Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shanty Boats

Lol....OK......but.......

I presume your blinds are fabric? I'd think the rigid cabin structure of a shantyboat, with a progressive moment from the axis of decel when the hull hit the water, would experience some "issues" haha.

Could you post a pic of your rig, Kevin? I think it's an interesting approach and I'd like to understand it better!

Default Re: Shanty Boats

Nope. Ply on frame barges, complete with raking ends and a bilge, fiberglassed. Atop this is a stickbuilt house, sheathed in painted plywood, and surrounded by rails into which we install the grass for camo. Inside is a bench with folding backrest for storage, two tiers of shelving, a locker and room for four men, a dog and a couple of kerpo heaters etc.

Didnt mean to sound abrubt, my point is that if you gently back up and tap the brakes, you can get the boat off without the complexity of a tilt trailer. In fact, if its real shallow, tilt is a hindrance, cuz you may bottom out before you get off. Again, just my experience. Here are some pics of the smallest of the three blinds I hunt, after launching for this season.

Kevin

Retry
    Remove
    Cancel
    Last edited by Breakaway; 01-15-2012 at 12:32 AM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Holy shotgun, Nimrod! More than the average blind. Amazing.

A tender idea - why not use a miniature push tug? Basically a yawl boat (complete with ropework on the stem of course) that nestles into a small concave section of the transom - obviously the frame of the shantyboat would have to be designed to handle the forces.

Attach cables/ropes/straps from the outer edges of the transom to the yawl boat & off you go. The yawl boat would not have to be hugely heavy for something like this & might be fairly economical for puttering about if powered by a small diesel. Some work would be needed for visibility: retractable tower on the yawl boat? Trapeze setup with a tiller extension? Wouldn't that get looks! Or - you could go high tech & mount a backup camera on the bow of the shantyboat. Guess it wouldn't be a backup camera then....

Trailer: It seems to me that the forces on a trailer are quite different from those on a boat in the water. Why not make a trailer that's basically a wide frame with padded angle iron along the outer edge, a few cross members that line up with frames & then strap/bolt the shanty down on the trailer? Seems to me that building that might well be cheaper & stronger than building in attachment timbers that can handle the spring attachment points.

I gotta say that the whole shantyboat thing has me thinking - so thanks to WB for the article!

Here's my shanty boat and tug in 1978. Kevin, you might recognize the location.
    Last edited by Jim Ledger; 01-15-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Here's my shanty boat an tug in 1978. Kevin, you might recognize the location.
    I'm going to say near Triton Lane....The Barge.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

It was tied up behind the Barge in 1976, but this picture was taken a little west of there, opposite Round Dune. There was a little building on the bay side called the Sail Loft.

It was tied up behind the Barge in 1976, but this picture was taken a little west of there,
    Ok, so that's ( what I call) Greenback Island in the background, left. Cool.

Kevijn

Some work would be needed for visibility: retractable tower on the yawl boat? Trapeze setup with a tiller extension?
    Up periscope!

Actually, an autopilot remote is all you need. Then you can relax with a cup of coffee on the shanty foredeck, or behind that grand, forward-facing picture window when the weather turns inclement. What about the throttle, you ask? Install one of these beauties, and let the engineer take care of the rest.

Last edited by Woxbox; 01-15-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Not an autopilot; just one of those voice tubes (partly visible at the right of the photo) to augment the engine telegraph, and the crew aft with the outboard. You get to enjoy the fresh air and view; your crew gets to 'enjoy' the noise and fumes.

Gotta love tradition!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    Not an autopilot; just one of those voice tubes (partly visible at the right of the photo) to augment the engine telegraph, and the crew aft with the outboard. You get to enjoy the fresh air and view; your crew gets to 'enjoy' the noise and fumes.

Gotta love tradition!

Tom
    I like it! Make sure the crew wears greasy overalls too?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I like it! Make sure the crew wears greasy overalls too?
    My dear chap,spotless white overalls and white carpet in the engine room. Don't you know nuthin?

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    My dear chap,spotless white overalls and white carpet in the engine room. Don't you know nuthin?
    You gots a higher klass boat than I do.... However, I'll strive to upgrade to at least dingy white.

On a serious note, Bolger made his houseboats look like boats, partly for the reason that they would be more accepted by the neighbours. Littoral rights are complicated and people do get moved on. Ian's(I think) point about the holding tank is valid and worrisome,some anchorages have a pump out boat available.

Of course if you had Garret's dedicated yawl boat, you could put the holding tank in that, connections would be like hooking up a semi trailer.

A couple of months ago , Carl Cramer posted a video in Wooden boat of the week called PechaKucha, the first speaker is Eric Sponberg, his ideas look a little unwieldy, but he effectively says that everyone who is looking at a house boat has been influenced by "sleepless in Seatle" , here's the video

Here's the houseboat, it was for sale for $2.5m

I've dreamed of living aboard for better than 30 years now and I've never seen Sleepless In Seattle so that theory is out the window.

On the topic of making a boaty looking houseboat, how about something that borrows from the Benford Florida Bay Drifters? They were designed to be a simple and affordable live aboard and drawn along the lines of the Florida Bay Coasters.

A simple barge hull with some shape to the ends and then a house imitating something like this?

36 footer...

42 foot

Another Benford design that is well suited to a live aboard would be Square One, a pram on steroids according to the designer.

Then to continue off on a tangent with the Benford designs there are his delightful 30, 34, and 45 foot Ferries. I don't think any of these are in the real spirit of a Shanty boat however but they are fun to look at and daydream about.
    Nosce te ipsum

I would set mine up pretty much just like a travel trailer. For my kind of usage, Im not going to park it in one place for weeks or months on end. I imagine being at anchor for a few days, maybe a week. After that, I think its probably time to visit a marina, replenish supplies, empty/fill tanks, and get a proper shower. With a shanty boat hull though, one could easily fit a large enough tankage to accommodate that length of time.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

One of WoodenBoat's good Facebook friends, Nate Carey, called attention to a YouTube video on a simple river raft with spartan/camping accommodations. It's worth a look just for the utter simplicity of the idea and effort. It's not a Shanty boat, but take a look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpTKA...&feature=share

Fun episode Jon. I searched on "shanty boat"; there looks to be quite a few videos on YouTube. Rick

And for those of you who can never get enough, there is this:

http://shantyboatliving.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Cramer View Post
    And for those of you who can never get enough, there is this:

http://shantyboatliving.com/
    From the Shantyboatliving.com link. Someone else was thinking about Benford maybe?

This is what I had in mind.

My apologies for the lack of graphics rendering skills...

Maybe a series on building a Shanty would be something to consider? Preface it with a design challenge and a construction log of the winner? I'd read it.
    Nosce te ipsum

Those are at Robinhood Marine Center - Georgetown, Maine & available for rent (by the week) for anyone who wants to check out the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Those are at Robinhood Marine Center - Georgetown, Maine & available for rent (by the week) for anyone who wants to check out the idea.
    Here is the page detailing the rental shanty.
    Nosce te ipsum

I'll have to confess that I wasn't very interested in the Shanty Boat story. But after reading all these ideas I'm going back to take another look. Might be fun to have a little house/boat moored somewhere out of the way.

I wonder what the rules are for mooring six months at a time in salt water. Probably just stay out of busy passages and keep an anchor light on after sunset. Hmmm.

Oh well. Shoulda known. There's an entire website with it's own forum all about Shanty Boats. Check out http://shantyboatliving.com/

Everthin ya want to know is just a click away.
    Last edited by fishrswim; 01-19-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Nice site. And there's some creativity out there:

I have a question...
    WB magazinw #224 features shanty boats...a great issue. The feature Shantyboat Renaissance by Harry Bryan apparently had a final total cost of $75,000.
    I have yet to sit down and work on an analysis....but , at first glance, I don't see such a basic watercraft costing that much.
    Am I missing something?

I have a question...
    WB magazinw #224 features shanty boats...a great issue. The feature Shantyboat Renaissance by Harry Bryan apparently had a final total cost of $75,000.
    I have yet to sit down and work on an analysis....but , at first glance, I don't see such a basic watercraft costing that much.
    Am I missing something?
    There is another thread that discusses that, and many members felt that way. I'm a dissenter in that I think its a fair price to charge for a completed boat, complete from ships stove to flower boxes. The cost of materials doesn't take the builders time in to account, the level of craftsmanship, or his profit. I'd bet you could buy the materials for half that 35K but you'd have a pile of wood and gallons of paint and glue--you wouldnt have a boat.

Kevin

Here is a large part for you that want to build the tugboat: it is on C.L. so don't wait too long as it won't be 'round for long

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/2791728044.html

Breakaway makes a valid point. Amateur builds come in two general sorts: Those that are somewhere between simple and butt-ugly; and Those that show the glory and beauty of real craftsmanship, complete with grace notes.

If the designers is a genius in his or her use of the materials, something like the Glouster Gull comes along, a boat almost impossible to make ugly because Bolger did not leave the curves to the builder's eye, but rather made sure the plywood dictated them. A whole world of nice-enough boats comes from this sort of good design.

Every now and then there's a plain and simple design that's been done by a real craftsman. We had pix of such here not long ago but I can't remember enough to do the search. Simple, often very plainly done, boat but little touches like the cut-outs for bulkhead vents and the detailing of the paint scheam were just right - no geegaw or pointless filigree but a right accenting of a terrific design.

But then there are moments when the designer/builder does the art right. The cover shanty boat could have looked as remorselessly practical as Atkins' Retreat. But it doesn't. The curves, like the eves' line, are just so. The very gentle hull flare and sweep are so deft. And those are things that another can now follow if the plans are available, but even from plans you can get it wrong. I can't be the only one here who's seen a Rozinante where the builder just missed the shere elevation or - this one's actually common - failed to get that stern knuckle right.

So yeah, the skill that went into that shanty boat is easily more valuable than the material. An amateur who's good can make that boat for $20,000 materials or even less, but that person does not count time. And that's the real meaning of being true to the root for amateur - a lover.

Traditional shanty boats? Go west, young man, go west.

Wow! The above photo is like something out of an old movie. Who built it and where do we go to see it?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Wow! The above photo is like something out of an old movie. Who built it and where do we go to see it?
    The first photo is of the Sprague family (my neighbors) logging camp on Hood Canal around 1910. We bought some timberland from the two brothers sitting on the raft in 1975.

The second photo is of a flatboat built a couple years ago to go down the Mississippi drainage, taken out of a newspaper article. I was gonna do an article on it but I never could get in touch with the builder after he returned from his trip. But it's Western Red Cedar, and its construction is pretty basic.

Have there been any attempts to think of creative ways to get a shanty boat in a bigger size, yet still trailer? Assembly would be a challenge to consider, but the trailer industry was able to develop double wides in a prefab setup. The long corridor is a challenge aestheticallly, and most boats tend to get greater beam as they get longer. I don't want or need the crazy tophamper of some of the houseboats, but there is something appealing about a shanty wider than 8'6".

Dan
    Last edited by Dan St Gean; 01-27-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I really like this idea. I do see that waterfront property owners will raise hell if a shanty boat anchors for an extended period in front of their expensive beach.
    Way back I had a 22' Cedar boat I used as a "shanty" with a 16' boat for a tender.
    I got questioned several times by property owners when I Anchored too close to their Property, or spent a few nights out front of their house. Good anchorages are few and far between in the San Juan's.

Especially when all I had for a Head was a Bucket!

But I went all through the San Juan's and even spent a few nights in Lake Washington up near the north end. I just fished.
    But up in the San Juan's the peace n' quiet is well worth the clamor of building a nice Comfortable Barge looking thing.

The only 'uncomfortable' experience in the San Juan's was anchoring, and then having to move after the weather changed in the middle of the night.
    There aren't a whole lot of 'Safe n' Weather free' anchorages in the San Juan's.
    Ferry Wakes are another upsetting motion.
    Those Ferry wakes can actually cause your Barge to drag the anchor.

The Shanty like you see in the South East states, in the Swamps, and slow rivers may work up in the PacNW but I'd be cautiously aware of the Bad water you can encounter in the San Juan's.
    Look into it a bit harder, make sure you can afford it, and follow your dream!

Here's a link to the Moron Brothers who did very well with their shanty and some Music to keep the boredom down.
    http://www.comingunmoored.com/2009/0...r-shanty-boat/
    Last edited by thud; 01-24-2012 at 10:30 AM.

I've seen sketches of shantyboats/ houseboats that had fold-out walkways, three or four feet deep, around the entire boat. Some of them had awnings over those. Perhaps especially useful for a craft where those could be "walk out" from the interior.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?