A little while ago I had a play with making up some caulking mallets:
which I have finally been able to put to good use caulking the garboard seam of my strip planked H28.
I had shouted myself a #4 caulking iron at the wooden boat show in Tassie last year as the seam is quite wide and this appeared the most suitable for the job, however now that I am doing it I also need a narrower iron for the stern post seam. It's not a big area to do, about 5' either side, so I really just need something pretty basic to do the job.
However, being Sunday I thought I'd have a bit of a play making one up out of whatever I could find laying around the shed for a bit of fun, so here it is:
I started out with a steel peg that the concreters had left here when doing the driveway:
The plan was to slot the end of it for a bit of plate to slide into so I cut it at one of the holes thinking that it would give me a nice start down the centreline, however it was off centre slightly so I cut my own slot about 1/2" doen the end of the piece that I'd cut off.
I cut a corresponding slot for the peg into a bit of flat bar
so that it could slot together quite firmly like this:
get rid of a bit of rust around the edges:
slap on a bit of a weld around the plate:
A washer on the end to broaden the striking surface: