Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a (Very) Little Giant - a 1:12 Scale Model of Peaceful

Default Building a (Very) Little Giant - a 1:12 Scale Model of Peaceful

Some of you may have looked in on my restoration thread over the past couple of years where I've been documenting the work we are doing on our 1939 Richardson Little Giant. Now that we have the restoration to a manageable point, we are starting a new project - a 1:12 scale model of the boat built from scratch. I decided to post the project here for a few reasons.
    • I'll be collaborating on the build with my father-in-law, Clark Stewart. Clark looked after Peaceful for about a decade before passing her along to us. He knows the boat inside and out, and since he lives in Knoxville, TN the forum is a good way to keep in touch on progress. I will be doing most of the structural bits and Clark is going to focus on the hardware and scale details. He is a masterful modeler, so I'm really looking forward to working with him. He should chime in here shortly.
    • I'm already learning some things I didn't know about the boat as a result of researching the project. Others may get some value from the resources we are discovering.
    • I'd like to employ similar building techniques as were used on the full scale boat where practical and useful. Since I've never built a boat, I imagine that you guys can offer a lot of suggestions.
    I'll be posting our progress so far over the next day or so to get caught up on the work we did when Clark visited over the Christmas holiday. In the meantime, here are our Reference Photos. You can check these out from time to time to see how true we are keeping to the full scale.

And so it begins, with this end in mind...

She requires of her owner a custodial obligation and responsibility that has absolutely nothing to do with financial return on investment or annual cost of maintaining and operating her.

Default Re: Building a (Very) Little Giant - a 1:12 Scale Model of Peaceful

Very nice project Tom ! One question however; the accommodation plan and the profile drawing appear at odds with each other. Do I need my eyes checked or is something amiss?

Looking forward to following along this neat thread over the winter months!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    Very nice project Tom ! One question however; the accommodation plan and the profile drawing appear at odds with each other. Do I need my eyes checked or is something amiss?

Looking forward to following along this neat thread over the winter months!

Cheers!

Peter

Hey Peter,

I'll get to that momentarily. As of this moment, we don't have a complete set of factory drawings for this particular design, so we are having to cobble the plans together from the versions that we've been able to find. I have some hope that the museum at Mystic Seaport may be able to help, but not sure yet.

Tom

As Peter noticed, we don't have a complete set of drawings for this particular model. In 1939, Richardson built 8 different models from the same hull. Clark remembered that there were a couple of exterior profiles in the book "The Richardson Story." So we scanned those and then imported them to Visio and enlarged them to 26" to be the correct scale. Here are the line drawings we started with.

We then looked through the hundreds of pictures we have from 3 years of restoration work and selected the best exterior profile shot that we could find. This is the one we chose.

I spent the better part of a day before Clark arrived trying to create a 3D Drawing using Google Sketch-up, but found it to be way more time consuming than doing it the old fashioned way. More on that shortly.

Clark spent his entire career teaching drawing at the University of Tennessee, so the next bit was a no-brainer for him. He used my sliding glass door as a "poor man's light table" in order to trace the useful bits from the two line drawings from the book.

Once he had the basic hull outline completed, he reversed the profile photo of our boat and used it to create the cabinside outlines. In order to do this, he traced it first on the backside of our plan drawing, and then retraced it on the forward side to create a mirror image.

Then he spent another couple of hours adding in all of the hardware and details based on measurements of the boat that we took the previous day. After about 4 hours of drawing, we had our initial plans scaled to 1:12.

The stickiest part of the plan development is the lack of a set of hull offset drawings. Had I been thinking about this project 3 years ago when I had the boat torn apart, I could have gotten a lot more direct measurements. Today, not so much. We were able to take direct measurements of two of the main forward ribs at about 36" and 60" aft of the stem that gave us a starting point for the hull shape at the bow. I still hope to get a good set of factory drawings including the offsets. John Bowman, the historian at the Richardson Boat Owners Association remembered that a lot of the early designs were drawn by Eldredge-McInnis and subsequently modified by both Richardson and Sparkman and Stephens. He suggested that I contact Sparkman and Stephens First and then check the Museum at Mystic Seaport. I got an immediate response from Sparkman and Stephens, but unfortunately, both of their designs were larger and later models than our little boat. Still pretty interesting reading...

http://sparkmanstephens.blogspot.com...r-cruiser.html

http://sparkmanstephens.blogspot.com...r-cruiser.html

I moved on to the plans library at Mystic. The Eldredge-McInnis Plan 94.12 looks interesting. Unfortunately, they are somewhat understaffed to deal with all of the inquiries they get, so we won't know if this is the right set of drawings for 3-4 weeks. Still a great resource. Plan
    94.12 at the Mystic Seaport Museum
    Last edited by Tom Freeman; 01-05-2012 at 11:40 PM.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself with the story line. Prior to kicking-off the research on the original plans, Clark and I decided that we should try to model the hull shape from florists foam and then if needed, we could cut it into 1-2" slices athwartwise and use each segment to create a proxy for the hull offsets. We had the direct measurements from the forward stations to use as a couple of reference points and the hull outlines to get the profile correct with respect to width and depth. We had to glue up a few pieces of foam using thickened epoxy to get a rough starting point to work from.

Clark then sawed the rough shape. We sawed the form athwartwise at the appropriate stations and used templates that we created from our direct measurements to get the offsets right at those points.

Clark continued to do the rough shaping until each of the segments were roughed in, and then we glued the slices back together.

A lot of filing, sanding with various blocks and by hand got us to the final shape that we were happy with. I'm not sure yet how long it will take to get all of the foam fragments out of my shop. We think that even if we don't get a good set of drawings that we can cut this form into slices and then average the halves of each slice to get a pretty respectable set of offsets.

We are now caught up. I'm in the process of laying a couple of coats of light spackling on the foam form so that I can finish sand it to fair it and smooth it prior to giving it the salami-slicing treatment. Coat one of two is pictured below.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Tom what a great project! Thanks for sharing!
    I have had a desire to do the same with my boat someday, and have been slowly the lines off her for that someday project!
    Keep sharing, please.

Will do Cris. I wasn't sure how many folks on here would enjoy a model boat project, so I'm glad to hear that there is some interest.

Very interesting Tom! I'm currently doing just the opposite, modeling a boat first in 1/12th scale with a view to (maybe) building in 1' to 12" scale later.

Here's a few pictures:

Foam poster board section molds set up on blue board strongback:

All planked up:

Tunnel stern:

You can draw a boat on paper, or model it on a computer screen, but I think nothing beats actually being able hold it in your hands, feel it's shape, and eyeball it from every angle.

Good luck with your model -- I'm looking forward to following your build!

Thousand Islands Tom

Very cool, Tom. You are doing a nice job with your build. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

Thanks Tom, it's been great to see all the good work you've been doing on the full size boat too, it's nice that it has found such a good friend so far from home in Buffalo!

As a future source for foam carving blocks, don't forget about dock floatation billets. They are BIG, so no need to glue them (makes them hard to shape along glue lines) up first. When I rebuild my older docks with new floats I always save my old billets for that purpose -- if you weren't 3k miles away I'd be happy to give you some. :<)

T

That's a good idea on the floatation billets. With all of the floating homes and docks around here, there has to be a pretty good supply of surplus. The green florists foam is easy to carve and shape and it resists epoxy resin, but it is pricey. And you are right about the glue lines causing problems. We ended up with some hard points along the glue lines that were a real PITA to file and sand.

Another good find - Clark looked through his old issues of "The Cruisabout" (the quarterly newsletter of the Richardson Boat Owners Association) and found a set of line drawings for our model that shows both the profile and the interior accomodations. A nice add to our reference drawings.

Thanks for sharing your photos and the story about your project.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

I hoped to make some more progress on the hull this weekend, but life got in the way once again. We had to say goodbye to our little cat who has been with us for 17 years. We were a mess for the rest of the weekend. We did get out and about today, and I got the plans that Clark drew scanned and copied. Clark, I will drop a full-size copy in the mail later this week. In the meantime, here is an image to give everyone else a sense of where we are starting.

As luck would have it, the Classic Yacht Association is holding the International Change of Watch Meeting in Mystic next weekend, and one of my friends has agreed to stop by the museum and take a look at the drawings there to see if they match our boat, so we may be able to move that forward sooner than expected.
    She requires of her owner a custodial obligation and responsibility that has absolutely nothing to do with financial return on investment or annual cost of maintaining and operating her.

Amazing Tom. I am once again blown away by your attention to detail, patience, and meticulousness (is that a word?)
    Chuck Thompson

Thanks for the kind words, Chuck. Clark is the master at the drawing bits. I'm in awe every time I watch him work.

The prop arrived today from Dumas Products. It looks great. Very pleased!

Neat project Tom, thanks for sharing your progress.

Jim
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Hi Tom
    I'm hooked - I'm a bit of a 1/2 model collector & have a few pond yachts as well so this is very cool for me.

I just posted on your 'big boat' thread an idea that might be of interest to you. Check it out

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...07#post3263207

Cheers Alan
    "Old boats are like teenage girlfriends: there is a certain urgency to their needs & one neglects them at one's peril"

After procrastinating for a decent bit, I finally made time to rough sand the spackling back on the hull form and have a look at the initial shape.Before getting started, it looked a bit like a frosted cake.

Clark mentioned to me earlier this week that something looked off about the transom. He was worried that we hadn't angled it down enough toward the keel. When I looked at our reference drawings more carefully and took some relative measurements, it turned out that we were about .7 centimeters too shallow and about .5 cm too narrow at the turn of the bilge. So I re-drew the transom to match the reference photo and created a new plywood template. The innermost lines on the drawing is where I started and the outermost is where I ended up.

I then epoxied the template to the form to create a good outline to fair into. It was pretty obvious that the aft 1/3 of the hull shape would need to change.

Finally, I got back to work with the mud and faired the hull shape into the new transom profile. Now waiting for it to dry. It will probably take at least one more pass of mud to blend everything properly with sanding in between coats.

I haven't heard back yet from the crew that went to Mystic over the weekend to see if the plans there matched our design. I'm still secretly hoping to get a good set of drawings so that I can put this bit of foam and spackling in the corner of the shop and forget about it. Of course you know that even if I do get a good set of drawings, I will still finish this exercise to see how close we were able to get without a good set of plans. We are supposed to get quite a bit of snow here over the next couple of days, so I may be able to sneak in a couple of hours of shop time when I would otherwise have been commuting.

Please excuse the thread drift Tom but are those Corsair plans on the wall?
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Please excuse the thread drift Tom but are those Corsair plans on the wall?
    Yes, those are the Royal 1/8 plans blown up to 1/6 scale or 81" Wingspan. I was just getting started on that project when the boat showed up unannounced 3 years ago and put everything else on the back burner. Since then, my shop has been dedicated to stripping, painting and varnishing boat bits, and everything else has been on hold. I did manage to complete the retracting tailgear. If I think of it, I'll post a picture here.

I'd like that.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Here is a link to my tailwheel in primer. If you want to go deep on modeling a Corsair, you can follow that thread for a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
    Here is a link to my tailwheel in primer. If you want to go deep on modeling a Corsair, you can follow that thread for a couple of hours.
    Thanks Tom, I had leanings toward building a scale RC Spitfire Mk VIII one time but it never happened.

John Welsford

I did hear back from the curators at the Mystic Museum, and it looks like the drawings there aren't going to be particularly useful. I cross-referenced them against the Richardson Story and they appear to be the drawings of the original 26' cruisabout design that was initially produced in 1927. The design went through several significant revisions before the Little Giant was initially produced in the early 30s and then a few more before our model was produced in 1939. So it was a fun research project, but it looks like I need to get back to shaping our hull mold. It's amazing how slowly spackling dries in a 40 degree shop. Here are the details from Mystic. Maybe item #2 - the undated offsets for revised lines will be applicable, but I doubt it. I sent our line drawings to the staff for comparison.

CATALOG #94.12
    Eldredge-McInnis hull #107
    Richardson 26 Footer
    Cruiseabout
    2511 x 256 x 84 x 2

1. Lines and offsets, 3/4 = 1; August 1926. Note -- new sections, sheer and water line shown dotted
    2. Offsets for revised lines; not dated
    3. Deck beam plan, 3/4 = 1; September 1926
    4. Construction sections, 1 1/2 = 1; August 1926
    5. Inboard profile and cabin plan, 3/4 = 1; August 1926
    6. Outboard profile and cabin plan, 3/4 = 1; April 1927
    7. Outboard profile and deck plan, 3/4 =1; September 1926

I apologize for letting this thread die. We are still making progress. You can see the latest photos here. I'll do my best to update the thread soon.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=73C3D186AB4D5C7E&id=73C3D186AB4D5C7E%21151

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Thanks, Wiz.

Thanks for posting the photos.
    I did not want to sign in to some Microsoft junk.

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Thanks for posting the photos.
    I did not want to sign in to some Microsoft junk.
    A couple of thoughts come to mind here. First, I was arguably lazy and not in synch with the norms of the forum for posting a link and not updating the thread properly. I found myself missing the interaction here and just wanted to do something quick to get reconnected. That was my bad.

Secondly, I don't have any interest in a religious debate about what tools and services people choose to use on the interwebs. To each one's own. But to characterize SkyDrive as junk is pure ignorant bull****. It is fantastic for collaboration. Nuff said on that topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
    A couple of thoughts come to mind here. First, I was arguably lazy and not in synch with the norms of the forum for posting a link and not updating the thread properly. I found myself missing the interaction here and just wanted to do something quick to get reconnected. That was my bad.

Secondly, I don't have any interest in a religious debate about what tools and services people choose to use on the interwebs. To each one's own. But to characterize SkyDrive as junk is pure ignorant bull****. It is fantastic for collaboration. Nuff said on that topic.
    It was not to be a religious debate.
    I just do not want to join anything to see some photos.
    I should not have said that. Sorry.

No worries. I was being lazy. I hate signing up for additional services as well. I'll update the thread properly shortly.

Awesome. Glad to see this again
    Chuck Thompson