Thread: Need Outboard Tender Plans Suggestions

Default Need Outboard Tender Plans Suggestions

Perhaps the all-around best tender I have used is the West Marine WaterTender 9.4 ft cathedral hull outboard (please leave negative comments about this boat to another thread). Sure, it is cheap and is a throw-away, but we towed it from Ft. Myers, FL to Washington, DC. and used it daily with no problems. It is utilitarian and very stable. It does it's job well with a small 2.5 hp motor.

HOWEVER, my wishlist for an outboard tender suitable for cruising the ICW is something like the WaterTender, but a little bit larger to handle a 9.9hp 4-stroke outboard of a little over 100 lbs. My wishlist for features are (1) stable with cathedral (or other non-pointy) hull so it can be safely entered from a stern platform, (2) planes with 9.9-15 hp outboard (don't need to row or sail), (3) tows well with motor attached, (4) can haul 2 persons and groceries, (5) complements the Albin 27 towing it, and (6) Can be built by a reasonably-experienced builder using stitch-and-sew or traditional techniques using plywood.

I have gone through online boat plans for days with no luck, so what plans do the members of this forum recommend I consider?

Thanks for your input, Dale

Default Re: Need Outboard Tender Plans Suggestions

“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Yes, good call. The 10 or 11-ft Garvey is a real contender. I looked at those plans a few days ago, but didn't see any information about stability and towability. No photos of completed boats, either. Do you have any input on stability or towability? I will add the 10-ft'r to the list. Thanks, Dale

Quote Originally Posted by JDaleH View Post
    Yes, good call. The 10 or 11-ft Garvey is a real contender. I looked at those plans a few days ago, but didn't see any information about stability and towability. No photos of completed boats, either. Do you have any input on stability or towability? I will add the 10-ft'r to the list. Thanks, Dale
    Get on the Bateau Small Boats forum and ask your questions. The designer of that garvey, Evan Gatehouse, will most likely answer your query. He is a bluewater sailor too.

This pram was designed and built by Paul Gartside for towing behind a 24' displacement powerboat. It has a wide bow platform flotation compartment (likewise aft) and a wide flat floor. Loads of carrying capacity, surprisingly lightweight, stable and a sweet rower... but may have more tuck in the stern than you'd want for planing with the hp you want. He'd probably alter the design to suit your needs, though. www.gartsideboats.com This design is available through Water Craft magazine.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Did you buy the 9.9 motor yet? Atkin's Chatterbox is ply on frame pram said to make 13-mph with 7 horses.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Bolger's Fishcat - a small catamaran powerboat - very stable and roomy.

Or, Bolger's Skimmer, perhaps. Might be a bit small, but still takes your motor.

Either of these could be gussied up, some, but would still likely make your cruiser look better in comparison. Both would be quick,easy and cheap to build.
    Last edited by DGentry; 01-18-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Searched the forums and got all the info i needed. Looks like the fast Garvey 10 (GV10) will be the boat to build. Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have narrowed my choice to something like the Bateau Fast Garvey 10. If you know of something similar, please let me know.

Devlin's Bluebill http://store.devlinboat.com/bluebill.aspx :

Specifications
    Length: 12ft 1in
    Beam: 4ft 11in
    Draft: 6-3/4in
    Displacement: 155lbs
    Power: 20 hp outboard motor
    Hull type: Planing
    Speed: 28mph (med. load)
    Max load: 610lbs

From Paul Fisher, takes up to 20hp. Fast, lightweight, very wide forward:

This is a smaller sister to the 13’ Harrier—she has the same simple ‘V’ bottomed hull shape which has plenty of stability and room in such a short length for fishing and pic-nicking. Under the seats can be used for flotation and/or stowage and she can take outboards up to 20hp.
    She is car-topable and uses 5 sheets of 6mm ply. LOA 9’6” (2.90m); Beam 4’7” (1.40m); Approx. Wht. 85lbs (39kg).

The original 13 footer:

Last edited by JimD; 01-19-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Very similar to the GV10. However, I couldn't find anything more than sketch plans on the site. Not much to go on to make a decision.

She sure looks pretty. I like the details. I like the flotation. Making her plane would be a total re-design.

Hmn, I don't think that would "go" with my Albin 27.

This one has good potential.

Although she is a bit too long, I like the protection given to the outboard and the extra buoyancy aft. Probably not "traditional" enough.

Already have the Honda 9.9 4-stroke. She looks nice.

I appreciate all the input. I tried to comment on each suggestion. Some were very similar and some were "out of the box". I looked at each one and its respective site. In doing this, I have discovered that there is more to building a boat than a set of plans. There is also the support provided by the designer and the other builders. The GV10 has been built several times and the designer and other builders provide excellent support through the forum on the site. (Just as you guys provide support here.) Others provide similar plans (and maybe even better plans), but don't come up to the level of bateau. I think they got it right. Thanks all for your help. Dale

Thread closed