Thread: Door skin source ????

Default Door skin source ????

Several times I have read about people writing about using door skins to make models of a boat, BUT where do you get DOOR SKINS ???

Default Re: Door skin source ????

Any Home Depot or lumberyard. It is just very thin, very cheap Luan plywood.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.

First you catch a door...

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    First you catch a door...
    Gonna need a very sharp knife <G>

Seriously... any lumberyard - even the big box stores.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

All of the big box stores that I have ever seen carry luan in a nominal 7/32", passing it of as 1/4". I think that it is 5.2mm. That is not what I would consider a door skin.
    Steve Martinsen

Doorskins are pretty common...any lumberyard worth their salt can get them. The last ones I bought were I think 6 bucks each. I'm building a male mould right now with doorskins for a fiberglass hardtop for my sidecar...a 1in. rip can take a pretty hard bend, especially when you combine 2 for strength. I have also used them for laminated rails on small 'glass skiffs, and because the core soaks up the epoxy they last a long time.

Lowes and Home Depot do not sell door skins.

Try an ACE Hardware that also has a lumberyard..that's where I buy mine...

I get mine at the town dump, where there's a virtually unlimited supply.

I used to get doorskin at one of the big box stores, I think it was Home Depot. It wasn't just cheap paneling. It was an odd size, a little bigger than a door, maybe 38 x 82" and was made with a fiberglass scrim or some such stuff in one of the glue layers. It was quite tough and fairly inexpensive. It wasn't kept with the lumber and plywood, but with the doors over in the door section.

Coincidentally, I bought a doorskin at Lowes last week--1/8 luann ext ply,which I used to get a shape out for the wasboards on my Coquina... It was about $11, and they did not have it in the lumber section. Rather, it was on a floor shelf in the screen door section. The employees did not know what I was talking about when I asked for a doorskin. I am sure HD has them too. I would look in the door section.

If you are planning on using it for making templates, depending on the application, you may want to consider another option. Most of the time I now use foamcore board instead. It is available many more places and is cheap. Our local Wallgreen's, Ace Hardware, and Dollar Store all have it. It is not as strong as doorskin, but it has the advantage of being able to be cut in place with a razor knife. usually I cut it into strips about 3 inches wide and make my template out of these strips by trimming them with a razor knife and gluing them together with a hot melt glue gun. This assembly is strong enough to take off the boat and use to trace and cut the wood piece. If it is a really critical measurement, sometimes I first make a foamcore template that is almost exact, then use this to help make a doorskin template that is exact.