Thread: Awl grip refinishing/repair anddynel question

Default Awl grip refinishing/repair anddynel question

I have small strip planked wooden boat (see Titmouse thread)
    During the 80s it was repaired. covered with dynel and then painted with a a two part awl grip
    The company did it free for a previous owner (who I was lucky to track down) as they were trying out the paint system.

After a winter of neglect in which it was full of water, and maybe froze what have you.
    there are some splits in the dynel ono the bottom which in a couple cases correspond with cracks in the Port Orford cedar bottom planks (on either side of the center teak plank)
    I am currently thoroughly drying out the boat prior to repairing anything (in a gentle fashion,.not too quickly) and removing the peeling interior paint. so far nothing shows signs of rot.

I have some questions I could use input on.

-Regarding repair. I was going to grind/cut away the dynel in the areas where it was split and hopefully patch using more dynel and epoxy. The cracks in the plank aren't opening significantly so i was hoping to have heated epoxy fill them.

Is this possible with dynel? To patch it?

(I've worked with fiberglass a bunch on boats and it seems infinitely repairable but never dynel though I've checked out some videos)

-Regarding the Awl grip, I'm not too keen on the blue colour and wouldn't mind going for classic white or a different colour. Regardless I will have to paint my 'fixes'
    Can one paint over Awl grip easily?
    Is it possible?
    Does it require more Awl grip?
    Process involved?

Thanks!

Default Re: Awl grip refinishing/repair anddynel question

You can use Awlgrip or conventional (alkyd) paint over Awlgrip. Just sand it thoroughly, as with any other finish.
    The Awlgrip stuff requires better prep and probably epoxy primer, is less pleasant to work with, doesn't cover color as well, costs more and lasts a lot longer than conventional paint. I would not use it on a plank-on-frame boat.
    Get the Awlgrip application guide so you know what's needed.
    Interlux Perfection is basically the same stuff. The Interlux how-to booklet is useful, too.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Pictures of the problem?
    You mention the checking/cracking is on "either side of the teak center plank". Is that the keel?
    Also, you mentioned putting heated epoxy into a void. One might assume you want to use heated epoxy because it gets thinner. But it also kicks off quicker. Consider that thicker glue with a slow hardener may soak in better than a hot kicking epoxy.
    And yea, you can paint LP with anything..painting her white may be easier on the boat anyway.
    In the future, after she is fixed dried and fixed up, I'd maybe put CPES on the inside bilge. It will greatly reduce water absorption,something you do not want on a sheathed boat.

I just visited your thread. Are you sure the sides of the boat are "strip planked" or just narrow planked?
    Are there vertical internal nails?
    I see a dory bottom and SP sides. Are the cracks in the dory style bottom or where the sides meet the bottom or the POC meets the teak keel?

To my eye, this weave looks a bit tight for dynel. Might it be a glass?
    Dynel grinds out ,but gets fuzzy.It's just a different animal than glass.

HI
    Thanks for all the excellent pointers and information

I'll try to address the questions.

The boat was refurbished in the 80s by a company called Indigo Marine in Seattle. The 2nd owner who had this done said that the original fiberglass sheathing was coming off in 6 foot strips so they decided to redo the whole thing. I was under the impression it was dynel because that's what the fellow I bought it off said the 2nd owner had said. When I talked to the second owner last night he said "some high tech stuff' So I can't say for sure it's dynel as it's really all hearsay. It could be glass I guess.

The crack in this picture is in one of the Port Orford Cedar (dory) bottom planks as well as some others, not all the cracks in the sheathing show a corresponding crack on the inside.

The 'strips' are about 1" wide at most maybe 3/4 (the boat is across town)

The original plans do describe the strips as 'strips' and this second edition of boat building in your own backyard has a large section on strip planking which describes them as " edge nailed as you go" there is also a picture which shows vertical nails and glue is mentioned, There are pictures of hulls being built which are clearly strip planked. The plans call for 5/8 thick strips of 'random length and width. The cross section drawing in the plans clearly shows what would look to be strip planking.
    The planks strips seem really tight and the join between the strips and the flat bottom for the most part also seems tight. The problem would seem to be mostly in the bottom planks which was likely a result of it having been full of water for winter.

Wizbang I've followed your lead from previous thread by using a 7" orbital sander (min is actually a variable speed sander/polisher) works like a charm for taking off paint. I just go easy and keep moving, then finish up with a palm sander. Barely taking of any wood and doesn't take forever.\
    i will post pictures of the rest of the plans in my restoration thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 10-16-2018 at 09:26 PM.