Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: We Want to Hear From You

Default Re: We Want to Hear From You

Apparently not, since a recent complaint has been removed.

Yahoo! Phoned my chandlery and March/April has arrived! Can't wait to see Stephanes' boat on the cover.
    My 'dream' issue would include an article with ten different, beachable, cruiseable rowable 17'-18' footers in it.
    I want to build my first boat (re-builds don't count) and am looking for something a little more capable than my
    St. Lawrence Skiff for traveling.
    Mike
    Last edited by Full Tilt; 03-08-2012 at 12:39 PM.

I loved the shantyboat and the fact that it made the cover. I also have every wooden boat magazine although when we were cruising I didn't have a subscription...they are a great resource that I usually read cover to cover more than once. Maynard Bray's "Attention to Detail" articles were a favorite, and I think that more attention (space) could be given to "Around the yards". In truth, one magazine cannot satisfy everyone..it is always a fine line when choosing the articles for any given month, but overall, I give Wooden Boat an "A". That said, I dearly miss "Maritime Life and Traditions" and looked forward to it's arrival even more than WB. How about a quarterly along the same lines?

Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    I have two suggestions for new articles.

(1) Since most of us use plywood and epoxy to build our new boats, I'd like to see a balanced non-proprietary discussion of modern epoxies and their use. A beginner has access to a great deal of excellent information, but can still be easily bewildered by the different epoxies, pumps, mixing containers, blushes, glass fabrics and tapes, sandpapers, paint incompatibilities etc etc.

(2) I'd like to see some discussion (or competition) about small, shallow-bodied, highly trailerable (under 1500 pounds), at-least-two-berth, very seaworthy, semi-planing, efficient family motor sailers. I have in mind a decked, flat-bottomed 24-foot boat with a draft less than one foot, an outboard 25 HP or less, bunks on the floor, an alcohol stove, portable potty, and a simple sail rig for fun and getting home if the engine quits.
    there is nothing seaworthy about this

It would be nice to see articles along the lines of this particular forum post:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-revived-again

There are surely many very creative and ingenious readers, who over the years have brought forth wonderful crafty stuff which some may find more than useful. Building a woodenboat, no matter the method used, eventually brings out the tinkerer in all of us. An article like that shown in the above link, would be a good boost up the tinkerers' learning curve and may even lead to wonderful innovations.

Cheers!

Peter

P.S. I have no fiscal or remuneratory relationship with Mr.McMullen, even though I think he is a stand up chap, regardless the many dastardly rumours to the contrary.
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Firstly I think you might be on to something very interesting, with the magazine formally linked to some or a lot of the readers in the forum,(or is that forumally). It kind of takes the idea of a magazine to a new level in this digital/social-media time. Sort of a collaboration or readers/writers and publishers. I am mildly surprised the no-one has seen this. I guess most of us are well older farts.
    I do not subscribe but probably should. I buy about 2 out of three anyway. I have subscribed in the past but let it lapse for various reasons. Oh I have three wooden boats now.
    Some people have talked about the rather surprising price tag on the lovely shanty boat. We have a vision of a simpler life and a simpler time, when the biggest problem is where the fly swatter is for that one annoying insect, ( our dreams are not infested with ten-thousand mosquitoes ). The truth is boat builders and other folk need a living wage. I also try to farm and I cannot sell my produce for enough to make wages, and pay for the cost of production. I have to work off the land as well. (if you are asking how I manage three wooden boats and a farm and a full time job the simple answer is not as well as I'd like to.)
    I like the idea of a magazine as a dialogue.....

Oh I really liked the article in the latest issue about the cost and value of building a boat. And what a beauty she is......
    Last edited by gilberj; 03-09-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter radclyffe View Post
    there is nothing seaworthy about this
    I take your point, Peter, given the usual definition of "seaworthy."
    I should have said, and wish to say, "capable of going offshore in fair weather," for example, capable of going to Nantucket from Cape Cod, or capable of going to Bimini from Miami.
    Perhaps I should also add "self-bailing."

Seaworthiness is alway relevant to the intended voyage. A canoe is a fine seaworthy craft for crossing a small lake on a fine summer day. ( Don't forget the bread, cheese, wine and of course the beautiful woman ). The boat described can be reasonably seaworthy in the same context that many trailer sailors are. It sounds very like the Nimble sailboats.