Thread: Lightweight sharpie with leeboards

Default Lightweight sharpie with leeboards

I'm looking for a design for a small lightweight sharpie, under 16', with leeboards and bench seating. I have found some of these elements in a number of boat designs, but no all together. Is there a boat design with all 3 or should I modify a centerboard/dagger board design?

Default Re: Lightweight sharpie with leeboards

Bench seats?

That seems like a somewhat odd detail to specify for a sub 16' sharpie. A sharpie that length is not a very big boat for its size and any of the ones I can think of would almost certainly require you to sit down on the floorboards while sailing to have even a basic level of stability for sailing.

I built and owned several small sharpies in my past. The best of them was a Redmond Whisp. But if you really do require a bench seat, you need a different hull form than a sharpie, one that is much more burdensome for its length.

A Whisp.

Someday if I live long enough I'm going to build my Ross Lillistone Flint plans. Not really a sharpie but you can check the box on the bench seats. It does have a sailing rig available.

http://www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au/

And I always get a kick out of this picture:

I had a 15 x 5 ft sharpie that had side benches, but a conventional centerboard. It was not particularly lightweight, about 400 lbs, I guess. I never weighed it.

It was a Harry Sucher design, from this book: Simplified Boatbuilding: The Flat-Bottom Boat. http://www.amazon.com/Simplified-Boa.../dp/039303173X

Brian

Brian

Installing side benches in a narrow shallow hull usually results in very uncomfortable and cramped seating. One alternative is to install generous side decking. Sitting up on the side decking provides plenty of leg room, and gets your weight further outboard where it's more effective in countering heel. Another advantage is that side decking will greatly stiffen a lightly-built hull.

I have a 14'6" Bolger sharpie (his Pirate Racer). Benches wouldn't work well--not enough room. I usually sail by sitting on the bottom of the boat and leaning against the side deck (very comfy). I can fit two adults that way, or one adult and two small children. The other option is to sit on the side deck--again, comfy, and nice to have a change of position--but the wind has to be about 15 kts and up to hold my weight without heeling to leeward.

I did install a removable bench (athwartships) for rowing, and occasionally sail from there, too. But that takes up so much more room that it's strictly a solo position.

Bench seats in a sharpie this small would be unusual.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

You might want to peruse Jim Michalak's designs. Lots of flat bottoms, leeboards and side mounted dagger boards. Many with cuddy cabins that could be left off. http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/michalak.htm .

Last edited by JimD; 02-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.

I also like Whisp, but I have owned a boat with a thwarp across the hull for the leeboards and it always seem to be in the way. Would it be possible to re-enforce the gunnels for a side mount leeboard?
    I also like Jim Michalak's designs, I think Woobo is close to what I'm looking for.
    What about adding leeboards to a Goat island Skiff(Michael Storer) or a Bay River Skiff(Graham Brynes)?

I sit on the side decks of my skiff while sailing, most comfortable spot to be and hikeing out wich is a must in a small light narrow hull like a little sharpie is actually much easier and more comfortable if you dont have a back rest restricting your movement... as the narrow sharpie heels you will find the back rest and bench seat is trying to push your upper body over into the lee bildge and rather than sitting back on the bench seat you will be straining to keep from sliding off it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2XEY...EsLNhw&lf=plcp

Just curious, why the lee boards, the sharpie hull developed in the US hand in hand with the rise in popularity of the centerboard...

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 02-11-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Last edited by George Ray; 02-11-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

There's the Salt Bay Skiff by Bruce Kingó

Very simple build with a leeboard that slots over the rail. I think it's about 12 feet long and weighs 80-90 pounds.

http://www.brucekingdesign.com/sbs.html

Bolger Surf? *Ducks*
    James D. Maxwell
    Missoula, MT
    Sailing Inland Seas
    Heron #1

Mike Roberts' "Headland Boats" Green Island 15 comes close. Unfortunately, I don't think he sells plans anymore.