Thread: 24' skoota

Default 24' skoota

I have been all over Richard's site looking for the 24' Skoota, it's mentioned but he has it as a pdf file and I'm on a notebook, means the accept button is below my screen and can't get pdfs.

Does anyone have any interior shots of a skoota, any build threads?

Richard, I know ya made this for us newbies to building with those flat sheets, but what's the build time and what's it usually cost to get a Skoota 24 wet, without engine, fuel tank and steering hardware, the shell?

It's a very tempting....but I'm thinking it might be too much for a first build. Everyone who reads my silly questions knows I'm pretty sold on getting an existing boat as opposed to build, but I can't find an existing boat for myself.....the older cats I have found are just too far away, seems modifying an existing boat might be a problem too. So, bear with me....Thanks!

And Ray, you need a small motor cat! LOL

Default Re: 24' skoota

I don't beleive there are any pdf links for the 24' cat. Richard has lots of stuff online about the 20 and a PDF of the 36' cat though. Maybe email him for details about what might be different?

Dan

Thanks Dan, I thought of that after I posted this, shoulda'

I'm trying to nail this down, been at it a long time as you know. I was reviewing previous posts and at the beginning, you suggested a tri, asking if that wouldn't work for me. It would. That's what I was getting at with my last question about it, converting an existing boat using the amas to provide a level ride. Exactly how I'd cut into an existing boat, I'm not sure, ..I'd hate to try,,,but I could drill holes...

I don't really understand tris as well as monos or even cats, some have the amas burried at all times, like lager power types and most appear to dip in when heeling and I don't know why they are faster except the main hull is narrower...anyway, not the issue here.

The other thing is building three hulls, 3X the work...almost, but a tri is still in the running so to speak.

I just watched Skoota and having never found any interior pics, have no idea what it would be like....

Hoping an owner or Richard has more info on it....I also hate to bother Richard for him to answer another email. I sure get gets tons of them....Thanks

Thank you for your interest in my Skoota 24. As you may know it was my entry in a recent WB competition. Quite a number of Skoota 20's and 24's are now building. The first Skoota 28 starts next week, and the first Skoota 36 on March 1st. So I am afraid I have been too busy drawing to update my website

Having said that, you will see a photo of four adults sitting comfortably in the Skoota 20 saloon on my Latest News page. Scroll down to the July section.

And if you follow the links from my home page to Designs, then Powercats and download the pdf studyplan linked on that page you will see it includes details of the Skoota 20 and 24 as well as brief notes on the 36. The 31 mentioned there has morphed into the 28. Also in the pdf you will see photos of the build. Not sure why you cannot download it, I downloaded it OK a minute ago. Email me (not a PM) and I'll email you a copy

You're right, I do get a lot of emails. That's one reason why I've been working 70 hour weeks since December and not had a day off so far this year. Maybe I got it coming to me, as I have spent the last 10 winters tropical cruising. This is my first winter on land since 2001

I wouldn't have a trimaran powerboat. You don't just motor them. You have to come alongside and that is really tricky to do when you cannot get to the bows to fend off. The acid test I always use "Can my mother get on board"

Hope that helps

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

If I knew how to attach photos to a message (Pasting doesn't work, nor does Insert image - I'm only trying to upload a 14Kb image), I'd show the a picture of a Skoota hull on the roof of a car.

It shows the light weight and basic construction. We had the hull professionally built in Canada while we were sailing in the Bahamas. We paid an hourly rate and we paid for 92 hours including the delivery for what you would see if you could.

So I'm afraid you'll have to go to my website again, and go to the Year Review pages and then to 2010 and scroll down. You'll see it there

Thanks Richard, maybe it's karma, you having to work and all, LOL, but it beats the alternative!

I'm on a notebook, not a full screen, so when the accept button is at the bottom of the "agreement" you can't see it to click it, it's not your site, it's this thing.

I will try to take a close look at the 28 as well, while that is getting big for me to trailer, it will certainly be an option, the more livable, the better.

Very good point with your acid test, lol, come to think about it, while I could climb on, the GF would probably fall in! A deck would be necessary for a tri....Another point would be how awkward it might be in a marina too, may need to fold up while underway. Hmmm?

Anyway, I'll get another computer and study those, thanks again. I guess you meant your email through your site.....will do!

I have been studying the Skoota pdf especially the 24. The main thing holding me back from ordering the plans is the lack of a wheelhouse. One of the main reasons for going to a powerboat is the more likely protection offered by a covered pilot station. I am in Southeast Alaska and getting older and would really like at least a windscreen with hard windows and a roof. I have been trying to imagine a 24' Skoota with a hard dodger. Sitting headroom would be all right.

The first person to buy Skoota 20 plans was a fisherman from Prince Rupert.

You will have seen the 2011 photos of our Skoota with the bimini fitted. That should give you an idea of what a wheel house version would look like. Fortunately the weather in the Georgia Strait, where we motored our Skoota, is much milder than it is north of Seymour Narrows

I haven't drawn a wheel house yet, in part because of the difficulty of getting into the cockpit with the wheel house fitted

I was looking at them in the same manner as well. I must be missing something as I don't see a hard doger/top and windshield encumbering entry, but then I don't mind stooping either....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard of Woods Designs View Post
    The first person to buy Skoota 20 plans was a fisherman from Prince Rupert.

You will have seen the 2011 photos of our Skoota with the bimini fitted. That should give you an idea of what a wheel house version would look like. Fortunately the weather in the Georgia Strait, where we motored our Skoota, is much milder than it is north of Seymour Narrows

I haven't drawn a wheel house yet, in part because of the difficulty of getting into the cockpit with the wheel house fitted

Richard, since the photos are already hosted on your site, right click on the photo and copy the file name that should end in .jpg, come over to the forum in amother window and click on the photo tab, put the url in the window that says from url, paste the file name in the box, and uncheck the box. It should end up like this:

Richard, could the additional removable cuddies be placed on the Scoota like they are on the ply Wizard and Sango?
    Perhaps the head could go in one of the hulls rather than living with the head in with the sleeping quarters.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan St Gean; 01-27-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Richard, Skoota is a very intriguing design. I've owned a 27 foot pontoon boat for years and have really enjoyed it. Your pointed out the problem with them in your design discussion, namely how inefficient they are. You seem to have come up with good solution. I rather suspect a lot of the efficiency is due to being lighter weight than a typical 'toon. Mine weighs almost 4000# and needs 115 gas-sucking HP to make 20 knots. Being able to make 15 knots on 25 HP sounds very attractive indeed. Now that gas is >$4/gallon, my boat is for sale and Skoota is really looking very attractive. I'd want a 24'er without the after cabin I think. It's a lot warmer here than it is in PNW and deck space is much more useful than enclosed space.

Have you sorted out a proper trailer yet? I'm a little curious how deep you need to be able to immerse the trailer to get the boat floating. It worries me that it will be like launching a fixed keel sailboat since it does not appear you can unfold ane refold the boat once it is already floating. I t does appear you need a very long and very deep ramp. That might be a liability in some areas.

Just to the ramp/trailer issue, I had a 24' power cuddy @ 5,000# and we have some short ramps. I rigged a block under the trailer at the back and ran a line from the winch back and then forward to the bow. I didn't have to get the whole boat floating off the trailer putting my wheels off the ramp in holes, just enough to float the stern and winched it off. Good point on these fold out cats, since Skoota (or other cats) are lighter, maybe that method would help at the ramp.

In reference to the pilot house issue I have realized that a steering/control station could be located inside the forward house on the 24. There would be good visibility forward and I don't need the two berths. The starboard berth space could be converted to a helm and seat plus space for a slightly larger galley and storage.

How would that work for ya when docking, maybe tossing the gas jockey a line? I'd rather see a hard doger for protection, a canvas rear cover so I could reach outside and toss a line while at the helm. I'd also like to be able to get to my engine fairly quickly, just in case I realized that I was on top of something hard. like a sunken propane tank or whatever (really, a sandbar lol) so I could raise the motor as I was floating over.

I bet Richard wouldn't mind redecorating the interior as long as it was still fairly balanced out. I have not seen interior pics.

Here is a crazy idea for ya. Build the cabin so that the hulls can be detached and slide it on a flat bed trailer, then go camping! The perfect teardrop on cat hulls !

I don't think it would be much different than the boat I have now, 23' Clippercraft with an extended cabin. When docking you have to stand up, go to the back of the house, through the door and into the cockpit. It would be the same in the Skoota with a forward steering station. Also it is relatively easy to have two steering stations though more costly.

Now, two stations, that's really up town in tall cotton!

Something I noticed in the above pic, the hulls appear to be flat, no rocker or dead rise and the one showing the hulls on the hard at Richard's site is different at the bow.

Now, for a small power cat, can we have a flat hull full displacement hull like the one above? If so, that makes me more confidence in a build. While I've never built anything like that, I can certainly see myself doing so, flat would be great!

Richard, where are ya? LOL.....Or anyone???

Here I am, as I said I am busy drawing.

The video clip of our Skoota launching is the only one I have, but it was all a bit of a disaster really

It was the first time we ever tried launching the Skoota, our old trailer is a real lash up, and that’s why we were being very cautious as we let it roll into the water. A soft mud bottom didn‘t help. Then the trailer winch broke, well I said it was an old trailer, so we couldn’t lower the trailer as planned. Instead we had to back the trailer to its full depth.

The trailer design calls for hinging brackets so that as the hulls unfold/fold the boat can be lowered down, thus needing shallower water. It's the same basic system as I have used on my sailing catamarans like Wizard and Sango for the last 20 years.

As far as build time goes, a Wizard builder building the hard chine hull version has just posted on my own forum. He has taken 275 hours to build a hull, most of a cuddy, as well as boards and rudders (not needed on a powercat of course)

I'm not sure what this comment means

"Something I noticed in the above pic, the hulls appear to be flat, no rocker or dead rise and the one showing the hulls on the hard at Richard's site is different at the bow."

The Skoota hulls are asymmetric, the chine is only on the outer side. They do have rocker and are flat panel plywood. As are the decks. There are no curves anywhere on the boat

On my Latest News I show the cockpit tent we use. That holds the portapotti, the tent gave enough privacy for us to use it in a busy marina last year. If you want a separate inside toilet you'll have to go for the Skoota 24 or the Skoota 28. (The Skoota 20 is really only just over 19ft long)

If you go back through my Yearly Reviews you'll see we had a small central cabin on our 25ft Merlin (sailing) catamaran. We would remove this for racing and it fitted in the bed of our pickup truck. We spent several nights "on board" sleeping in the cuddy on the truck. We have also slept in the cuddy of the Wizard when parked by the side of the road.

I know you're bored with me saying it. But gas in the UK has been USD10 a gallon for years, so I don't design boats that use big engines.

I'll post this now, and then try to post some photos

4 adults in the Skoota cabin. The bare knees belong to a 200lb guy. This trip we were on board for a week

Skoota tent. We spent 3 weeks last summer cruising on board. From Saturna Island to Princess Louisa/Chatterbox Falls and beyond. Averaged 9 knots and 9mpg

Skoota hull on a car

This is our Merlin cuddy on our truck. A bit awkward to get into with the hatch at the front, (we move the cuddy right to the back when we are not driving to make it easier) but much easier to get it on/off the boat onto the truck this way round with just my wife and I. It's made from 4mm plywood and weighs under 100 lbs

Clearly photos now seem to work - thanks Dan

Last edited by Richard of Woods Designs; 01-31-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks Richard,

We posted at about the same time, thanks for the pics, looks great. Those hulls appear to be much deeper than I had thought...

basically asking about the difference in the hulls of the boat abouve and another Skoota on your site, the chines at the bow, one has and the other does not have the chined bottom. The boat above appears to have a flat bottom, perhaps with some rocker, but not much of a rise at the bow. If there isn't much bending it would be easier for me I think to build.

How difficult is it to remove the hulls from the cabin? Looks like they may not. I have a flat bed trailer, just thinking of trailering options....
    Last edited by Wavewacker; 01-31-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: update

The Skoota 20, 24 and 28 all have similar asymmetric hulls and are built in plywood. The Skoota 36 has chined symmetric hulls and is built in foam sandwich

You can get the hulls off the cuddy in 10 minutes max. Maybe less. There are four 5/16in pivot bolts to pull out. One vertical aft beam nut to undo and two horizontal locking bolts to pull out.

The cuddy and cockpit are one structural member. We built those several years ago, long before we had built the hulls. You can see the cuddy in the Strike building photos to one side of our garage.

We had just the metal "goal post" frames made for our Skoota. They fitted on our old flat bed trailer held in place with 2 x4's (as always) and 6in bolts. We sold our own Skoota 20 last September (the money from that is helping fund the Skoota 28 currently being built in the PNW). The new owner arrived with his truck and flat bed trailer on Saturna Island BC on Tuesday afternoon. We went for a trial motor and did the paper work.

Wednesday morning Cameron and I took the frame off our trailer and fitted it to the new owners trailer using the same 2x4's and bolts. Wednesday afternoon we put the boat on the new trailer. Thursday morning it left on the 6am ferry heading for Belize. We heard a week later the new owner had driven it to Florida where it was waiting for a ship to take it to Belize. The original idea was to drive through Mexico, but probably wisely, that was changed to the new route.

So a long answer to say: Taking the hulls off the cuddy is quick and easy. And a flat bed trailer can easily be modified to take the supports for the Skoota

Thanks again Richard, that makes Skoota a versitle boat! So, I suppose it really is safe for getting off shore and a trip to the Bahamas from Florida would not be out of the question?

I've just been looking for a light weight Power Catamaran with good accommodations like the Skoota 24 ,so many of the comments above have been helpful ,thanks!
    The Trailer looks a bit complicated ,I have photos of it ,would anyone have any measurements of the Trailer ?
    Nice to know the Hulls can be fairly easily removed from the Center Cuddy ... Thinking of maybe building one of these....hmmm