Thread: Looking for Joseph Dobler Plans

I want to build a sailboat, and have fallen for "Nootka Sound" by Joseph Dobler. It's a Stitch and Tape 20' beach cruiser featured in Woodenboat No. 127. I understand that Mr Dobler has since passed away. Therefore I am uncomfortable sending to the address listed in the article. Does anyone know where else I can find these plans?

I have looked at many designs, trying to find a boat that I could Build, wouldn't bankrupt me and would provide reasonable camp type accomodations. (Off-centerboard, porto-pottie somewhat hidden, a little place to stretch out, no cramped little cuddy, looks nice. Any other designs out there that might fit that bill?

I would appreciate the help

An archive search revealed the following message:

"Pat Lown
    posted 09-29-99 08:45 AM *** **** **

Last I heard Tom Setum, Joe's son in law, was the contact person for Joe's plans: Tom Setum, 22 Glorieta West, Irvine, CA 92620. Info is from 12/97."

You might try that one. Good luck.

Setum's e-mail address is:

<tjset@ix.netcom.com

Thank you very much!

SUCCESS !!

I am in touch with Tom and will be receiving plans.

This forum is great!

It will be of great help when I start building.

Thanks again

Default Re: Looking for Joseph Dobler Plans

Is there an updated email address for Tom Setum? I just tried the tjset@ix.netcom.com that was listed above - maybe I read it wrong.
    "Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up. by Henry David Thoreau

Hello sailrat
    I've fairly recently bought a number of Dobler's plans from http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans.htm

AFAIK, they were originally offered there as a result of agreements between Chuck Leinweber and Tom Setum.
    More recently (the past few weeks) they are not listed as for sale any longer - but Chuck Leinweber has told me that they will again be available - but in the FREE plans section.

So, look for FREE PLANS (near the bottom of the plans page0 then look for Dobler plans there.
    None are posted yet - be patient, keep checking back once a week. No sense in bothering Cuch for something he's going to provide for free as soon as he can get to it.

Hope that helps.
    Tom Henry

I have a set of plans for Nootka Sound that I purchased from Boatworks. I'm not going to use them, got them just to study . . . if you want a set PM me and lets discuss a good deal for both of us.

Cheers
    Foster