Thread: The Lawton Tender 10ft

Default The Lawton Tender 10ft

Im thinking of ordering the lawton tender 10ft row boat from newfound woodworks but want to know a few things 1st before i decided to buy it. Its a choice between this another boat but im still considering designing my own but thats a whole different thread,lol.

Im wanting to know does the lawton tender plans come like gill gillpatricks canoe plans where all i have to do is trace them then lay onto the ply and cut or would they come with all the measurements and i have to draw them onto paper before i lay on the ply.

Im also wanting to know can i extend the stations a cple of inches so i can have a bigger boat because im really looking a 12 or 14ft in this shape.

Ive just noticed that he sells some tools for the build and im wanting to know are the router bits any good. The reason im asking this is because he sells both for $38 but when i look around elsewhere they are that price for 1. I want to know are his good quality or will they blunt very easy or even burn the wood.

Here below is a clip of what kind of design ill be putting on my boat. Would i be best to make this design as in cut the triangles out and glue them to the other parts and leave for a day then put it on as one strip or would it be easyier to put the triangles on while im striping the boat.

Last edited by mrxireland; 01-24-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Default Re: The Lawton Tender 10ft

Lines and plans for a lapstrake version of this boat are in John Gardner's book _Building Classic Small Craft Volume 2_ (and in the newer book combining volumes 1 and 2 into a single book). This is undoubtably the source of the lines that the Newfound strip version is based on. In that same book is a similar 12' yacht tender from Lawleys, another bygone builder of fine craft. Again, this is a lapstrake boat, but if you are comfortable building a stripper boat with just a lines plan (with offsets), then this may be all you need.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dredbob View Post
    Lines and plans for a lapstrake version of this boat are in John Gardner's book _Building Classic Small Craft Volume 2_ (and in the newer book combining volumes 1 and 2 into a single book). This is undoubtably the source of the lines that the Newfound strip version is based on. In that same book is a similar 12' yacht tender from Lawleys, another bygone builder of fine craft. Again, this is a lapstrake boat, but if you are comfortable building a stripper boat with just a lines plan (with offsets), then this may be all you need.

Bob
    If this is the book you are talking about , i have it but dont really understand most of it. Id really need something that i can trace over and put down on ply so i can draw around it for the stations. Is it possible to make a cedar strip with teh same stations as a lapstrake because if i can, itll save me $150 for teh plans and postage.

I just started to build a Lawton Tender with plans from Newfound and the book "Woodstrip Rowing Craft" by Susan Van Leuven. The form plans are full size but are half. I was able to trace them using transfer paper onto mdf. I am still making the strips. This is my first boat build.

Quote Originally Posted by samdog View Post
    I just started to build a Lawton Tender with plans from Newfound and the book "Woodstrip Rowing Craft" by Susan Van Leuven. The form plans are full size but are half. I was able to trace them using transfer paper onto mdf. I am still making the strips. This is my first boat build.

Are you keeping the boat 10ft or making it any bigger. I like the look of it but not to happy with tehsize so im thinking of extending it 3 or 4 ft. Would you think this is possible

I think it can be made longer. Give Newfound a call. I have called them a few times with questions and found them to be very helpful.