Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 1231252 ... LastLast

Thread: Concordia Yawl #26 Restoration

Default Re: Concordia Yawl #26 Restoration

Your'e right Rob. I was just thinking of renting scaffolding to get the trusses and roof beams up. I can just wait on the boat!
    Chuck Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Anyone who hasn't made a "scary-awful landing" hasn't tried hard enough

I still shudder when I think of backing Neoga up the alley at Robinhood!
    The year we re-powered Magic, we whacked a dock in Boothbay when the reverse gear linkage went off duty. I went for a swim.
    A conversation with the alleged mechanic followed.

The alley at Mattapoiset was another schmozzle. Turning a 35' boat in a 40' alley is not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Anyone who hasn't made a "scary-awful landing" hasn't tried hard enough

I still shudder when I think of backing Neoga up the alley at Robinhood!
    I thought it was marina staff only for boat ops in the alley?

Quote Originally Posted by sailboy3 View Post
    I thought it was marina staff only for boat ops in the alley?
    It is. When bringing her in for getting hauled, I pulled up to the end of the alley & said to Tom - "Here you go". He (though very skilled at maneuvering boats) looked at me & said "Are you nuts? I'm not backing this gal in there! We're along to fend off."

So I backed her in. Only 30+ people watching & some very nervous boat owners lining their lifelines...... One gentle push-off about halfway - where the current changes.

Only had to do it once - as normally I have her already in the alley for a few days to empty her out. That year she had to go out to a mooring for a day before being hauled.

So awesome to see one of these gems go to a fitting home.

A family friend has Irene, #103. I've even been given the honor of helping paint! The lines really just are sweet aren't they?

Btw, Irene's interior is all mahogany.

Looking forward to the reports!
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Congrats Chuckt!

Dude, were do you get your energy from!

Mary Ann looks fantastic, and I am very happy that you are rescuing her, worthy specimen indeed!

In regards to your shed, will you build another one on different part of the property or will you tear down the old (new) one? Do you intend to keep all your vessels going fwd? Up here its a joke about why one should always own several vessels, if you own 1 boat you own a boat..if you own 3 you can call yourself a shipowner...

Looking forward to following this thread, Chuck.

Brgds

Kim

Here's another well kept Concordia. These are fantastic boats to photograph. The lines are perfect and they're colorful in a natural way. Of the many I've seen up close, the owners have kept them original. I especially enjoy seeing that. It says alot about the boats and how they perform. This one is ALLURE.

Even in the abstract, Concordias are recognizable.

Oh you guys are making my heart ache with the Concordia pictures.

THanks BB--yes, the lines of these boats are simply gorgeous.

Kim--I think we will keep the Chris through this summer but I should sell it. I don't think I have the time to enjoy and work on both.
    Chuck Thompson

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

You couldn't" not do it" , could ya?
    Yer goose was cooked.
    Resistance was Futile.
    Yer only human.

ALLURE belongs to the Niles of South Freeport here in Maine. A couple of years ago they swept by us to windward on a close-hauled leg of the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta race. It was a beautiful thing to see and Ben was smiling like the Cheshire Cat. We passed them again on a close reach under spinnaker. Allure was carrying a red and white patterned tri-radial that suited the boat better than many spinnakers you see on Concordias.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    ALLURE belongs to the Niles of South Freeport here in Maine. A couple of years ago they swept by us to windward on a close-hauled leg of the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta race. It was a beautiful thing to see and Ben was smiling like the Cheshire Cat. We passed them again on a close reach under spinnaker. Allure was carrying a red and white patterned tri-radial that suited the boat better than many spinnakers you see on Concordias.
    You do know these boats! Here's another that stores in town. SNOW FALCON, a great boat name. Also well cared for. She was being rigged during these photos. And also having some fresh varnish applied.

Yes Bruce--I am sick. The last straw was realizing I could probably get Mary Ann for a very good price. I simply could not pass it up. The punishment has started already. New boat stands: ka-ching!. New shed: ka-ching! Yard fees for moving boat out and loading/prepping stuff; Ka-ching, ka-ching. Hauling from Maine ka-ching, ching, chingity ching!

And all these pictures of lovely pristine Concordias! You guys are cruel. What do the Germans call it? Freudenshade! I am miserable with a smile on my face though.

Someone asked about the seat backs. I don't recall seeing them and my pictures don't show them but I dont have a picture that shows that area clearly.

Kim-I'm building a new shed. Emma Kate's home is too small for Mary Ann and, in any event, it would hurt Emma Kate's feelings to put her outside under a tarp and let Mary Ann take her digs.
    Chuck Thompson

Best shot I could find of the seat backs (showing one from an ad http://www.boatersresources.com/bfs_...q6=&q7=&mge=):

Quote Originally Posted by chuckt View Post

And all these pictures of lovely pristine Concordias! You guys are cruel. What do the Germans call it? Freudenshade! I am miserable with a smile on my face though.
    This won't make you feel better but perhaps luckier? This was holed a season or two ago east of here in one of our typical storms we dodge every now and then. I don't think the restoration was done here in town, but I have no info beyond this photo.

Not to hijack but I remember that Tom from this thread.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ighlight=rocks

I think ACB's comment at the end says it all..
    "The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place." -Arthur Ransome

Quote Originally Posted by davidagage View Post
    Not to hijack but I remember that Tom from this thread.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ighlight=rocks

I think ACB's comment at the end says it all..
    Thanks David, I'd forgotten that thread. I knew the boat was totaled by the insurance company. That was a given by the damage.

I heard the same as Andrew, that the boat would(was) restored despite the added cost. I wonder where it is now?

That is Goldeneye. She wrapped around her mooring and broke her line. More of her story here in the Concordian Newsletter: http://www.concordiaboats.com/concor...ordian_50.html
    Chuck Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom3 View Post
    Thanks David, I'd forgotten that thread. I knew the boat was totaled by the insurance company. That was a given by the damage.

I heard the same as Andrew, that the boat would(was) restored despite the added cost. I wonder where it is now?
    Isn't she at Paul Rollins' shop? I know he has/had a damaged Concordia. IIRC, the biggest issue was not the hole, but frame delamination.

Kim--I think we will keep the Chris through this summer but I should sell it. I don't think I have the time to enjoy and work on both.
    Understandable.

It's easy to end up being owned by the boats rather than you owning the boats. And thats when boating easily can turn into nightmares instead of the fun it should be.

I feel somewhat semi-owned by my boat, with all the good memories that's been generated aboard since I was 9 when we bought her till now when I am turning 40 next month, I cannot even consider thinking about selling her. Just thinking about it, gives me a bad concience. At the same time I have a dream about owning a 40-60 foot sailboat that can cross oceans, eventually sailing longer distances and to more exotic destinations than I can reach today. I am currently in denial and surpressing the thought of sailboat ownership to stay sane and blaming it on the 40yrs crisis. So to sum it up IMHO the Concordia is a sea going vessel, the 32' CC isn't. It makes perfect sense to me that you are thinking of selling the CC. Just make sure that the people you decide to sell the CC are serious about taking care of her, and enjoy the ownership and restoration of the Concordia.

looking forward to following this one, hoping it will turn from a restoration thread into a "j.dillon" like sailing adventure thread in a couple years time!

Brgds

Kim

That is Goldeneye. She wrapped around her mooring and broke her line. More of her story here in the Concordian Newsletter: http://www.concordiaboats.com/concor...ordian_50.html
    Thanks. She was in fact repaired at Rockport Marine. To add insult to injury, the insurance co refused any payment as they were over the time line covered(better check your policy dates,...)

"There was a tough lesson to be learned regarding insurance. The response we received was that our policy stated the boat would be out of the water on October 1 for the winter. We were planning to sail Goldeneye to Rockport on October 5 when the weather looked best. That means they refused to cover any repairs. Not repairing Goldeneye never crossed our minds. The love affair goes on!"

What a massive repair project.

My wife works as a Medical Biller. Those insurance companies are sharks!

Very glad to see that both Goldeneye and Mary Ann are getting the attention they deserve!
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Many standard on-the-water insurance coverages in the Northeast are limited to June-September unless you make a point of extending it into either season.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

They moved her out and loaded her up yesterday and she hits the road today.

Chuck Thompson

She's looking great.

You got any work planned for her?
    R

Wow! A triple axle trailer! Nice to know there's another in the area - as my boat can't go on a 2 axle.

Safe Journey!

She's a beauty!

I am a little surprised at the wide planks shown in that close-up shot. I had assumed tight-seam planks would be fairly narrow compared to conventional carvel construction. But maybe the camera is very close to the planking making the planks appear wider than they really are.
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

Redeye--no work on this boat for a while. I still have some winter projects to get through on my Chris Craft that need to be done before I can put her on the market. And I have to get Mary Ann's new home built. Speaking of which, here is where I am so far:

We've had a bit of rain lately so the work has been rather messy. Also got slowed down by pulling a muscle in my back. The shed will be plywood sheathing on the bottom 8' and then white plastic corrugated panels above that to let the light in.

I think the planking is mostly original and typical for these boats.

Hmm. Some of those poles don't look straight. I will have to double check them.
    Last edited by chuckt; 01-24-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    Chuck Thompson

Hmm. Some of those poles don't look straight. I will have to double check them.
    It ain't a boat - so no worries!

Your'e right Garret. I'm not going to sweat the building too much--its just a pole building. There is no way in the world to make those poles perfect. And even if I did, some of them are going to warp or twist at least some. But if they are off a good bit it throws everything off--the wall panels, the roof panels . . .
    Chuck Thompson

Oh I know - just couldn't resist a wee bit of levity. Besides - that gal is worthy of a nice shed!

Just so you know, the last guy to paint the bottom of your boat was on a work release program from prison after serving his term for manslaughter....

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Just so you know, the last guy to paint the bottom of your boat was on a work release program from prison after serving his term for manslaughter....
    Is that based on personal knowledge? If it ain't - I gotta say it doesn't look that bad to me!

Yes, personal knowledge. He was a good guy actually. Wanted to learn the boat building business and I 'supervised' his bottom-prep and painting. Killed a guy unintentionally in a bar fight, if his version was accurate. Hell of a thing to have happen to both of them at 22 years old.

Indeed!

She arrived this morning. Journeys End did a good job. Took us a couple of hours to unload. Ricky, the driver, was a very nice guy. We ended up moving the mast by picking her up from a single point in the middle. I was not so sure about this but Ricky was pretty confident so that's what we did! I didn't hear anything crack although the bend caused me some misgiving. We will move it into the barn tomorrow after the horses are let out for the day. I've made some brackets up high that it will rest on. More pics tomorrow.

Chuck Thompson