more to 'cross the aisle', as a legislator, as President. By MO, McConnell has been.... unreceptive.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Oh, I agree - as a legislator. It's why I could support him, preferably as a younger man. Democrats controlled both houses of congress and he did have to move left to ensure the nomination and continued somewhat to keep the cats together.

Haven't things changed a little though. His polls and the election results seem to indicate to me a demand for change from both sides - a move to where the public is. Last night I was watching Cuomo on a newer or smaller streaming network - News Nation or something. BTW, I find him kind of hard to watch - but he used something like Socially center liberal, fiscally center conservative to describe the electorate. I'm sure I got that wrong, but the point is, right now neither party seems to be with the largest swath of the population.

Granted, becoming more liberal would probably be accurate description of the electorate.

The problem - as I understand it - is McConnells intransigence; 'block all of (their) legislation', regardless of if it was our idea, initially. 'No wins' allowed. Power at all cost. Steal the USSC.

You get the gist.

How, pray tell, does one 'compromise' with that?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I don't have a specific piece of legislation in mind at this time as an example. I was really had the House in mind. The Senate is already necessarily more moderate by design, McConnells intransigence notwithstanding.

I guess I'm wondering aloud if there will be any room for
    bipartisanship, I hope so.

Vern

Vern

I guess I'm wondering aloud if there will be any room for bipartisanship, I hope so.
    I would hope so too, but there is quite a large very radical right-wing faction in the House that has been explicit about rejecting compromise. I just hope they don't crash the world economy by refusing to pass a debt ceiling increase.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Wow, this thread sure is a blast from the past. Bit of a shock seeing Archie's post. And pefjr and Mark and wardd and soundbounder.

One data point: A guy I work with is my standard interview subject in a probably futile attempt to understand the right wing. He's a serious evangelical Christian, a creationist, and pretty far right. Also quite a decent person, in most respects.

Today's Q&A:
    "So what do you think about Mr Trump's plan to run for president again?"
    "I really wish he'd get out of the way."
    "Would you vote for him again if he were the candidate?
    "No."

Richard Feynman

That's the good news.

The bad?

"Hope that DeSantis gets in!"

I don't see much value in bipartisanship anymore; not when one party has tried to overthrow the government. Why join with that? I don't hear the GOP clamor for bipartisanship. Sinema and Manchin have put it on a pedestal for some reason.

Humans do not deserve the earth, some less than others.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Lots of names on the thread that were precovid and not around post....
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    One data point: A guy I work with is my standard interview subject in a probably futile attempt to understand the right wing. He's a serious evangelical Christian, a creationist, and pretty far right. Also quite a decent person, in most respects.

Today's Q&A:
    "No."
    But how many Republicans said the same thing in 2016 and 2020 and voted for him in the end?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post

Today's Q&A:
    "No."
    Western civilization is a compost heap into which one dives with faith in finding the kernel of compassion. Gotta be here somewhere.
    One of Dostoyevsky's favorite words, often used ironically, was "fact" (fakt, a harsh-sounding foreign loan word in the Russian language) . . .

William Mills Todd, Introduction to Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Idiot (1868) Penguin Books edition 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    But how many Republicans said the same thing in 2016 and 2020 and voted for him in the end?
    And before Trump, the Chimp. With the same buyer's remorse. "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

"Life goes on." Sounds like a good thing. Know what it means? Mark my words: in a year you will have to search diligently to find one who will admit to having supported Trump. Find one now who will admit to having supported the Chimp.
    One of Dostoyevsky's favorite words, often used ironically, was "fact" (fakt, a harsh-sounding foreign loan word in the Russian language) . . .

William Mills Todd, Introduction to Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Idiot (1868) Penguin Books edition 2004.

I was at a birthday party last night. Among the guests was a staunch republican who was in a conversation where he voiced the opinion that a pregnant woman should have to carry to term and have the child.

I walked over to him and said something to this affect: If you ever get pregnant I'd support your decision. Meanwhile, I'd ask you to consider why men, who can't get pregnant, feel entitled to force there opinion on women.

Then I walked away. A few minutes later I heard him make a comment about this ought not be a political thing. I decided to simply quitely lieave rather than have an argument, but it seems to me, and I don't want to make this an abortion thread, that it's a political thing because politicians are passing laws about it and the Supreme Court makes decisions on it.

If no one was trying to make it illegal, by law, it would not be political.

I'm a fairly simple person. There are some areas of our lives the government should stay out of, but today's GOP is a strange animal. They want to ban books, but not guns. They don't want our children taught actual history, which goes against the concept of learning from mistakes so as not to repeat them.

The GOP has been threatening for years to repeal and replace Obamacare. They've never even tried to come up with something to replace it with, and that seems a good example of how they like to complain, but fail to offer any solutions to anything they complain about.

It would be good if, in '24, Trump and DeSantis are in the primary as that my put a more moderate person on the '24 ballot.

Meanwhile, it appears the House is eager to investigate Hunter Biden, Joe Biden, and maybe Hillary again.

I'm not at all sure them doing this won't help dems next election.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Find one now who will admit to having supported the Chimp.
    I did, if you're referring to the younger Bush, I said something like 'he had his moments of clarity' in this or another thread - not a ringing endorsement - sure. I certainly would not now, or probably then, put him in the same class as the father, but then GW wasn't running against sparkly unicorns. Gore first, then Kerry, I wouldn't have wanted either at the time.

I was with the President on the message that we were going to go get Bin-Ladin. The elder did his business in Kuwait, then moved on. The younger allowed the Neo-cons to lead him down some golden path of remaking the Middle East in our image. There is considerable agreement at this time, that it was a mistake. Americans can't hide from going along with it all.

Just one issue I know, but the biggest one in retrospect - the one that gives him the biggest black eye. Probably a too long answer to say you found one who supported the President.

Vern

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    And before Trump, the Chimp. With the same buyer's remorse. "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"
    And before the chimp it was Reagan, and before him it was Nixon.
    What is wrong with these people are they illiterate?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    And before the chimp it was Reagan, and before him it was Nixon.
    What is wrong with these people are they illiterate?
    They have an allergy to facts?