Thread: Making a rough and ready caulking iron

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Default Making a rough and ready caulking iron

A little while ago I had a play with making up some caulking mallets:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...let-for-myself

which I have finally been able to put to good use caulking the garboard seam of my strip planked H28.

I had shouted myself a #4 caulking iron at the wooden boat show in Tassie last year as the seam is quite wide and this appeared the most suitable for the job, however now that I am doing it I also need a narrower iron for the stern post seam. It's not a big area to do, about 5' either side, so I really just need something pretty basic to do the job.

However, being Sunday I thought I'd have a bit of a play making one up out of whatever I could find laying around the shed for a bit of fun, so here it is:

I started out with a steel peg that the concreters had left here when doing the driveway:

The plan was to slot the end of it for a bit of plate to slide into so I cut it at one of the holes thinking that it would give me a nice start down the centreline, however it was off centre slightly so I cut my own slot about 1/2" doen the end of the piece that I'd cut off.

I cut a corresponding slot for the peg into a bit of flat bar

so that it could slot together quite firmly like this:

get rid of a bit of rust around the edges:

slap on a bit of a weld around the plate:

A washer on the end to broaden the striking surface:

Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Default Re: Making a rough and ready caulking iron

With all put together here's what I had:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

However, the focus was on useability and functionality, so time to set to it with a grinder and it didn't take much to knock the edges off and roughly shape it down to this:

I little more grinding and a couple of fine sanding discs and I reckon this is good enough to do the job.

I'm sure that I could get it more uniform and tidier if I spent more time on it but there's no need, it's comfortable in the hand and it works just perfectly for what I need:

I might look a little over tooled with just a garboard seam to caulk, but it's been a bit of fun putting this gear together and working out how to do it.

Here's a shot of the mallets that I finished as well, one from a piece of Blackbean kindly donated by Peter Sibley, the bigger one (my farvourite and the last one that I turned) in a beautiful piece of rosewood, also from Peter, and the other from a piece of "wenge". I have another smaller "wenge" one to finish yet.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Looks like a bought one Greg, nicely done.
    In 1944 a children’s book club sent a volume about penguins to a 10-year-old girl, enclosing a card seeking her opinion.
    She wrote, “This book gives me more information about penguins than I care to have.”
    American diplomat Hugh Gibson called it the finest piece of literary criticism he had ever read.

I used a masonry chisel (the brick splitting type) and ground down the the sharpened edge. Took twenty minutes…

Quote Originally Posted by G.Sherman View Post
    I used a masonry chisel (the brick splitting type) and ground down the the sharpened edge. Took twenty minutes…
    I did think of that, but I still need my bolsters (brick splitting masonry chisels) so they didn't come under the heading of "scrap around the shed" for me.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I just bought one and whacked it into submission....

Beautiful mallets! You must be the only caulker in the world with three mallets and only two irons!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Beautiful mallets! You must be the only caulker in the world with three mallets and only two irons!
    Thanks Bob, sad isn't it, but even more sadly it's four now, I finished the small one last night. Though I certainly wouldn't call myself a caulker, one garboard seam would not a caulker make............. I suspect.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Great work Greg!
    “For masterpieces are not single and solitary births; they are the outcome of many years of thinking in common, of thinking by the body of the people, so that the experience of the mass is behind the single voice.” Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93