Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gilberj
    • Aug 2010

Re: We Want to Hear From You

Firstly I think you might be on to something very interesting, with the magazine formally linked to some or a lot of the readers in the forum,(or is that forumally). It kind of takes the idea of a magazine to a new level in this digital/social-media time. Sort of a collaboration or readers/writers and publishers. I am mildly surprised the no-one has seen this. I guess most of us are well older farts.
    I do not subscribe but probably should. I buy about 2 out of three anyway. I have subscribed in the past but let it lapse for various reasons. Oh I have three wooden boats now.
    Some people have talked about the rather surprising price tag on the lovely shanty boat. We have a vision of a simpler life and a simpler time, when the biggest problem is where the fly swatter is for that one annoying insect, ( our dreams are not infested with ten-thousand mosquitoes ). The truth is boat builders and other folk need a living wage. I also try to farm and I cannot sell my produce for enough to make wages, and pay for the cost of production. I have to work off the land as well. (if you are asking how I manage three wooden boats and a farm and a full time job the simple answer is not as well as I'd like to.)
    I like the idea of a magazine as a dialogue.....

Oh I really liked the article in the latest issue about the cost and value of building a boat. And what a beauty she is......
    Last edited by gilberj; 03-09-2012, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• spirit
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by peter radclyffe
      there is nothing seaworthy about this
      I take your point, Peter, given the usual definition of "seaworthy."
      I should have said, and wish to say, "capable of going offshore in fair weather," for example, capable of going to Nantucket from Cape Cod, or capable of going to Bimini from Miami.
      Perhaps I should also add "self-bailing."

Comment

• gilberj
        • Aug 2010

Seaworthiness is alway relevant to the intended voyage. A canoe is a fine seaworthy craft for crossing a small lake on a fine summer day. ( Don't forget the bread, cheese, wine and of course the beautiful woman ). The boat described can be reasonably seaworthy in the same context that many trailer sailors are. It sounds very like the Nimble sailboats.

Comment

Working...