Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Shanty Boats

Default Re: Shanty Boats

Read the book that inspired Harry's shanty boat. He mentions it in the article. It will move, all you need is a little current and some really long oars.
    Oldad

You can rent a European style (and built, I believe) canal boat on the Erie Canal. There are several companies that offer them. Great way to see how it suits you. It's on the sort list for the missus and me.

Narrowboats are great fun, and you could certainly live aboard if you had a mind to. But handling one longer than about twenty-five feet is like trying to steer a row of shopping trolleys.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

I vaguely remember a story where a live aboard couple needed a 'shed' to do some work on their yacht. They bought a big metal barge with a permanent mooring and moved a second hand building on board as a a shop. Before long she had moved onto the barge and I do not know the ultimate outcome.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Something like this from Mertens, perhaps. But the more you need a real boat the less you can call it a shanty

Bb
    Be careful if you are considering this plan. There have been multiple reports that the design trims down by the bow due poor weight distribution.
    Oldad

The problem I alway had with Harry Brian's "shanty boat" is that there is no connection between $75,000 and the term shanty. They just don't go together in the same sentence. Harry's boat is beautifull and beautifully done but it ain't no shanty and would get a laugh from anyone who ever lived or relaxed on a real shanty boat. Can't see anyone stepping out of an old battered jon boat with muddy boots and a string of slimy fish into that neat little castle. Tad's offerings have as much panache with a ton more practicality although they ain't shantys either..

Fot those that want to see a real "shanty boat", I offer the following.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...VP0zU&vq=large
    Tom L

Tom's vid is a bit closer to the shack on a log raft that I lived on in a slough of the Willamette. But despite the remorseless straight line practicality of Atkins and others who evolved shacks on rafts into micro-barges with a bed, I see nothing wrong with exercising a bit of artistry, put some beautiful curves in and like that. There is something to be said for a person to be his or her own designer-builder and thus not hitting anything like the $75,000, so very much of which was the master craftsman's just reward. Perhaps just as the micro-barge-with-bed is a good step from shack on a raft, so also the really refined "shanty boat" is, like a classic folly, an exercise in romantic imagination and whether one makes it personally or hires the job means little compared to the creation of a jewel from which one can watch the tide ebb and flood.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Bb
    Be careful if you are considering this plan. There have been multiple reports that the design trims down by the bow due poor weight distribution.
    Oldad
    I seem to recall hearing that before. Perhaps the problems stem from this being a planing hull
    The planing hull bottom and the wide and strong transom allows her to take fairly large engines but she will be very happy to move at displacement speed with a 25 HP.
    Probably trims better with twin 100s on the transom.

The problem stems from the cabin being located far ahead of the lateral center of bouyancy and yes, a couple of 100s (4 strokes) on the transom would help a lot
    Oldad

This Aqucamper is a sort of minimal shantyboat....... losts of good ideas for a ply punt fit out.

Riggs Cove Rentals, Georgetown, ME. More than a shanty boat, less than a houseboat. Attractive design either way. Link to website

From the makers of Cape Dory boats no less. They seem to be renting fairly well though.

When I think of Shanties, I think of something like these. Hone and Kaka, two lighters or barges built c.1911 in Dargaville and used as houseboats in Whangarei until 1994.

Alan L
    Beatrice - A St Pierre Dory
    http://www.alphabyte.co.nz/beatrice

Saw of one of these at the Toronto Boat Show, looked like the offspring of three-way between a camper trailer, a bass boat and a pontoon boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Here an idea, albeit in aluminum, but I imagine the concept could be realized in wood: The boats twin hulls are connected by a sliding bar that allows an 8-foot beam for trailering but expands to 11 feet for cruising; the "house" is some sort of flexible/fabric.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Will Wheeler View Post
    Saw of one of these at the Toronto Boat Show, looked like the offspring of three-way between a camper trailer, a bass boat and a pontoon boat.
    I'll say a 4-way - as I think a ski lift got into the mix as well.......

...Star Trek shuttlecraft, perhaps.

Tom

I'd say it also has a Sno-Cat in its lineage!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Could you use the Oyster barge over on the build page as a platform for a shanty boat ?

I saw this and wanted to say it is possible that I build a house on this. I really did build it to sell as an Oyster barge but I built one houseboat and have wanted to build another.

What will generally get better fuel efficiency, a flat bottom, a pontoon, or a more traditional sailboat hull? For some reason, I think the pontoon would be the worst but I don't know why.

Friends,

Here is a likely contender for the title of shanty boat, it even comes with stripper pole.

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/4544823320.html

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    What will generally get better fuel efficiency, a flat bottom, a pontoon, or a more traditional sailboat hull? For some reason, I think the pontoon would be the worst but I don't know why.
    Other things being equal, the pontoon will be most efficient and provide the best stability, too. The downside is that the pontoon approach will provide less displacement if it's properly proportioned.
    -Dave

Friends,

Here is a likely contender for the title of shanty boat, it even comes with stripper pole.

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/4544823320.html
    Structure is attached to the trailer and floats with it still under it.

Its amphibious!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.