Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Building a (Very) Little Giant - a 1:12 Scale Model of Peaceful

Default Re: Building a (Very) Little Giant - a 1:12 Scale Model of Peaceful

That looks great Tom! I'm looking forward to seeing more progress.

Jim
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

So, I assume you will be beveling the cedar planking and then using a mini caulking iron and J&J cotton balls to caulk the seams.. I can see it now.. you will need a micro size caulking iron and mallet, and the econo size box of cotton balls for XMAS!!!

S
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

I'll let you borrow my caulking iron, you'll need to supply your own tiny fingers though.

-Jim

He is a cruel one, that Jim from Juneau

Carry on Tom, the lessons learned and rewards garnered will be great.........for your next model!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

I was planning to dis-assemble tampons and drive the fibers in with a butter knife. Sometimes I wonder why I post anything on here. Damn the lot of you and all of your foolishness.
    She requires of her owner a custodial obligation and responsibility that has absolutely nothing to do with financial return on investment or annual cost of maintaining and operating her.

I just read my last post and it wasn't nearly as funny as I thought it was when I wrote it. I hope you guys got the drift that I'm just giving you a hard time.
    She requires of her owner a custodial obligation and responsibility that has absolutely nothing to do with financial return on investment or annual cost of maintaining and operating her.

No worries Tom, it was funny.
    -Jim

It's been quite a while since I updated the thread. I got a little bit burned out on the project over the winter and set it aside for a while, but I've made enough progress lately that it's probably worth an update. Clark came out to visit last weekend, and we spent a lot of time working together over 5 days which I always find enjoyable. A friend ripped and planed Alaskan Yellow Cedar planks for us, and also some sapele for the cabin sides. I've also learned to do a very good job resawing plank stock on the band saw using a fence. Planking went pretty well for a first attempt. I learned some things that I would do a little different next time, but the finish sanded result is pretty respectable. I'll just post a bunch of photos and let them tell the story.

A couple of more including the rough shaping of the stem and rough sanded hull.

Looks great Tom. You have been somewhat depriving us but we forgive you. I had no idea of all the work you guys go to in making models.
    Last edited by chuckt; 08-21-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    Chuck Thompson

Here's a link to all of the progress photos I've shot along the way. Let me know if you have problems accessing them.

Does that guy ever smile?

I want one. Just the model!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

That's a lot of progress Tom. It looks great!

Jim
    -Jim

We are continuing to make slow but sure progress. Clark built the forward cabin top and sent it to me so that I could dry fit it, fiberglass the exterior and cut the recess to accept the upper cabin sides. Here it is completed and ready to go back to Knoxville. I'm bummed that I didn't shoot a photo of the interior side to show the varnished beams and tongue in groove planking details.

In the meantime, I corrected the shape of the transom at the deck, and got the planking done on that bit.

With most of the exterior framing and planking done now, I'm starting to turn my attention to the interior systems and framing while Clark builds the upper deck. Here are the beginning of a motor mount made from some aluminum stock and maple.

Seems like there would be a bigger smile considering all the progress! Lol...lol
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Despite fighting the cold and flu for much of the holiday break, we managed to make some good progress on Little Peaceful. Prior to visiting, Clark finished the upper cockpit deck, and we were able to get that dry fit. It went together with one minor adjustment.

In the meantime, I got the shaft log installed, the motor and running gear installed. I also hung the interior siding/planking in the cockpit.

Once Clark arrived, we started assembling some of the major parts. Here you can see the foredeck faired and the hatch framed, the cabin sides permanently glued and some of the interior bulkheads starting to get dry fit.

Here is the first glimpse of the cockpit sole getting dry fit. I cheated a bit on this part and ordered the decking from Micromark rather than building the planked and caulked decks from scratch. Best $22 I've spent lately.

And here is the whole boat assembled for the first time.

Toward the end of the vacation we started getting varnish on some of the brightwork. I have to say that this was particularly satisfying.

Along the way, I convinced Clark to smile just a little bit.

Next steps will be framing all of the interior furniture and starting to work on details...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post

Along the way, I convinced Clark to smile just a little bit.

Wow, he looks positively ecstatic!

Every time I look in on this thread, I go back and read the whole thing.

I'm amazed at the skill levels, and I see that there is every bit as much skill required to build a correct model as there is to build the whole, full size boat.

I was a little bit surprised at how many of the techniques we use on the big boat translate directly to the model. Some of the most obvious ones are the use of battens and templates to shape planks and bulkheads and using dividers to scribe all of the odd shapes you run into. And I'm using all of the same glues, fillers and wood on the model. On the big boat, the clamps and checks are a lot bigger. I'll post a little update on that project in a moment.

What have you used for packing glands?

Looking good
    Fish and ships or is that chips

I won't use true packing glands on this one. I'm going to replicate the "dripless" design that is on the full scale. It's not in place in the photo above, but I milled a compression washer out of G-10 that will get compressed against the shaft log with a combination of a spring, washer, and collar on the shaft. I think once the shaft log is packed with grease that this will create a reasonably watertight seal. My only worry is that the washer will get ground down faster than I would like. If I think of it, I'll assemble it and post a photo later. Fingers crossed on that bit.

We've made a little bit of progress lately in the midst of working on the big boat and enjoying some time cruising. Clark finished the helm details.

In the meantime, I've been working on finishing up the salon floors and getting the rest of the interior framing done. Fitting all of the furniture and bulkheads has turned out to be more fiddly and time consuming than I imagined but the big pieces are almost done now. I still have a lot of detail work to do on some remaining shelves and doors.

I'm keeping all of the interior furniture separate in big sections for now so that I can remove most of it and airbrush it off the boat. That's the only way I can think of to deal with all of the shelves and interior faces. I hope to be done with construction and ready for paint by the Thanksgiving holiday. We'll be focusing most of our time on running the big boat until the days get dark here again.

The model looks like it is going very well!!
    Thanks for the story and Photos!!!

Is every two years too often to post updates on this little project? We've been making progress in brief sprints separated by long periods of doing other things. I'll bring things up to date in the next few posts.

I took a bit of time building the interior bulkheads and furniture. Not done with all of the detailing, but the goal was to get the big pieces done in order to paint when we could open up the garage shop and spray paint in the summer time. Here are a few if the interior bits both rough and then with a coat of paint.

Bookshelves

Galley shelves

More in the next few posts...

Here is the interior of the head with a side view of the galley shelves once glued and with a first coat of paint.

Lots of work for the airbrush on the interior bits. Clark handled the painting. For the better part of a week, the shop was dedicated to painting.

We brushed primer on the hull and some interior bulkheads.

I was a little bit sad to paint over all of the planking. I was really quite proud of how that bit turned out.
    Last edited by Tom Freeman; 08-17-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Replacing a photo

For the finish coats on the hull, we built a poor man's spray booth in the garage and used an auto detail gun to shoot the color. A few frustrating fits and starts as the days were hot and windy and it was hard to keep blowing dust out of the finish, but we kept after it for three days or so...

And got a nice base coat on finally...

Then the really fiddly bits began. I think it took about three hours to get a tape line for the bottom paint that looked good to everyone including Jessica. I really underestimated the challenge of getting that right. Once we got it taped, we masked everything else off and shot a custom mixed color to match faded Pettit bottom paint. We debated gloss, semi-gloss or flat. Flat would have been more accurate, but we opted for a pretty display model.

The most delicate bit of all was taping the boot stripe and the signature red Richardson arrow on the topsides. Clark did a truly masterful job. You may be able to spot one black fleck at the boot stripe that will need to get cleaned up, bit otherwise we were very pleased with this result.

We still have lots of detailing to do including interior doors and cabinet/locker doors, deck hardware, toe and finger rails, rub rails and some windows. I'm hoping that maybe another year of on-and-off work will wrap this project up. Anyone have a proxy for tiny stainless steel rub rail? That one is probably our biggest head scratcher at the moment. The searchlight will be fiddly as well. I debated doing working running lights, but those are the sorts of things that could keep this project from ever getting finished. Next steps are building a few details and then varnishing all of the mahogany bits. The forward windows got finished a while back, but I forgot to share a photo, so here they are as well.

You can browse a full set of progress photos here if you are really into the details - https://1drv.ms/f/s!An5cTauG0cNzgVAUZvJ89bp78bXi

Until next time...

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Freeman; 08-17-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Every year or two is about right. LOL..lol

Good work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Every year or two is about right. LOL..lol

Good work!!!
    That's how it felt to me. I'm not entertaining enough to post every day.