Thread: Cross tree

Default Cross tree

The masts for my Privateer 26 Schooner conversion are nearly finished. I want to rig with wooden cross trees similar to a Gloucester fishing schooner construction such as the "Smuggler".

I have a rigging plan sheet for the Smuggler that shows details for the crosstrees, trestletrees, spreader, bolster, and pad. I have the hounds fitted to the squared off upper section of the mast.

My question is: how are the crosstrees, trestletrees, etc attached to the mast? Are they screwed, bolted, glued, or fitted snuggly to the mast and supported only by the hounds?

I am using straight grained black walnut for the trestletrees, bolsters and pads. I'll use hickory or osage orange for the crosstrees and spreaders.

Thanks

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Cross tree

Part of what one wants to avoid is putting bolts THROUGH the mast, so, the things are bolted up TO the square part of the mast.
    One word of caution, be careful of shrouds laying on one another, getting CRUSHING damage. I have done damage to shrouds in earlier rigs, by not appreciating this . I now give each shroud or stay its own hound, and I stagger the hounds so that wires do not even touch one another.
    Sometimes using big boat stuff just does not work out on small craft.

Ask Morgan Volunteer if he can find out for you.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ctive-1/page17
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Part of what one wants to avoid is putting bolts THROUGH the mast, so, the things are bolted up TO the square part of the mast.
    One word of caution, be careful of shrouds laying on one another, getting CRUSHING damage. I have done damage to shrouds in earlier rigs, by not appreciating this . I now give each shroud or stay its own hound, and I stagger the hounds so that wires do not even touch one another.
    Sometimes using big boat stuff just does not work out on small craft.
    Wizbang, are you saying you would use bolts to clamp the trestletrees to the mast, but the bolts are outside of the mast?

Do you get damage to the shrouds even with serving and leathering on the loops?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Yes, The "meat" of the trestle trees are for holding the bolt. The bolt is in there , not it in the spar.
    One can serve and TLC the shrouds, and that helps to delay the damage.
    In fact, I eventually put small nogs of hard rubber, sawn from old tires, alongside shroud intersection places, so that the rubber got crushed. That is what I have on my big boat to this day. That is not traditional but it is tougher and longer lasting than leather.
    I would not put trestle trees on your wee boat. It will begin to look like a disney pirate ship