Thread: Anti depressants and quitting smoking .

Default Anti depressants and quitting smoking .

Mark's thread on the down sides of anti depressants was informative but I've recently been reading about the effects of antidepressants on the process of giving up smoking. I'm rather passionate about the evils of smoking having watched my Dad die very slowly and unpleasantly from emphysema so anything that helps people escape the addiction is worthy of investigation .Addicts seem to vary hugely in the ease with which they can kick the weed , some with relative ease others never .It doesn't seem to be a matter of will power but perhaps more about brain chemistry.

This like gives a little bit of insight http://www.everydayhealth.com/stop-s...pressants.aspx but google will turn up lots of other links .

Perhaps George Jung could comments from his professional perspective .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: Anti depressants and quitting smoking .

My method worked for me in 1989.

Nicorette gum. Use it like snoose. Three or four chews then stuff it twist lip and gum. Feel the peppery burning sensation. When it stops, tongue it back up and chew a few more times. A piece should last about 10 or 15 minutes. Grab a piece when ever you get the urge. Remember, do not chew it like normal gum. Three or four chews then stuff it down the lip.
    After two months of this, I switched to Big Red gum. Same burning sensation as Nicorette, so it's a good way to wean yourself.

Haven't had a cig since 89. Lately I've smoked a cigar a month.

It was found that people who were prescribed Welbutrin for depression were having an easy time of it quitting smoking. The company repackaged the stuff and called it Zyban and marketed it as a nicotine cessation drug.
    Chantix is the most recent and is a cousin to an SSRI antidepressant.
    It's easy to read up where neuroscientists believe what part of the brain is satisfied by the drug or what receptors are blocked to reduce or relieve craving.
    Anybody using these drugs must be highly motivated and positive in their approach to quitting.

Like with Prozac, about 3 in 10 find quick and serious problems taking the drug and quit at the induction stage.
    Study Peace

My paperback 'civilian' edition of the PDR doesn't raise any warnings about Wellbutrin/Zyban in conjunction with Nicorette gum. Still, I strongly discussing this with your GP. There is always the possibility of adverse interactions with other prescription or OTC medications that you may be using.

The WBF is good, but not the final word in medical knowledge

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    It was found that people who were prescribed Welbutrin for depression were having an easy time of it quitting smoking. The company repackaged the stuff and called it Zyban and marketed it as a nicotine cessation drug.
    Chantix is the most recent and is a cousin to an SSRI antidepressant.
    It's easy to read up where neuroscientists believe what part of the brain is satisfied by the drug or what receptors are blocked to reduce or relieve craving.
    Anybody using these drugs must be highly motivated and positive in their approach to quitting.

Like with Prozac, about 3 in 10 find quick and serious problems taking the drug and quit at the induction stage.
    That was my reading so far too.It appears the nicotine bonds with serotonin uptake ? or something similar and that because of that giving up on nicotine becomes remarkable difficult for some. The Prozac like anti depressants raise serotonin levels independently so the person can feel normal while giving up .

Nicotine replacement gums aren't needed.

I may have this completely a#re about but that's my understanding .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

No products available that make quitting easy; 90% plus is between the ears. When people decide - really decide, for themselves - they're ready to quit, some of the meds can be helpful. Last stats I recall was that, even when very determined, on average it took four serious tries to accomplish the task. My perspective - the only thing more difficult than quitting is staying quit.

Chantix is supposed to bind to the nicotine receptors. It can be very helpful, though seemingly has a high incidence of side effects. Chris is correct on the origin of Zyban, it was a serendipitous discovery at a California VA hospital, if I recall correctly. Depressed vets on Wellbutrin were simply losing interest in their cigarettes; someone noticed and voila'! A 'new' drug! I think nicotine products can be helpful, and I've used them in conjunction with Zyban - but a recent study (which I caught in the NYTimes!) suggests - it's not more useful than placebo.

And therein lies the 'bottom line'. Nothing helps until the smoker is ready to quit. When they're ready, I suspect almost anything helps. Interesting, the mind games we play, especially with ourselves.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....